Talk

Advanced search

AIBU - to not feed my mum's cats while she is on holiday.......

(45 Posts)
BlueSmarties Wed 29-Jul-09 19:01:24

Mum & Dad have gone away on holiday and before they went they asked me to feed their cats. I've got 2 young kids so although it would be a bit of a pain to drag them out twice a day for cat feeding its not far to go and wouldn't be too much hassle, esp considering how much M&D have done for me.

But I said no. Now before you start thinking- 'what a heartless cow'.......

My 20 year old brother is home from uni with no summer job and the reason he can't feed the cats is because he likes to sleep in late so they might not get fed til lunchtime!!!!!

I said I'm sure the cats would adjust to the new feeding time - but my grandad thinks I'm an ungrateful unhelpful cow.

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 19:04:49

yanbu

lazy brother should do it

what is he? the prodigal fucking son ?

differentID Wed 29-Jul-09 19:06:11

it's about time your brother got a kick up the arse. Tell your granddad to nag him to grow up

BlueSmarties Wed 29-Jul-09 19:07:10

i think so - when i was at uni i was fully expected to work full time even during exams and study leave - but apparently he needs his rest

BennyAndJoon Wed 29-Jul-09 19:07:22

FFS YANBU - brother should do it

Send DH round to put a catflap in his bedroom door, then the cats can remind him grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 29-Jul-09 19:07:41

Call your brother every morning at cat feeding time (assuming they don't waken him anyway grin). He can go back to bed after.

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 29-Jul-09 19:07:51

Good grief.
I think I might agree to it, then let the dc run in at 7am and bounce all over your bro

PestoSoggyMonster Wed 29-Jul-09 19:08:01

I would go & do it to start with, but make sure you do it LOUDLY and have to go upstairs and ASK your brother WHERE the cat food is kept. Your DC's could help you in this task, in a manner that they see fit (possibly jumping on him in bed?).

When he complains, you could then suggest he does the task himself otherwise he will be getting a rude awakening every morning that your parents are away.

PrincessToadstool Wed 29-Jul-09 19:15:47

I'd do it and wake the fecker up, as early as you can manage.

shigella92 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:28:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curiositykilled Wed 29-Jul-09 19:32:42

YANBU - bro should do it. If your parents are not satisfied with the time your bro would do it they should pay for a cattery.

monkeypinkmonkey Wed 29-Jul-09 19:32:45

Do it and wake him up!!! lazy begger.

IotasCat Wed 29-Jul-09 19:38:04

Yanbu, db is a lazy arse, but I suggest that a bowl of dried food is left out overnight as well.
My cat always has dried food available because he likes to eat little and often.

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 29-Jul-09 19:42:47

WTF?

YA so not U at all.

My bro is a bit like this hmm

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 29-Jul-09 19:45:07

YAB a bit U as it isn't the cats fault your brother is a lazy sod.

I agree that you should take the children round and let me run riot. grin

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 29-Jul-09 19:45:30

Yanbu, but I would be torn between wanting to put my foot down and the other (absolutely excellent) option of getting the kids to jump on him first thing in the morning, im leaning more to the latter!!

MrsGuyofGisbourne Wed 29-Jul-09 19:53:44

yanbu, but just for the fun of it, another vote for going and letting the kids run riot!

CyradisTheSeer Wed 29-Jul-09 19:56:30

Message withdrawn

TheProfiteroleThief Wed 29-Jul-09 19:56:50

At a practical level - he could set the food up with a timer so he could do it the night before.

Or do your parents think he is a plonker who might starve/burn the house down/go out leaving the doors open unless you keep an eye on him?

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 29-Jul-09 19:58:15

Started thinking YABU but then read about your brother.
Still think you should start doing it at 7 am, armed with your dcs and some cybals, a VERY LOUD recorder and possible some maracas.

Then say loudly 'go and play with your Uncle Blah for a few minutes while I push the hoover around outside his door.'

Then put on a Disney Princess CD at full volume.

I am fairly sure your problem will be sloved

icedgemsrock Wed 29-Jul-09 19:59:16

cats do not need feeding twice a day.
they can be fed every other day if you leave tons of dried food out!
so yanbu - no way would i be round twice a day it's a right pita to drag your children out when you don't want to.

curiositykilled Wed 29-Jul-09 20:02:21

I'm not sure punishing the bro is the way to go. It's the parents that have got it wrong. If they can't make provision for their cats then they shouldn't have them and if their son is too lazy/inept to be trusted to feed the cats then they (the parents) need to sort him out.

BlueSmarties Wed 29-Jul-09 20:17:57

Grandad also asked me to pop round every couple of days to do the washing up - coz there are 2 brothers and girlfriends living there on and off too - and take their laundry back to mine so mum wouldn't have to do it when she got back.

Hoenstly mum islike their slave - she's still having chemo anf running round like their domestic servant.

I will go round morning before they come back to sort out washing and straighten out house.Just can't understand how they get away with it - i was totally self sufficient then moved out as soon as I was an adult - don't know how they can be soooooo lazy and why they get away with it.

AnyFucker Wed 29-Jul-09 20:20:53

you are a mug if you do any of it, tbh

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 29-Jul-09 20:21:27

crikey bluesmarties what a nightmare - I would be spitting.

Sorry to hear about your mum.

Your brothers really need a good hard boot up the arse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now