Talk

Advanced search

to think a brand new doctors surgery should have a bloody hoist!

(72 Posts)
sarah293 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:52:26

Message withdrawn

Tamarto Wed 29-Jul-09 13:54:06

The planning for some new buildings now is ridiculous, the pay more attention to what it will look like outside instead of making sure it is suitable for the purpose it's being built for.

norktasticninja Wed 29-Jul-09 13:55:48

That's crazy! Surely a hoist should be standard equipment? Have you made an official complaint?

sarah293 Wed 29-Jul-09 13:57:20

Message withdrawn

cheshirekitty Wed 29-Jul-09 19:52:22

YANBU Riven. When building surgeries, hospitals etc I think they should involve the users - patients and staff (frontline) to help with planning.

The number of hospitals I have worked in that have bathrooms too small for hoists, doors too narrow for wheelchairs etc.

People in wheelchairs should have the same access to medical care as non-wheelchair users. Your dd has obviously not received this. Make a complaint to the the manager of the surgery.

swineofthetimes Wed 29-Jul-09 19:55:42

That's shit riven - it really is.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 29-Jul-09 19:57:51

YANBU at all.

I hope you can find the energy to write to the practise manager and express your huge disappointments.

treedelivery Wed 29-Jul-09 19:59:22

Idiots.

My mum reckons that disabled access is aimed at a particular type of disabled person. She says that type has spending power and a mobility scooter - so now your GP surgery looks like M&S but is of no use to anyone with complex needs.

treedelivery Wed 29-Jul-09 20:03:11

Ha! That post made me sound a bigoted witch!
To explain myself - so for example, the toilet has a wide door - good. Toilet with grab rails - good. No room for a carer to lift, steady and move at each side - bad. Hopeless when the man in your care is 16 stone and unsteady on his feet.

So it's a token effort, great for those who need some support, but no good when really put to it.

Would they visit at home, or would you rather go there?

cheshirekitty Wed 29-Jul-09 20:04:06

Riven - just a thought. Next time you take your dd to the surgery and they cannot move her because they have no hoist, ask them to complete an IR1 (they will know what that is).

They have to send IR1's to the Risk Assesors.

If they get enough IRl's you might (hopefully) get a hoist for your surgery.

treedelivery Wed 29-Jul-09 20:05:58

Thats a good idea

laweaselmys Wed 29-Jul-09 20:07:23

our GP is on the second floor and has the world's smallest lift as access... but at least it is very old! Very bad planing IMO. I wouldn't just be complaining to the GP, but also to the council and the newspapers.

Sometimes I think they forget to accommodate severely disabled people on the basis that they/their carers will be too busy to make a big fuss about it.

I hope they will provide a suitable way around it.

Sidge Wed 29-Jul-09 20:08:35

That's crap but sadly not unusual.

Our surgery, built less than a year ago, has won some sort of access award - seemingly because it's all on one level, automatic doors and wide door into the surgery and wide corridors.

HOWEVER I pointed out to them that due to the way they had arranged the seating in the waiting area you couldn't actually get into the disabled loo with a Maclaren Major, let alone a wheelchair hmm. And the disabled loo has an accessible toilet and sink but no changing facility for older children/teens/adults. So you still have to change them on the floor.

It seems that whoever is consulted on planning is sadly lacking in any real-world experience.

lal123 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:11:20

I've never seen a GP surgery with a hoist - even the new ones. Under the DDA they only have to do what is reasonable, and I don't think that many GPs would see a hoist as reasonable. As well as the hoist there's staff training, maintenance etc for what is a very small number of patients.

My advice is that if you know of a GP surgery which has a hoist then join that practice

Re IR1s - GPs are under no obligation to complete IR1s or to forward them to anyone - they are independant business men/women who should have systems in place for risk assessment/incident reporting, but they don't have to stick ridgidly to any system.

laweaselmys Wed 29-Jul-09 20:14:04

I think... in fact I know from one experience that access awards don't seem to be always given out by people who know what it really means.

When I worked at a coffee store a local MP came in to say our store had been nominated for an access award (I think because we were very hospitable towards several groups of adults with learning difficulties who came in regularly with their carers) I pointed out to the bloke that although we had a disabled toilet and a ramp to get into the store - there wasn't one to get in to the toilet, and there was no grip on the tiles for the tiled section of the store which made that area of the store a bit of an ice rink for anyone using crutches. He totally ignored me!

cheshirekitty Wed 29-Jul-09 20:15:09

Personally I feel that Riven (and family) should have the choice of which GP they choose, not just have to go to the one with a hoist.

JodieO Wed 29-Jul-09 20:17:32

I've never seen a gp surgery with a hoist either but I do think it would be a good idea. My dad is a wheelchair user (tetraplegic C4, I believe) and although the care here is good (it's also a relatively new surgery) they do not have hoists.

I was under the impression that gps were under the employment of the health authority and not independant though.

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 20:18:12

staff training for a hoist is nothing at all - I had trainig to use a hoist as a bog standard bottom of the pile care assistant. They were the stingiest employers going - but even they managed to train us to use a hoist - which actually is't as complicated as they look (once you figure out which hooks go on which bits, and make sure you've got the same length ones on each side).

YANBU at all riven.

lal123 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:18:20

Every GP will have their pros and cons - meeting the needs of different patient groups - it just wouldn't be practical or affordable for allhealth premises to be completely disabled friendly/accessible. In an ideal world of course all Helath premises would have all the facilities needed - but this is the real world.

Who's going to pay for all the work that would need done??

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 20:19:16

I don't know if there's a hoist in our GP's or not - obviously I can't see into all the back rooms and cupboards - so could well be a portable one there. Which is all that would be needed surely?

lal123 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:20:25

FAQ - training for hoists is more complicated than that when you are talking about choosing which hoist to use for children/adults. Your stingy employers obviously chose the most basic training going.

GPs are not employed by health authority - they have direct contracts with the NHS, and are independant contractors.

FAQtothefuture Wed 29-Jul-09 20:20:35

what work do you need to have done to have a portable hoist? None whatsoever - we manourvered ours round what was a effectively a large house! I don't think Riven is expecting there to be a permanent fitted hoist in each room etc - they don't take up that much space the portable ones.

laweaselmys Wed 29-Jul-09 20:21:59

Why is a hoist unreasonable? GP's should have whatever equipment they need to examine their patients. For some a hoist is necessary so they need one. That's kind of obvious surely?

I don't think a publically funded medical establishment could justify it being unreasonable to accommodate their disabled patients when being able to do just that is one of the reasons they are even there.

JodieO Wed 29-Jul-09 20:22:21

lal23 - so wheelchair users aren't entitled to the same standard of care that non-wheelchair users are then, in essence? Why should wheelchair users be discriminated against? There are laws against this. It doesn't take an ideal world, it's the real world actually.

lal123 Wed 29-Jul-09 20:23:27

but you need to assess individual patients for slings? If you've got staff working in a GPs who only ever use slings/hoists once or twice a year how do you keep their skills up? I never suggested a tracking hoist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now