Talk

Advanced search

to think BIL can walk!!!!!

(18 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Mon 27-Jul-09 13:08:57

My SIL has had to go away for a family funeral, but BIL had to stay behind. He phoned DH earlier and asked for a lift to work, he lives 10 mins walk from his work..DH agreed and when I said he could walk it, DH said 'its raining' it was spitting and now the rain has gone anyway...
AIBU??

famishedass Mon 27-Jul-09 13:12:18

YANBU - thats what raincoats were invented for.

FranSanDisco Mon 27-Jul-09 13:13:53

Lazy arse. Has he ever heard of Um-ber-ellas? They are a new invention that keep the rain off yer heads hmm.

mayorquimby Mon 27-Jul-09 13:14:18

yabu. he asked your dh for a lift and he agreed to give him one and seems happy to do him a favour.
why are you even involving yourself?
as far as i can tell it amounts to person a asks person b for a favour
person b happily agrees to do favour
poerson c tries to stop person b doing the favour. but why?

SparklyGothKat Mon 27-Jul-09 13:17:06

coz we have no petrol and very little money till wednesday, dh has had to go and put £10 in to do this...

mayorquimby Mon 27-Jul-09 13:17:56

then why did he agree?

celticbohys Mon 27-Jul-09 13:18:45

yabu.

If your husband is happy to do the favour why would it bother you?

SparklyGothKat Mon 27-Jul-09 13:19:44

god knows, Dh likes to help people, but sometimes he doesn't see the whole picture lol.. I need milk but will have to walk there to save money and petrol, not a big deal, but take longer than it would take BIL to walk to work..

celticbohys Mon 27-Jul-09 13:20:19

Ahh well if this is the case re:petrol you are being annoyed at the wrong person.

your husband should have said no.

SparklyGothKat Mon 27-Jul-09 13:22:40

I said to DH that he shouldn't have agreed, he knew the petrol light was on, and we don't have much money atm (does anyone?)

mayorquimby Mon 27-Jul-09 13:26:49

cristiano ronaldo has a few quid to spare if you ask him nicely apart from that no-one has any cash really at the moment, i know the feeling and it's a nightmare.
but as celtic said, it's your husband who's in the wrong here, your BIL just asked for a favour and when asking for something as seemingly small as a lift to work i doubt anyone would really think it could have further reaching financial consequences, when unfortunately it does in your case.

SparklyGothKat Mon 27-Jul-09 13:30:07

ok so DH was being unreasonable lol... I will have to have another word about doing favours when we have to spend money we don't really have atm. I have avoided putting petrol in the car and walking places

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 27-Jul-09 14:51:12

yup. your husband wasn't thinking grin blame him. People are perfectly free to ask for favours, it's up to the, erm, askee grin to say yes or no.

FranSanDisco Mon 27-Jul-09 14:56:53

But some people can't say no and the askee, who is aware of this fault wink, takes advantage. One should consider one's requests as reasonable before one requests otherwise one may find oneself labelled a 'liberty taker'. Ooh I need a cup of tea after that shite grin

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 27-Jul-09 14:59:12

no, askee is the person being asked. asker is the one doing the asking. grin

you should probably know that I just randomly make up words and their meanings grin

FranSanDisco Mon 27-Jul-09 15:01:00

Please don't make me re-type grin

Toffeepopple Mon 27-Jul-09 15:02:09

Was the lift for work request something more? Is BIL sad about this family death or his wife being away?

Because we all know blokes couldn't possibly ring and say "I'm a bit down, I could do with a friendly face" but might manage to ring and say "could you give me a lift".

Otherwise, I think any able-bodied person should be able to walk ten minutes!

HecatesTwopenceworth Mon 27-Jul-09 15:04:12

No, I think in the interests of clarity you are going to have to.

grin

Toffee has a good point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now