Talk

Advanced search

Im handing in notice tomorrow as my manager didn't back me up and I had a customer threaten me and then send her boyfriend in because I would not sell her ciggies

(18 Posts)
wineyesplease Mon 27-Jul-09 21:02:20

I work in the eve in a garage, the other r night refused to serve a women she had no id,was then verbally abused then the customer offered to sort me out after work bearing in mind she was 8 months pregnant, i still refused and banned her from shop ,only for her boyfriend to come back and start and ask for ciggies for her i again refused, my manager hid and then asked another member of staff to serve him and said they were not banned.
They came back next day acting like nothing happened i was fuming told my boss im handing notice in tommorrow, and leaving he wants to talk but I wont change my mind as I have two young kids to think of i have a good mind to tell them to shove it aibu.

leftangle Mon 27-Jul-09 21:04:58

YANBU. Boss needs to tell you what strategy he will be using to ensure you are never put in this position again.
Otherwise you are right to stay away.

wineyesplease Mon 27-Jul-09 21:11:16

Thankyou so much for advising me, I'm worried becuase I have two small children and have taken holiday so will owe them money if i dont go back.

bradsmissus Mon 27-Jul-09 21:12:19

YANBU. Totally unprofessional of him not to back you up. Totally cowardly of him not to come and deal with them himself when she became verbally aggressive.

wineyesplease Mon 27-Jul-09 21:14:36

Thank you bradsmissus, its nice to have the support I feel so angry I have been in this postion three times now, I have my children to think of and no money is worth all of this however I will owe them money for holidays i have already taken.

differentID Mon 27-Jul-09 21:15:59

is it a big supermarket garage or is it more independant?

screamingskull Mon 27-Jul-09 21:16:29

YANBU. Agree with leftangle. You should get him to explain in full what the terms are if this happens again. Can't believe he hid when they were in shop hassling you angry

Hope all goes well for you when you next spaek to him.

screamingskull Mon 27-Jul-09 21:18:27

spaek - speak. sorry

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 21:19:01

Don't go back.SEnd them a letter saying you consider their actions to amount to constructive dismissal.

wineyesplease Mon 27-Jul-09 21:22:04

its a very big well known supermarket, thank you everyone for your advice .if I was to send a letter what would happen then do you think.

dilemma456 Mon 27-Jul-09 21:24:26

Message withdrawn

AnarchyAunt Mon 27-Jul-09 21:25:15

Are you a union member? I'd be getting some advice about your rights now. Maybe repost in employment section for some advice?

Boss completely out of order. Agree with katiestar that it could well be constructive dismissal.

differentID Mon 27-Jul-09 21:26:11

Could you contact your Human Rescources department? Don't you have a confidential helpline? I work for another big high street name and we have a phone number we can ring to speak to someone.
Have you thought of contacting these people?

Paolosgirl Mon 27-Jul-09 21:26:30

Have you made a formal written complaint to HR and your Union? You should be doing this before you even think of handing in your notice. What a spineless idiot your boss sounds.

wannaBe Mon 27-Jul-09 21:29:16

not sure if this amounts to constructive dismissal tbh, esp as it was only a one-off incident.

However, your manager was totally out of order and rather than quitting I would find out about their grievence procedure and would be looking to follow that through.

I can see why you are so livid and why this incident has led you to not want to go back, but you shouldn't have to feel that you are the one who has to leave - you have a right to work there safely, therefore it is the manager who should be the one held to account.

wineyesplease Mon 27-Jul-09 21:30:15

Im not in a union, what does constructive dismissal mean? sorry guys but I have never been in this situation before.

dilemma456 Mon 27-Jul-09 21:31:41

Message withdrawn

Paolosgirl Mon 27-Jul-09 21:38:30

Second wannaBe - I'm not sure a one-off incident could be construed as constructive dismissal.

Def. put in a formal complaint to HR (I'd suggest you arrange a meeting with them and then put your complaint in writing) - and would also suggest joining a union asap to protect yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now