Talk

Advanced search

to expect an expensive ear thermometer to work????

(23 Posts)
Joycey29 Fri 24-Jul-09 20:07:15

My daughter is ill and her nursery registered a raised temp of 38 as did my old thermometer. My new expensive ear one rated it as 35.5 but her usual temp with it is 32. Do I believe it or not? Does it mean her temp is up? Really confused after forking out 25 quid! angry

Sidge Fri 24-Jul-09 20:13:14

If her usual temp is 32 then either your thermometer is duff or she is hypothermic! A normal body temp is 36-37 degrees.

The first ear thermometer I bought was duff so I bought this one and it's good.

pooka Fri 24-Jul-09 20:13:19

Usual temp is 32? That's really low. Is it an ear one? Think the range can be from about 35 to 37.5 on a digital ear thermometer. Is helpful to get a base reading when children are well, because each child can have a different "normal" temp. MIne both 36.4 (in ear).

pooka Fri 24-Jul-09 20:15:27

I have same as sidge. Don't think have ever had a temp below about 35.5 on that one. Have had temp of 40 plus (poor dd) though.

As I said, usual temp of 32 really really unlikely to be accurately read by the thermometer.

pooka Fri 24-Jul-09 20:17:10

But re reading your post, if she normally shows as 32 on the new thermometer and is now presenting with temp of 35.5, then she obviously has a fever. Bloody annoying now knowing exactly what her temp is though..... angry

Joycey29 Fri 24-Jul-09 20:17:50

Thought it was a bit strange - it's the calpol one from boots -might take it back but have lost receipt sad Might have to reinvest!

oldraver Fri 24-Jul-09 21:08:25

I have the Calpol ones and get 'odd' readings so just dont trust it anymore

Badgerqueen Fri 24-Jul-09 21:19:23

We have the calpol one and it only works properly if you use the hygenic cover things on the sensor tip, without them it gives bananas readings. That said i am never very convinced by the readings it gives.

LolaLadybird Fri 24-Jul-09 21:38:17

I bought one from John Lewis a while back (can't remember how much but not cheap). It gives plausible readings but never the same one twice. Every time someone's ill and I need to rely on it, I get frustrated and vow to buy another one and then promptly forget until the next time ...

Joycey29 Sat 25-Jul-09 18:44:10

Thanks guys - took it back to Boots and even without receipt gave me a full refund as they had none in stock. Just bought another one - the Braun one mentioned earlier and it seems to work much better. You're all stars for the advice!!

katiestar Sat 25-Jul-09 19:18:54

I have an Omeron one .It always measures 35.5 for some reason.We have changed the thing that looks like a tiny female condom, changed the batteries , googled for the instructions to make sure we are doing it right and still 35.5 (even when clearly wrong !)

thederkinsdame Sat 25-Jul-09 21:07:36

We have the Braun thermoscan one and it is good. You have to always take the temp from the same ear so DS alweays has his done in right ear. You also have to shove it right in, not just rest it in the outer ear, otherwise you get a bonkers reading. (sorry if I am telling you what you already know!)

trickerg Sun 26-Jul-09 00:52:59

I remember my health visitor taking my temp with an ear thermometer after I'd had my baby -it read 35 deg, and we both concluded that I should probably be dead (or at least in intensive care!)

katiestar Sun 26-Jul-09 11:45:32

I noticed that in hospital they use one that they wave across the patients forehead and behind their neck.

qwertpoiuy Sun 26-Jul-09 15:36:43

I have owned 2 ear thermometers, and their readings were so inaccurate I vowed never again to buy one. Anyway, they're quite unhygienic.

Digital thermometers are far less expensive, OK it takes about 2 minutes to obtain a reading and it can be frustrating trying to hold it under a toddler's underarm for that length of time - but at least you get a proper reading.

My own GP prefers digital thermometers too.

qwertpoiuy Sun 26-Jul-09 15:37:13

Anyway, OP, how is your DD today?

sherby Sun 26-Jul-09 15:41:27

we have one too which NEVER reads about 34 hmm

i didn't know you had to use those cover things with them though

i prefer the digital one stuck under an armpit tbh

sherby Sun 26-Jul-09 15:41:43

above 34

Bleatblurt Sun 26-Jul-09 17:56:45

Chuck out all thermometers and rely on the old hand to the forehead to work out if they have a temperature. wink

I've never owned a thermometer (except for a ttc one) and never needed it.

chegirl Sun 26-Jul-09 18:03:39

They are total rubbish. When DD was diagnosed with Luekemia we rushed out and bought about 7. It was very important we knew her temp as anyting over a certain degree was very dangerous and she had to go to hospital.

Those fucking things caused us no end of stress and upset. Because we couldnt rely on a hand on the forehead (my preferred method) we ended up using tempadots which we stole shamlessly got from the hosptial.

Forehead strips are quick and easy to use and hard to break. They even show you Not fever/nearly fever/DAMN YOUR HOT! . Simple grin

chegirl Sun 26-Jul-09 18:04:19

Meant to say - hope your DD gets well soon.

thehouseofmirth Sun 26-Jul-09 18:15:56

Those wipe across the forehead ones (google temporal artery thermometer) are great but apart from US sellers on ebay I can't find anywhere to buy one!

pooka Sun 26-Jul-09 18:54:18

The ear ones are only unhygienic if you don;'t change the hood between people.

MIne is brill - braun one. Used to have a digital underarm one - by my what a faff getting a quick accurate temp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now