Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at Religious Questioning in the Street?

(28 Posts)
migandtig Thu 30-Jul-09 10:59:27

For some reason the Jehovas Witnesses have moved into our town (maybe we are a bunch of heathens worthy of Missionaries?); and much as I accept the twice yearly door knock as part of what they do, they are now continually lurking on the street stopping me every time I walk into town.

I had a Christian upbringing, but am not sure I believe in it enough to pass onto DS; and DH is a committed Scientist and Atheist (and fan of Richard Dawkins?) So maybe I?m not in the best position to talk religion in the street as I?m highly unsure and probably an easy target; but AIBU to wish they would stop harassing me??

nickytwotimes Thu 30-Jul-09 11:01:46

Yanbu.
I find it best to just say 'Sorry, not now' and keep walking.
Don't stop and try to enter into a discussion. They are not willing to listen.

TheCrackFox Thu 30-Jul-09 11:02:23

YANBU - it would piss me off too. However, being visibly pissed off doesn't seem to stop people trying to impose their views on others.

lisad123 Thu 30-Jul-09 11:03:27

well just walk passed or tell them your not intrested, not differcult to be polite. Im sure they havent moved into your town to bug you, but there are alot of them, so maybe there is a new hall in the area.

bruffin Thu 30-Jul-09 11:13:48

When I worked at home JW's came every wednesday morning and even if I didn't answer the door and I was still caught out as I had a swimming lesson and they would be hovering in the street, usually a gang of about 10 of them.

Then every saturday morning when I take dcs swimming I always get accosted by Mormons.

Rafi Fri 31-Jul-09 12:24:48

Apparently telling them you're Catholic puts them off. I've never actually tried it though.

YANBU to be irritated - between them & the chuggers, there are times when blinkers seem like a good idea!

Mumcentreplus Fri 31-Jul-09 12:37:33

Jehovahs Witnesses don't just move into your town lol...they are always there..they are just doing street witnessing I don't do it very often and only for a particular period..

if you don't want them to call on you just tell them and they will make a note of your door number..simples smile

Mumcentreplus Fri 31-Jul-09 12:40:02

Rafi..more people from Catholicism convert to JW than any other religion..grin

shootfromthehip Fri 31-Jul-09 12:40:58

Tell them you're a Mormon- it goes down like a lead balloon!!! [wink}

Rafi Fri 31-Jul-09 12:47:20

Thanks Mumcentreplus I won't try saying it then! grin

I see JW women most mornings at Finsbury Park station, just standing there with their literature.... must take a lot of commitment to do that every day.

Pikelit Fri 31-Jul-09 13:36:24

I walk past with a militantly aetheistic expression on my face. If cornered I always tell them I'll ask St. Teresa for intercession on their behalf. Trust me, they don't like Popery!

Rafi Fri 31-Jul-09 14:06:21

I normally hold my mobile to my ear & look worried.

mrsrawlinson Fri 31-Jul-09 14:41:30

I seem to have inadvertantly hit upon a method of deterring them. I rather enjoy a bit of a rant about religion and was delighted when the JWs came to our door. I invited them in, made them coffee, put out biscuits (chocolate ones and everything!) and spent the next hour and a half putting all by best Dawkins arguments into practice. I had a lovely time and invited them back whenever they wanted for another chat. "Bring your friends if you like," I said. That was over a year ago, and I've seen them in the street but they've never called in.... sad

lisad123 Fri 31-Jul-09 15:00:57

mrsraw maybe it is because its clear you have strong believes of your own, its clear you arent going to be intrested

Street work is coming more common as its hard to find people at home during the day grin

Mumcentreplus Fri 31-Jul-09 15:02:39

True lisa..

comewhinewithme Fri 31-Jul-09 15:07:16

Tell them not to get close as you have swine flu grin.

Pruneurs Fri 31-Jul-09 15:08:17

I find being questioned in the street (not specifically by religious types) really stressful. I don't know why. It's something to do with assuming that I will not be bothered in my thoughts and then I am expected to come back with a simple response out of the blue to a question that has many difficult avenues to go down. I actually think it's incredibly rude to witness in the street and on a par with chugging, certainly.

So if it's rude behaviour, why is it assumed that we need only be polite?

merrymonsters Fri 31-Jul-09 15:20:35

I just walk past and say 'not interested'. I don't think there's any need to be terribly polite about it or to make excuses.

Rafi Sat 01-Aug-09 19:27:45

It's the free paper distributors I find most annoying - again, I know they're just doing their job, but at least I can walk past a chugger or a JW. When someone's shoving a paper in my face it feels much more intrusive.

slng Sat 01-Aug-09 19:30:30

Try selling them double-glazing.

funtimewincies Sat 01-Aug-09 19:31:28

I just answer that my beliefs are my own affair, thank you and walk on/close the door.

I don't see why I should have to justify what I do or do not believe to anyone.

KayHarkerIsKayHarker Sat 01-Aug-09 19:31:44

A firm no thankyou should be adequate. From their perspective they're trying to do you a favour, not annoy you.

siouxsiesiouxandthebanshees Sat 01-Aug-09 19:35:43

How hard is a polite
'Not today, I am very busy, thankyou.' followed by a nice smile. I always find that I can then walk away with a clear concience. smile

funtimewincies Sat 01-Aug-09 20:56:54

Quite hard to be properly polite sometimes when you've had no sleep, are lugging a buggy, a tantrumming toddler, shopping, you're late for the bus home and they just pick that moment (must have a wish to see the afterlife early) to leap into your path.

I'm obviously in more need of salvation that some of you if you can be unfailingly polite every time grin!

Pruneurs Sun 02-Aug-09 00:19:33

I'm a polite person normally, but I don't feel the need to have a clear conscience with this. I accept that I will be approached to buy things in shops, I might be asked about religious exploration in a church playgroup, etc, but the street is, bizarrely, quite private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now