Talk

Advanced search

More of an "Is it ok?"

(25 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Wed 29-Jul-09 11:24:04

Message withdrawn

LisaD1 Wed 29-Jul-09 11:27:26

It would depend how far the car was away from me, if I could still see it, if baby was asleep etc. If I couldn't see the car at all times I would take baby with me. You can buy covers to go over car seats, or maybe just put a raincoat over while you dash in.

Just what I would do.

Mamazon Wed 29-Jul-09 11:30:26

can you see baby at all times?

are you assured that a meteor wont land on your car within the 30 seconds it takes?

can you be certain that your car won't suddenly combust?

if your happy that she'll be ok then fine. if your worried that she wont then dont

FranSanDisco Wed 29-Jul-09 11:38:14

I'd feel happier taking her in if it's more than a minute or two.

Mumcentreplus Wed 29-Jul-09 11:46:40

Mamazon grin

personally if I couldn't see the car 5 mins would be too long does DS usually just go straight in?..just fling a blanket over the car-seat and bring her if you are worried..

vanimal Wed 29-Jul-09 12:22:10

I usually leave DD2 in the car - takes 2 mins to drop DD1 in, I explain that DD2 is in the car and I need to dash.

Car is visible most (but not all) of the time.

<awaits flaming>

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 29-Jul-09 12:24:09

I would want to leave her but would panic something would happen.

How about you leave her, take your son in and then go and get her if you are going to be more than a minute?

JodieO Wed 29-Jul-09 12:24:17

I'd take her in with you.

MissSunny Wed 29-Jul-09 12:24:54

Message withdrawn

MummaSquared Wed 29-Jul-09 16:03:02

At my sons nursery a sign went up very recently saying that due to updated child protection laws it is now an offence to leave your child in the car unsupervised and that the nursery staff will report you if you are seen doing it.

I have never even thought of leaving either of mine for just a minute, but then I am a natural born worrier!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 29-Jul-09 16:14:57

Really?

What about when paying for fuel?

cheesesarnie Wed 29-Jul-09 16:17:52

id take baby in and risk melting.

i hate when dh leaves the dc in the car when paying for petrol or shopping.

clumsymum Wed 29-Jul-09 16:21:09

Parked in a car park, or on the side of a busy road?

Personally, I'd leave her in the car (esp if in a private carpark, doubly so if shes asleep).

But apparently I was VERY laid back about such things (was 10 years ago since DS was a baby).

curiositykilled Wed 29-Jul-09 16:25:17

I would take her - not worth the risk!

ineedalifelaundry Wed 29-Jul-09 16:25:53

I leave DD in the car when paying for petrol but you can always see the car at the petrol station, even from inside the kiosk.

I think in the situation the OP describes I would definitely take her in with me. If I can't see the car or think I'll be more than 1 minute, she comes with.

FimbleHobbs Wed 29-Jul-09 16:27:42

Our nursery has a private car park and is on a no stopping road, so there wouldn't be anyone around that hadn't specifically gone to the nursery iyswim.

So I would and have left baby in car when dropping/collecting older child.

So what did you do in the end?

staranise Wed 29-Jul-09 16:53:06

My friend ummed and ahhed about taking her sleeping two children out of the car to the cashpoint (which she had parked in front of). She took them out, luckily, as a lorry went into the back of the car and wrote it off as she stood (with the children) at the cashpoint...

I am normally v laid back about this sort of thing but never leave kids in the car, no matter how inconvenient.

Cheepz Wed 29-Jul-09 17:00:24

i am clearly a terrible mother, i have left ds in the car while dropping off dry cleaning or collecting which can take 3 or 4 mins even if i can't see the car (dry cleaning counter is in sainsburys), but only if he is asleep, car has dark windows in the back so noone could see him and car is locked of course, and in a car park, with cameras and security, also leave him in when pay for petrol.

but he is such a terrible sleeper have reached the point of feeling like i would have to be insane to wake him unecessarily ...

having read staranise post might reconsider now - very personal choice i think - depends how worried you are

Boys2mam Wed 29-Jul-09 21:08:14

YABU

I read a post on MN recently which pointed out a previously unthought of position (to me at least) - what if something happened to you and no-one realised your baby was waiting, unsupervised, in the car. Now I know this is unlikely but so are abductions, firebombs in cars and staranise story so I now never leave my DS's alone.

Toffeepopple Wed 29-Jul-09 21:17:54

I leave mine in the car when I pay for petrol. I think of the two risks - walking across the forecourt with them, or them being in the car - they are safer in the car.

In any other situation, I would take them both.

norksinmywaistband Wed 29-Jul-09 21:21:03

In your situation I would wait a couple on minutes and ask one of the other mums who come out to watch the baby - frequent job at my DS preschool
Or telephone the nursery and See if a member of staff could come out and take the older child in for you

Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Wed 29-Jul-09 21:26:23

I woudl take her in or grab another mum who you know well and ask them to take your ds in or to sit with dd while you nip in. In answer to the petrol station question i would take them in if i had too but generally pay at the pump.

slowreadingprogress Wed 29-Jul-09 22:06:54

found it possible to either pay at pump, or get petrol when ds not with me.

I know two people who have had their stationary, parked, cars crashed into who had only just taken their child out; and staranise's post is another awful example. It does happen. Agree that also there is the risk to be considered of something happening to you while you're out of sight of the car.

It's easy to think of a car as a little home from home and they're all cocooned in there but that's just not what cars are. Basically alone in a car they are alone in a public place.

raffyandted Wed 29-Jul-09 22:15:50

Oh dear. When Ds was about 2 I left him asleep in the car whilst I dropped off a prescription request at the drs. Car was outside (but on the street,)I could see the car and I was literally 2 minutes & it was purely because I didn't want to wake him.

When I came out there were two women walking past & I heard them muttering about 'fancy leaving a little child in the car,' etc. I looked daggers at them, but after reading this and all the awful things that may have happened I think it was a bit daft.

EmmaPr Wed 29-Jul-09 22:18:12

I have dropped off DD1 at nursery whilst DD2 was left in car but the car was parked very close to the nursery and I didn't go into the nursery, I always kept my eyes on the car.
I don't like getting petrol whilst both DDs are in the car as I have to leave them whilst I pay. But again, I'm not far and I keep my eyes on the car.

I would NEVER leave my children in the car if I couldn't see them - like boys2mam says - what if something happens to you, let alone someone trying to get into the car. What if the children wake up and get scared? I don't believe popping into sainsburys to pick up dry cleaning only takes 3 minutes. Everyone always says 'I was only away for a minute'.

It is more effort but I always take the children out of the car if I'm going somewhere where I won't be able to see them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now