Talk

Advanced search

To think bathing a baby daily is unecessary and a PITA?

(116 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Tue 28-Jul-09 21:13:09

Message withdrawn

Bleatblurt Tue 28-Jul-09 21:15:03

YANBU, and it can't be good for their skin to be washed so often when little.

I loved washing mine in the kitchen sink too. grin So cute.

booyhoo Tue 28-Jul-09 21:15:33

yanbu

a daily bath is unecessary. too much bathing in harsh chemical does no good. and the kitchen sink did me no harm.

MrsHappy Tue 28-Jul-09 21:15:36

No, but I always liked doing it and DD loved being in the bath. Even if she had been miserable all day she would calm right down in the water.
I find it a reliably nice part of the day, not a faff.

I'd probably find it a PITA if it gave me backache though...

Ceebee74 Tue 28-Jul-09 21:16:08

YANBU at all but I have always bathed mine pretty much daily - just so it was part of their bedtime routine. In the early days (and still occasionally now) bathtime would be the only time DS2 was actually happy grin

However, when they are weaning, a nightly bath is a must IMO - DS2 manages to get food in every conceivable place and only a good dunking in the bath seems to remove the stubborn stuff like Weetabix grin

AnarchyAunt Tue 28-Jul-09 21:16:28

YANBU and this is the second thread tonight I have agreed on this very issue!

It is a right royal PITA and very new really. As a child I was only bathed once a week unless truly filthy for some reason.

booyhoo Tue 28-Jul-09 21:16:42

a flannel dipped in warm water twicw a day is sufficient.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 28-Jul-09 21:17:01

I only ever bathed DS at most once a week when he was tiny. Now he's weaned and crawling he gets 2-3 a week as he's often crusted with food or muck that babywipes can't remove grin

GeorgeTheSlitheen Tue 28-Jul-09 21:17:32

I stopped bathing mine every day when they stopped pooing themselves and no longer smeared pureed broccoli in to their earholes.

No chemicals though.

booyhoo Tue 28-Jul-09 21:18:20

like mrs happy i do it daily only because it calms both ds' down and is a cue that bedtime is approaching.

FlappyTheBat Tue 28-Jul-09 21:19:12

I tell parents that babies don't need a bath everyday as it's not good for their skin, that once or twice a week is enough.

However, I'm very bad at following my own advice and have to admit of bathing my dd's every day when they were little, even now they get about 4-5 baths per week.

MsSparkle Tue 28-Jul-09 21:19:55

YANBU. I hate bathing my dc, it's so boring and feels like such a chore. Dp loves doing it though, purhaps because it's a novalty thing for himhmm

thaliablogs Tue 28-Jul-09 21:20:28

I completely agree re little babies, although once my older DD got to about 6 months we found a daily bath was a nice bedtime routine. But DS is currently nearly 4 weeks and has only had 4 baths so far, 2 in hospital.

YANBU

allaboutme Tue 28-Jul-09 21:20:33

i bath mine most nights
i enjoy it, they love it, it passes a nice hour before bed time and winds them down
plus they do get pretty grubby, always covered in mud, sand, chocolate, dinner, grass, suncream etc

pinkspottywellies Tue 28-Jul-09 21:21:32

DD is 2 and a half and we didn't bath her every day for ages, although DH used to do it as thier 'thing' (but he got bored!). Now that we have DS (22 weeks) I actually find it easier to get them ready for bed if I bath them. It's like a play pen for dd! I get everything ready, put her in, give DS a quick dunk and she's still happy playing while I get him out, dress him and feed him. Then he's settled enough to plonk down on the landing while I get her out and dress her ready for bed.

So no they don't need it for cleanliness but it's great for my routine.

Thunderduck Tue 28-Jul-09 21:22:37

They don't need a daily bath but I think there are few more pleasurable pastimes than bathing a baby.

MrsHappy Tue 28-Jul-09 21:22:38

Oh I didn't use chemicals either when DD was tiny (just warm water) and now she is 3 we use stuff with no SLS etc.  I think if she had had skin issues I would have bathed her less.

fruitful Tue 28-Jul-09 21:24:12

Dd and ds2 both used to get random baths in the middle of the day when bored, by way of entertainment. They play, I sit on the loo seat, drink hot tea and daydream grin.

Ds1 hated baths so he only got washed when quite dirty.

Ds2 is now 19mo and needs a bath most days.

fruitful Tue 28-Jul-09 21:26:53

Although I have to say that dh has done most of the baths here (or at least the baths taken for cleansing purposes).

Last week I washed ds1's hair and I think it might have been the first time that I have done it.

He is 4.5.

Years, not months.

Well, I do everything else for them ...

proverbial Tue 28-Jul-09 21:27:01

Couldn't disagree more with THunderduck (in the nicest possible way of course grin), when you have a baby that screams as if being tortured when shown a bath, there are few things less pleasurable than bathing a baby.

Which is why bathtime is Dada's time chez proverbial! wink

Thunderduck Tue 28-Jul-09 21:28:51

I think the novelty would wear off if you have a baby that hates the water. But I do love helping friends to bathe their babies. They are so cute when they've just been bathed.

CyradisTheSeer Tue 28-Jul-09 21:29:10

Message withdrawn

CyradisTheSeer Tue 28-Jul-09 21:32:30

Message withdrawn

CoteDAzur Tue 28-Jul-09 21:42:09

How and especially WHY do you bath your baby in the kitchen sink, and do you really think that is healthy? My kitchen sink certainly isn't ever so clean that I would put my baby in it, let alone bath him there.

As for frequency - DS (10 weeks) is bathed every evening because he vomits in astonishingly copious amounts several times per day, with vomit pooling in his neck and down his front, sometimes around his neck and down his back. Not to mention the poo that tends to go up his back on occasion.

CyradisTheSeer Tue 28-Jul-09 21:47:53

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now