Talk

Advanced search

to want to throttle (or worse) my colleague for having the cricket commentary on in the office?

(18 Posts)
arolf Fri 31-Jul-09 11:16:14

It's just so unbelievably TEDIOUS, and every time something slightly less tedious happens, all the blokes in the office cheer. Some of them are also listening to it on their headphones, which I object to less, although if they could cut down on the matcho cheering too, that'd be a bonus.

I'm busy trying to work out what on my desk can be used as a weapon.

(btw, I am the only woman, and only Scot in the office, which may explain why I find it all so deathly DULL!)

OnACaffieneHigh Fri 31-Jul-09 11:17:26

YABU !! <3 cricket grin

LaurieFairyCake Fri 31-Jul-09 11:21:12

no sympathy from a Scottish woman here wink

come ooooooooonnnnnnn England !!!!!!!!!!!! grin

put your headphones on and play yourself some soothing music - perhaps an eightsome reel? or Big Audio Dynamite? Wet Wet Wet?

<runs away>

arolf Fri 31-Jul-09 11:24:39

damn you all! I was hoping for some moral support

luckily colleague interpreted my mutterings correctly and has switched it off now. which was sensible of him, as he's relying on me to give him a lift home this evening

Katisha Fri 31-Jul-09 11:25:45

It's a bit much to have it on speakers! Glad he's turned it off!

BadgersArse Fri 31-Jul-09 11:27:43

when i was at univeristy, in the library ( science reading room - lots of fit Mech engers) there was a geeky guy who had it on his radio and put score cards up on the window next to him so eveyrone else could see.

ilovesprouts Fri 31-Jul-09 11:29:57

yanbu bloody hate it :0

cat64 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:37:33

Message withdrawn

MmeLindt Fri 31-Jul-09 11:39:45

YANBU

Fellow Scot and cricket hater.

Well, hate is a bit strong. It is so incomprehensible and bloody boring though.

UnquietDad Fri 31-Jul-09 11:43:21

You may like this - Bill Bryson on cricket (towards the bottom).

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 31-Jul-09 11:43:35

pmsl laughing at eightsome reel or Big Audio Dynamite. What about the Proclaimers or Sheena Easton at 80 decibels?

I think you will just have to cope with the macho crap. You can get your revenge by listening to the rugby when Scotland are trashing England.

arolf Fri 31-Jul-09 11:44:44

cat64 -sadly I a) don't have headphones with me, and b) since the beginning of this pregnancy, headphones make me chuck - just the feeling of them on my ears - no idea why, but anythign touching both ears at once is guaranteed to send me running for a bucket.

and MmeLindt -it's not so much that I hate cricket, I just hate the blanket media coverage of it as if it's something interesting and important! If they gave the same coverage to good sports (i.e. 3 day eventing) I'd be less unimpressed

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 31-Jul-09 11:46:23

I used to have to update the office regularly when the ashes were last on, and I worked in an office with a load of old farts cricket fans (was the only one with internet access and radios were banned).

I would read out some gobbledegook like Strauss has 124-4 in 24.3 overs, or some such nonsense.

AitchTwoOh Fri 31-Jul-09 11:46:53

i quite like the chatter and noise of it, i must say, despite not having the slightest idea what's going on. [jock]

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 31-Jul-09 11:48:38

I mean what the bloody hell does 24.3 overs actually mean (please nobody actually answer this question, I am genuinely not interested in teh answer). How can you have decimal points in sports scores fgs.

arolf Fri 31-Jul-09 11:48:42

unquiet dad - yep, I like the perspective of Bryson - however, he is a mad baseball fan, and that is a sport which I almost find duller than cricket

living next to a baseball stadium for 6 months was, um, interesting.

and proclaimers are great! 'I'm on my way, from misery to happiness today' sung at high volume all the way home should convey my feelings about being exposed to cricket commentary to my colleague this evening

AitchTwoOh Fri 31-Jul-09 11:49:36

baseball, fgs, you can sit through an entire match and not one sodding run is scored.

MmeLindt Fri 31-Jul-09 12:00:18

Proclaimers is good.

ROFL at Bill Bryson. "Fucking muckle fucket in the gucking muckle"

Sounds like a great pub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now