Talk

Advanced search

To get secret botox?

(19 Posts)
wasabipeas Wed 29-Jul-09 14:41:56

I've been thinking about getting botox for a few years now. I'm not getting any younger and summers of sun worshiping in my 20s are starting to catch up with me...

I brought the subject up with DH a few times and he is dead against it. Not for any particular reason - his arguments against it have ranged from 'you'll get hooked on plastic surgery end up looking like the Bride of Wilderstein' to 'it is weird'

His latest threat was that if I get botox, he is going to get hair transplants (he is starting to recede) but I don't think he ever would.

My SiL has been having it done for a few years and has recommended her doctor and offered to hold my hand, so I'm very tempted to just sod 'im and get it done anyway and not tell him. I don't think he is the type who would actually notice - he certainly never notices if I get my hair done.

AIBU?

paisleyleaf Wed 29-Jul-09 14:43:49

Do you not want him to do the hair thing then?

Nancy66 Wed 29-Jul-09 14:44:28

You're right he probably won't notice the effects - but would he notice the money?

wasabipeas Wed 29-Jul-09 14:45:37

nah, we have totally separate finances. It isn't that much - £250 and the effects last for up to a year. Certainly less than some of my friends spend on creams, potions and facials

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 29-Jul-09 14:46:51

YANBU if you've got a good reason prepared for any adverse reactions/swellings/rashes that can sometimes appear wink

noddyholder Wed 29-Jul-09 14:48:08

i have been tempted for ages too.Am thinking frownies just aren't doing it any more although avon serum has had some effect.I would go ahead esp if the money is not an issue.He will never get a hair transplant too painful!!!!!

wasabipeas Wed 29-Jul-09 14:48:40

Paisley, I would rather he didn't have a Donald Trump-esque rug effect. He has no intention of doing it - he would be crucified at work.

cheesesarnie Wed 29-Jul-09 14:50:14

yanbu.if youve got a recommendation and youve thought if through-why not?!

BitOfFun Wed 29-Jul-09 14:50:45

Go for it - beauty secrets are just that wink

prettyfly1 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:03:31

you dont see celebs announcing their latest top up do ya. seriously a womans beauty secrets are just that - secret. Go somewhere good and tell him its down to a new wonder serum

MarshaBrady Wed 29-Jul-09 15:04:48

Go for it. It will be interesting to see if he notices.

Does your SIL look good/better?

Chevre Wed 29-Jul-09 15:05:32

does it really last a year?

wasabipeas Wed 29-Jul-09 15:11:30

Chevre - between 6 months and a year depending on how quickly your body ahem, flushes out the toxins
SiL seems to think the first few times last longer, but I would make a promise to myself to never have it done more frequently than that...
Marsha, she doesn't look better - she looks exactly the same, which I think is the point. I don't want to look 21 in time, but I would feel better if I don't look any more hagged than I am already

curiositykilled Wed 29-Jul-09 15:15:57

I can't see why anyone would want to put poison in their face but if you do and you can pay for it yourself why not? I probably wouldn't want to do it behind my husband's back though. I'd probably rather tell him that I was doing it because I wanted to do it and if he wanted hair transplants that would be up to him! lol

Nancy66 Wed 29-Jul-09 15:20:03

Wasipeas - i have Botox and there's no way your first lot will last a year. Three months is more realistic. The more you have the longer it lasts. I've been having it for about six years now and mine lasts about 9 months.

I would also only ever get it done by a doctor, never a beautician.

pipholder Wed 29-Jul-09 18:39:26

I've been doing it secretly for the past three years now blush
I squirrel away money each month - just remember to have a concealer at the ready as your forehead can look a bit bruised at first. Shhh

thedolly Wed 29-Jul-09 18:56:47

YABU - tell him.

lilacclaire Wed 29-Jul-09 19:10:12

I get mine done secretly as well, dp is also dead against things like this.
Also 3 months for your first time is more realistic.
Men don't need to know all our beauty secrets!

littleducks Wed 29-Jul-09 19:21:19

If you want to put him off hair transplants get hold of the Jon and Kate plus 8 episode (Discovery Health) where Jon gets one, it shows in graphic detail, cutting out a section ofd his scalp, drilling holes to put folices in etc. He wont want it then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now