Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think this is a bit rude!?

(22 Posts)
pjmama Fri 31-Jul-09 14:36:08

Visited local indoor play centre today with 2 DC. Pretty busy, but still plenty of tables free. Found a 4 seat table, sat down and got lunch for all three of us. Tidied up table afterward we'd finished eating, left our coats and bags there and took DC to the loo.

I came back 5 mins later to find Ms overstuffed pink velour and Crocs parked at our table, with her back to me. I sat down and moved our stuff to make some space and instead of a smile, or a "do you mind if we join you?" or even a glance in my direction, she kept her back to me and and refused to even acknowledge our existence! She then proceed to scoff the packed lunch she'd brought and left her debris all over the table.

Obviously I have no issue with sharing tables when the centre is busy, but what has happened to common good manners?!

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 14:38:53

Did you say hello to her?

Maybe she was having a shit day

PortBlacksandResident Fri 31-Jul-09 14:39:26

Good manners seem to be inversely proportionate to garishness of adult attire particularly pink.

Oh and you forgot to hang your soul up at the door on the way in to the soft play centre. Leave it there next time before it shrivels and dies.

pasturesnew Fri 31-Jul-09 14:42:01

actually reading OP was your table clear with noone on it any more? Maybe she thought you were just about to leave and so didn't say anything and then when she realised you weren't was too embarrassed to break the ice too late?

pjmama Fri 31-Jul-09 14:42:17

I would have happily said hello if she had bothered to even look in my direction! Kept her back to me, and despite leaving the table and coming back a couple of times she wouldn't make eye contact and sat with her back to me every time. Not very friendly body language!

pjmama Fri 31-Jul-09 14:43:54

pasturesnew - the rucksack, shoes and coats piled on it should have been a bit of a giveaway that someone was sitting there! I'd just cleared away the lunch plates and leftovers.

PortBlacksandResident Fri 31-Jul-09 14:44:08

"Ms overstuffed pink velour and Crocs" is a bite rude too though to be fair.

mrsrawlinson Fri 31-Jul-09 14:44:32

I blame then Crocs.

Sheeta Fri 31-Jul-09 14:44:55

YABU unreasonable to go to soft play grin

PortBlacksandResident Fri 31-Jul-09 14:45:06

bit

mrsrawlinson Fri 31-Jul-09 14:45:26

The, even.

Mumcentreplus Fri 31-Jul-09 14:45:37

I blame the pink velour grin

pjmama Fri 31-Jul-09 14:51:23

PortBlacksandResident - you are right of course, I am being a bit rude about her but I'm feeling a bit hard done by wink

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 14:52:19

Perhaps she was shy or had terribly low self esteem

A little hello and a smile and a chat wouldn't have killed you

Mumcentreplus Fri 31-Jul-09 14:59:10

True Madre..she could have been shy and grumpy or stressed..aren't we being all touchy feely..<<sips Camomile Tea,pours cup for OP>>

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 15:17:24

pjmama I think actually that you were a bit rude to ignore this woman for whatever period of time you were sat near her, and then judge her based on her outfit hmm

pjmama Fri 31-Jul-09 15:20:56

I wasn't ignoring her, I was BEING ignored and her body language was making it clear she had no interest in speaking to me.

Never mind, I'll get over it I guess!

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 15:33:11

How long did you sit there not ignoring not speak to each other?

MadreInglese Fri 31-Jul-09 15:33:38

speaking

Pikelit Fri 31-Jul-09 16:04:08

Utterly agree with inverse proportions of pink to good manners. Although I honestly think that some people are genuinely unaware of the existence of courtesy. There's a particularly po-faced woman who, when one needs to share a table outside one of the few pavement caffs here in DownfromLondonville, can never bring herself to make even the briefest of acknowledgements. Instead, and I share this as possibly the best quota of the day* she always looks like a child who has just opened a toaster on Christmas Day.

(*R.Ponting)

pjmama Fri 31-Jul-09 16:20:27

We were both up and down for about half an hour I guess, with loo visits and seeing to kids. I kept trying to make eye contact, but she just wasn't having any of it and I guess I'd have felt a bit silly trying to force her to speak to me! Perhaps she was just having a bad one and didn't feel like talking and I'm being oversensitive. I'll make more of an effort next time!

Stigaloid Fri 31-Jul-09 16:30:29

why is it wrong to go to soft play?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now