Talk

Advanced search

To send back the mobile phone DS dropped saying it arrived with the screen cracked?

(71 Posts)
Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 19:54:12

I know IABU, but I can't bear it. It cost £60 and I agonised before deciding to let him have it and only then because he has diabetes and therefore needs a phone more than most.

He didn't break it btw. His brother did.

CybilLiberty Thu 23-Jul-09 19:55:31

Ohh that may be hard to prove as they come so tightly packed in their boxes now.

allaboutme Thu 23-Jul-09 19:55:32

did it arrive today?
yeah i'd send it back and GET INSURANCE next time!!

barnsleybelle Thu 23-Jul-09 19:56:55

yes, it's wrong. Would i send it back, yes, i would.

TheProfiteroleThief Thu 23-Jul-09 19:57:42

karma SM - think of the summer you will get!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 23-Jul-09 19:58:16

I doubt they would believe you tbh.

Things are well packaged these days.

dilemma456 Thu 23-Jul-09 19:59:27

Message withdrawn

cthea Thu 23-Jul-09 19:59:47

How did it happen? I've dropped mine many times and it's still intact. If it's that fragile I'd say it's not "fit for purpose" or some such.

CyradisTheSeer Thu 23-Jul-09 20:02:46

Message withdrawn

notanumber Thu 23-Jul-09 20:04:10

No. Send it back.

Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 20:07:43

I don't know exactly what happened but I discovered it on the wooden floor under the chair where ds was sitting. I was in the room at the time but didn't hear anything.

So what shall I do? Say 'yes we dropped it but it's not fit for the purpose'? or say, 'Er ... dunno. It came like that?'

Profiterole, you are the voice of my concience and I will squash you forthwith. grin

roneef Thu 23-Jul-09 20:07:57

Maybe claim on your house insurance?

I wouldn't lie. The guilt isn't worth it!!

monkeyfacegrace Thu 23-Jul-09 20:08:10

How did you buy it? Was it Ebay? If so defo send it back, you can claim via paypal anyway! *but Im a bit of a bugger for that sort of thing wink*

Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 20:08:20

Cyradis it arrived today. It has only been out of the box for a total of two minutes. I can't bear it.

Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 20:08:57

Monkey I bought it from the phone company.

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 23-Jul-09 20:10:38

It's wrong, don't do it.
UNLESS you are very broke and he needs the phone for health reasons and you really can't afford to buy another.

Spidermama Thu 23-Jul-09 20:11:42

I am Kathy and he does. I would never contemplate it otherwise.

I am struggling with the potential crippling guilt aspect though.

procrastinatingparent Thu 23-Jul-09 20:12:13

YABU. Sorry.

CarGirl Thu 23-Jul-09 20:13:02

try asking on freecycle for any working mobile phone with charger, make him use some ancient thing instead.

Tamarto Thu 23-Jul-09 20:13:55

I'd be less likely to lie strech the truth if it was bought from ebay.

dilemma456 Thu 23-Jul-09 20:15:06

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Thu 23-Jul-09 20:16:38

i wouldn't. dsis did the same with hers on holiday. claimed on insurance and had new one waiting for her when she got home. those fancy new ones just crack immediately if you drop them on tiles etc. you need an old flip open one. indestructible...

that said, dsis also sawed the arm off of her sofa to get it through the door of her new house, then couldn't be bothered to fix it, so left it in the garden until it became waterlogged and claimed it was 'flood damage' on the insurance... clearly not a reliable example...

i despair, really.

expatinscotland Thu 23-Jul-09 20:16:57

YABU.

Can't believe how cheeky people are these days.

To me, that's thieving. Phone was fine, he jacked it up, so lie and get another one and they get stuck with a jacked up phone?

That's ripping someone off.

Even if you're stony skint.

If you're seriously skint you don't have 60 quid to blow on a phone, anyhow.

SparklyGothKat Thu 23-Jul-09 20:17:23

I have a nokia, basic phone, you can have it.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 23-Jul-09 20:18:36

If its from the phone company, they wont believe you. The phone would have been totally protected in the box. However, they wont argue it with you, its not worth thier grief or losing the custom. So give it a go, whats the worse that can happen (sorry if I sound really really awful, but I understand whats its like to be pennyless and £60 to a phone company is a drop in the ocean)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now