Talk

Advanced search

To not send ds to chimldminders this week ?????? (SF related)

(15 Posts)
mosschops30 Sun 26-Jul-09 13:01:02

Because she thinks I am being totally unreasonable although acknowledges it my decision.

One of her other mindees had suspected swine flu last week, ds has not been in contact with this child for 2 weeks now so I presume hes ok.
However when I spoke to CM last wednesday this mindee was apparently at deaths door, unrousable, very poorly.
Now she seems to have made a miraculous recovery, CM says parents say she has been symptom free for 5 days hmm and are sending her tomorrow.
So I have made other arrangements for ds as although I cannot control everything I can at least try and minimise the risk.

AIBU??

cookielove Sun 26-Jul-09 13:06:19

i think what they are generally saying is that you can catch swine flu from any where, and that you shouldn't have to change your routine to much to avoid it, unless your child is compromised e.g has chest infections, a weakened immune system.

However it is up to you how you want to deal with it, and if your happier to pull him out then you should. So on that point, you are not being unreasonable. However you will still have to pay her.

biggirlsdontcry Sun 26-Jul-09 13:08:41

no YRNBU , as far as i know any1 who has had SF can still be contagious for 7-10 after their symptoms stop , i would keep your ds away just to be on the safe side or get advice from your gp ,

mosschops30 Sun 26-Jul-09 13:09:12

Oh yes the payment is not an issue, I know its my decision. I just think CM is a bit miffed and said she was upset that I wasnt sending ds.
I am pg so am trying to minimise the risk wherever possible, and sending ds to play with a child who was apparently last tuesday 'unrousable' would be irresponsible

biggirlsdontcry Sun 26-Jul-09 13:15:19

sorry i meant 7-10 days , if you have an alternative cm then why risk it , especially if you are pg .

cat64 Sun 26-Jul-09 13:19:54

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Sun 26-Jul-09 13:22:19

I dont normally, I think my IL's are taking pity on me this week, theyre usually busy golfing grin

DaisymooSteiner Sun 26-Jul-09 13:39:04

According to the NHS website, people are infectious for up to 7 days from the start of getting symptoms and once they are symptom free they are no longer infectious. Obviously, it's completely up to you how cautious you want to be and your childminder should respect that.

nannynick Sun 26-Jul-09 14:01:24

YANBU it is entirely up to you if you want to send your DS to the CM. You are aware that as it is your decision, you will still be paying for the childcare place... surely the CM therefore should not be fussed about it.
Childcarers have been issued with guidance from DSCF and local authorities with regard to SF, so childcarers are following that and remaining open unless told by HPA or local health authority that they have to close.

cornsillk Sun 26-Jul-09 14:23:31

Will you still be paying CM? If so I can't see why she's upset. It'll put your mind at rest if nothing else.

Boys2mam Sun 26-Jul-09 18:09:00

I can understand your reluctance to knowingly expose your child to the other mindee but the SF is going to be around for a while yet so long term it seems likely they will come in to contact unknowingly too.

My nephew was diagnosed on Fri, Tamiflu commenced and he's flying round like a loon today, miraculous recovery!! He's been told quarantine for 5 days....do my DB is having to stay off and play nursemaid. I'm not convinced it was SF with how quickly he's - the diagnoses are coming thick and fast now, aren't they.

Boys2mam Sun 26-Jul-09 18:09:51

he's recovered - sorry blush

Phoenix4725 Sun 26-Jul-09 20:26:33

here we beentold if any dc come down with it siblings will be expected to be in school, can see hhat going down well september

fishie Sun 26-Jul-09 20:31:21

yes ill last weds and totally recovered now is about right. so, alas, yabu. of course you are paying cm, you have withdrawn your child, not she her service.

Hulababy Sun 26-Jul-09 20:39:35

I think it is perfectly possible that the girl could be fully recovered by now.

I have never heard this 7-10 days being infectious after symptoms have gone??? Where does this come from??

AFAIK the advice is that most people are fine to go about their normal routine about 5 days after symptoms start. That is what the period of isolation seems to be when taking Tamiflu too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now