Talk

Advanced search

for a 7 year old to constantly talk about marrying my 6 year old

(46 Posts)
SingleMum01 Thu 30-Jul-09 17:51:38

thinking its a bit odd. She also talks about them having babies and I've had to stop her pretending (with sounds and all) to have them in the playhouse and kissing him? It all seems a bit OTT to me.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 30-Jul-09 17:53:11

I think it's all very normal. Maybe she's just discovered romance.

Mumcentreplus Thu 30-Jul-09 17:57:57

LOL..it's strange but some children are like that...my 4yr was married in a secret ceremony at school grin...she has a friend who is totally in love with her and wants to marry her legally as soon as possible

FlyMeToDunoon Thu 30-Jul-09 18:03:10

My 4 yr old is obsessed with an older male [5] and has talked about marrying him for over a year now.

Pikelit Thu 30-Jul-09 18:12:06

You've got a son. They can be as unwilling to commit at seven as they are at 37. Hence you'll probably find the whole idea as OTT as I did. Girls can be very different!

Mumcentreplus Thu 30-Jul-09 18:25:50

I already have in-laws <<weeps>> grin

hercules1 Thu 30-Jul-09 18:31:31

Very normal. My 5 year old dd is trying to decide still which of her 2 year 6 boyfriends she is going to marry. She is obsessed looking forward to the day.

Morloth Thu 30-Jul-09 18:42:37

My son is a totally womaniser, he has married around three little girls in his class and dumped them all for another one who started later in the term because she has lovely pig tails.

Sounds pretty normal to me.

franklymydear Thu 30-Jul-09 18:46:06

I find that odd (and I have boys and girls) I think a 5 or 6 year old should be a child and not a pseudo-romantic playing at marrying friends - I think that must be reinforced by parents / adults which makes it continue

NormaSknockers Thu 30-Jul-09 18:46:53

Sounds normal to me, although DD is still at the stage of wanting to marry Daddy (she's only 3)

hercules1 Thu 30-Jul-09 18:47:38

franklymydear - it's perfectly normal behaviour. You are the one putting an adult perspective on it not them.

lol "Adult reinforcement"

southeastastra Thu 30-Jul-09 18:47:41

i remember marrying my emu puppet off to another puppet at about 6

hercules1 Thu 30-Jul-09 18:48:05

Ds had 3 wives when he was 3.

tkband3 Thu 30-Jul-09 18:49:20

DD1 and her best friend are both marrying a boy in their class - he's said it's ok, cos you can have 2 wives apparently (his mother's parents are divorced and re-married, so this makes sense to him), but he wants them all to live with his mum grin.

itchyandscratchy Thu 30-Jul-09 18:52:44

perfectly normal. You will look silly if you make an issue out of it. Just ignore it if you don't like it.

serenity Thu 30-Jul-09 18:52:50

DD(5) is marrying DS2's best friends 6YO brother (allegedly). It makes me feel twitchy when she starts going on about it (DS1 and 2 thinks it's hilarious) but she's 5, it doesn't mean anything - it's role playing of a sort, she's not really a black belt, pirate princess either.

LynetteScavo Thu 30-Jul-09 18:58:31

DS2 has just anounced that he is going to marry his dad.

RustyBear Thu 30-Jul-09 19:00:01

My DD married a boy from her class in a playground ceremony (complete with vicar, best man and bridesmaids) when she was six and a half - they had played the Innkeeper and his wife in the Nativity Play the previous Christmas and apparently decided they made a good couple.

It didn't last long, though - DD's 'husband' read out to the whole class his story about 'My Wedding' with a description of his 'wife' "She has long black hair and she is gorgeous, but I don't like it when she sucks her thumb"

DD was mortified and announced crossly that her next story would be 'My Divorce'!

wb Thu 30-Jul-09 19:11:48

lol RustyBear

Ds1 wants to marry me. I haven't told him yet that I'm actually a bigamist (married once in playground aged 5, again in 30s to dh). smile

littlebrownmouse Thu 30-Jul-09 19:17:44

DS (6) is grappling with the age old dilemma of having two fiancees and not being sure which one he wants to marry. They have rings made of pipe cleaners and everything. Tis very innocent and cute. Am shocked that franklymydear thinks its in anyway not normal or somehow inappropriate. They're acting out adult roles in the same way that they play at going shopping and making the tea. Its no different to them, there's no sex involved!

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 30-Jul-09 19:19:08

yup, it's just play. remember playing "mummies and dadies" when you were a kid?

squilly Thu 30-Jul-09 19:20:26

DD went through this phase at 5/6 and most absolutely gave up on the idea at 7/8. Now she's mortified at the suggestion of boyfriends! I'm sure your dd will grow out of it soon.

choufleur Thu 30-Jul-09 19:21:13

DS (3) is going to marry my friends little girl (5) when they are grown up. they are going to live in our house but i will have to live with them as DS is not allowed to touch hot things (so sweet).

franklymydear Thu 30-Jul-09 19:21:21

absolutely parental reinforcement. Natural to do it a couple of times or have a short phase of doing it and then moving on but continually and ongoing means there is an adult somewhere laughing and applauding and giving positive reactions to this kind of play to make it continue interminabl

so yes actually Hercules1 I do think there is Adult reinforcement (presumably not conscious but definitely there)

hercules1 Thu 30-Jul-09 19:21:50

Yes, I do laugh. So?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now