Talk

Advanced search

am i being unreasonable in thinking that the college should pay for their mistake?

(6 Posts)
secretgardin Tue 28-Jul-09 23:47:52

on the night i sat my exam, i noticed that my first name was spelt wrong and brought this to the attention of the staff, who rectified it on the list. two months later, i received my certificate to find that i am now someone else hmm i phoned up the operator and she told me to send the certificate back to the college with a note explaining what happened and that a new one will be on the way soon. i rang the college today (1 month later) to be told that they haven't received it, as it was not sent directly to their department. i can have a black and white copy of it though( with the wrong name!) or wait for it... would have to pay £25 to get a new one angry. i know it doesn't seem like a lot of money, but considering that they accept the blame and have a copy with the mistaken name on it, shouldn't they carry the cost? unfortunately we are on a very tight budget at this time and every penny counts, which is why i did the course in the first place, with a lot of help and babysitting from family and friends. am i wrong in wanting to stamp my feet and wanting a new shiny certificate with my right name on it...or do i change my name by deed poll to elmarze grin

TeamEdward Tue 28-Jul-09 23:50:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

leftangle Tue 28-Jul-09 23:53:22

YANBU
Of course they should pay - not that it will cost them more than pennies anyway.

secretgardin Tue 28-Jul-09 23:58:59

they are insisting that i have to carry the cost even though my name is spelt right on the enrolment form. the woman was terribly polite while repeating this fact, which made my blood boil even more. couldn't catch the sightest hint of snarkiness on her voice, otherwise i would have let rip

arolf Wed 29-Jul-09 10:19:34

can you take the issue to someone higher up than the woman you spoke to? If you hassle them enough, they will probably back down eventually. Maybe put your complaint in writing, and copy in you tutor, and head of your course, and anyone else you can think of. If it's just the college registry (or whoever) you're dealing with, then it's no wonder they are being difficult - I think it's their job to be awful (not that I'm speaking from bitter experience or anything...)

TwoHot Wed 29-Jul-09 10:22:07

Make your complaint in writing and copy in the Chancellor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now