Talk

Advanced search

To buy school tops in the wrong colour

(209 Posts)
katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 19:51:31

Our state primary school stipulates either the school sweatshirt which is bright red or bright red jumper / cardi with grey skirt/ pinafore.
I have bought my DDs dark grey cardigans to go back to school in for the following reasons.
1 They always get stained because the school doesn't have enough whiteboard markers so children have to use their hands , which inevitably ends up on their top.

2 Only buy uniform from M&S and their stocks were decimated , but had grey in every size.

3 Won't look too diffreent colour-wise from those wearing a pinafore.

3 Am really pissed off at the school who have agreed to be my placement school for a course I have been doing , but failed to return some paperwork in time for the deadline so I have wasted £200 and many hours for nothing.Not really relevant to the school tops but indicative of my feelings to the school.

5 MOST IMPORTANTLY looks lovely against their long pale blonde hair wink

Northernlurker Mon 27-Jul-09 19:57:18

You are undermining your school's rules - which is a Bad Thing to do imo and you are attempting to work off a grudge they won't know or care about using your children - that's just pathetic.

Take them back and buy the right thing, Your children may be very upset by having the wrong ones. It's not their problem you are feeling rebellious and too lazy to go elsewhere!

barnsleybelle Mon 27-Jul-09 19:57:23

I know ds's school is very strict re the uniform and would not accept a change in colour. The trousers/skirts have to be dark grey and if they go in pale grey mums get a snotty letter.
So, depending on your school you may have potentially wasted your money wink

lollyheart Mon 27-Jul-09 19:59:49

Yabu

Hulababy Mon 27-Jul-09 20:02:02

YABU IMO

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 27-Jul-09 20:03:32

YABU

Kids hate being different and it could easily lead to them being picked on.

If you dislike the school why are you sending your kids there?

danthe4th Mon 27-Jul-09 20:04:00

Poor kids being made to look different, and what a fantastic stroppy example to set. The whole point of uniform is to make children feel they belong, they are recognised on trips, they take pride in their school etc. It really annoys me when people don't buy the proper uniform its just a bad attitude which usually gets passed down to the children.

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 20:07:40

Well it is just unprofessional not to complete paperwork on time which would make a student who is helping the school not complete the course.I don't think it is a petty thing to have a grudge about and i think they darned well should care about it !!

The main reason though is the staining thing.Why have tops in a colour that stains so easily ?Why not give the children board rubbers, or use washable paints ?

I think the prospectus actually says children are 'expected ' to wear uniform.I think in our LEA primary schools are not allowed to make primary uniform compulsory , because that would mean they had to make a uniform grant available to hard-up families.

Oh yes and another good point , maybe they won't 'disappear' if they are the only ones in the school wearing grey.

KnickKnack Mon 27-Jul-09 20:08:52

UABveryU

Its shows your children that its OK to disobey school rules.

You are nitpicking over the colour of the jumper because you had a disagreement with them on another unrelated matter (at least that how it looks)

They are called "uniform" for a reason hmm

CloudDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 20:09:10

yabu and I hate uniforms! can't make your DCs not conform because you don;t want them to, that surely is their terrain!

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 20:09:33

No girls liked the tops.Eldest one likes to 'bend' the uniform to be individual and youngest, at 4 , won't care.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 27-Jul-09 20:10:58

If you feel uniform isn't compulsory just send them in their normal clothes. hmm

Why not be mature and talk to the school about the problems and issues you have with the paperwork?

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 20:12:35

I think I pointed out in my opening post that their stupid incompetence wasn't a reason .
Main reasons are
1 Look prettier and maybe won't look stained after a week !

LuluMaman Mon 27-Jul-09 20:13:28

YABU for the reasons stated

however, i can totally understand why you are so angry re the paperwork cock up, but you need to take that up appropriately with the right people

Thunderduck Mon 27-Jul-09 20:13:33

YABU.

thisisyesterday Mon 27-Jul-09 20:13:34

i think you're being very unreasonable.
you're basically saying to your kids that it's ok to do whatever you want if you don';t like something. good example to set.

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 20:14:29

Can't talk to the school because its summer hols.

Jackstini Mon 27-Jul-09 20:14:31

Sort your paperwork out issue separately - I agree this is not acceptable.
Re the uniform - yabu - don't show your kids it is ok to break rules from day 1.
If you know the school and have been there, do many kids honestly wear the wrong stuff?

LuluMaman Mon 27-Jul-09 20:14:51

if your main reason is that it looks prettier,you a b VVVVVVVVVVVVV U

you should write in and protest that the unifrom should be a different colour as it stains too easily

but this silly bending of the rules that your chidlren have to bear is not a good idea nor a a good example to set

KirstyJC Mon 27-Jul-09 20:15:23

I think it's a bit u but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it tbh. My DS's primary school says green jumper but some kids have grey or black as well. Like yours, our school and LEA doesn't specify a uniform, just suggests what the school/PTA would prefer.

Most kids do conform, but those who don't look fine and I don't think they stand out at all. Also, little kids (ie the 4 yo) don't notice these things so I doubt would be put out by, or be teased because of, different tops.

I do think it sounds like you are making a point for them not doing your paperwork though - and whilst I agree that is really out of order, it seems a bit childish for you respond like this.

katiestar Mon 27-Jul-09 20:15:33

Ah now see I think it IS a good example to set.If something is wrong you SHOULD do something about it.Not be a sheep

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 27-Jul-09 20:16:22

Kids don't need to look pretty at school. hmm

LuluMaman Mon 27-Jul-09 20:18:00

yes, do something about it but through the correct channels..

LuluMaman Mon 27-Jul-09 20:18:25

what do you thikn is wrong taht oyu need to protest against?

ThingOne Mon 27-Jul-09 20:18:47

If they get stained then surely everyone else's will be?

YABU. There are loads of places you can get uniform from, and you can always order from M&S and wait until it arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now