Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not to buy my cousin a wedding present

(11 Posts)
scribblehead Tue 28-Jul-09 19:27:09

My DH and I are eye wateringly, nail bittingly broke at the mo. We aren't attending my cousin's wedding for other reasons, (unrelated to our brokeness). I am just in the process of sending a congrats card and am v. worried about not sending a gift. Someone told me it's normal not to buy a gift if you're not going to the wedding. Is this true or am I being mean?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 28-Jul-09 19:28:06

Is irrelevant.

If you can't afford a gift just send a nice card.

No stress.

MovingOutOfBlighty Tue 28-Jul-09 19:29:40

Could you unearth a photo/s of you as children? Are you close?
I was given a photo of me and my cousin in horrible bowl haircuts in a fairly cheapish frame for my wedding. It had me in stitches and meant alot.

It must have cost her at the most £10.

scribblehead Tue 28-Jul-09 19:30:46

Thanks fabbakergirl, that was my plan and then I could imagine it being the only card without a gift voucher or such like and panicked

PeedOffWithNits Tue 28-Jul-09 19:31:28

depends - how close are you to the cousin?

i sent vouchers to the cousin whose wedding i could not go to, voucher when they had their child a few months later, got no thanks for either, so when next DC came along i sent nothing!

can you send some sort of IOU.....owe them a meal or help with a DIY job on their home?

scribblehead Tue 28-Jul-09 19:33:08

movingoutofblighty - no, sadly we're not close. He's the youngest cousin, I'm the eldest, wrinkly cousin. Didn't see much of each other growing up. I'll keep your idea in mind for friends tho. I'm going to be broke for some time unless my premium bonds come good at last!

shinyshoes Tue 28-Jul-09 19:35:49

Send a card. If he is a decent enough person he'll understand . You don't even have to explain. The day will be such a whirl I doubt they'd even worry about you not getting them anything.

scribblehead Tue 28-Jul-09 19:35:58

peedoffwithnits - have said in card we must get together some time soon so I can be extra nice then.

MovingOutOfBlighty Tue 28-Jul-09 19:37:04

In which case, I wouldn't bother sending too much! Think a card is just fine.

KatyS36 Tue 28-Jul-09 19:37:23

Cards meant far more to me than gifts at my wedding

scribblehead Tue 28-Jul-09 19:38:54

Thanks all. This is a relief. I'm lucky that I'm new to being flat broke, (I came off maternity pay recently and am now a unpaid slave to my 2 darling children).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now