Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at how fecking expensive holidays in August are????

(27 Posts)
tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 18:50:57

DH and I never go on holiday in August, as we don't have DC's so no school holidays to consider. We normally go in Sept or Oct when it is much cheaper.
Due to DH's work deadlines, August is the only time we can go. Trying to find something for 10 nights - 14 nights and am gob smacked at the prices - just found a few online in Croatia (which up until a few years ago was dirt cheap) - for £900 pp for only a 3 star!!
B&B's in Italy for £600 a week, and flights at an average of £400 - 600 for both of us to Europe!!!
Is it unreasonable to expect to find a beach holiday somewhere decent for under approx £1500, or am I being silly??

BadgersArse Thu 23-Jul-09 18:52:06

its shti sint it

tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 18:57:20

Maybe I should be counting myself lucky that we can go on holiday at all, but having said that, we won't be going anywhere at this rate!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 23-Jul-09 18:57:37

Welcome to our world this is why the camping area is so well populated.

tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 18:59:20

Pah! I just don't understand how the average family can even contemplate going on an overseas holiday, I really don't.

SomeGuy Thu 23-Jul-09 19:00:30

Try Turkey. Have a look on Skyscanner, numerous flights to Dalaman for around £200 return, Turkey is dirt cheap and you'll have plenty left over for the hotel.

tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 19:05:01

Thanks SomeGuy - do you know of any nice hotels there? We aren't after anything too high rise or a massive complex...

PaulaAtMummyKnowsBest Thu 23-Jul-09 19:07:21

that's why I'm not going away this year

For me, DH and the 3 children to go somewhere half decent we were going to have to pay about £3000 for a week!!!!!

Shocking

ChasingSquirrels Thu 23-Jul-09 19:08:49

I've just booked 10 nights mid/end-Aug in a 3-bed house in Spain, plus flights for £1,500 for 5 people
So yes, it is doable.

SomeGuy Thu 23-Jul-09 19:10:31

you could try here: www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298031-Fethiye_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast-Hotels.html for research.

tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 19:17:09

No way ChasingSquirrels, that's amazing - when did you book it?
We would prefer to do self catering in Europe somewhere, but all of the nicer places with pools were in locations you needed a car to get to, and we don't drive.
Which company did you book it with?

ChasingSquirrels Thu 23-Jul-09 21:21:13

Just booked this afternoon (well hopefully, flights booked, not actually had accommodation confirmed).
Flights with Ryanair - crap but is only short flight. Just under £1k for 5 of us.
Accomodation found on Holiday Rentals, but Owners Direct is good aswell.
Accom is 3-bed townhouse, 200 mts from beach, large commmunity pool, walking distance to bars and restaurants.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to go, hence only just having booked, but really looking forward to it now.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 23-Jul-09 21:54:50

basically holiday compnays and hotels etc have us by our short and curlies

we have booked to go away 1st week of sept to tunisa and have saves £600 by going then and not in aug

MrsMattie Thu 23-Jul-09 22:00:15

Daylight robbery.

We went away in June (son doesn't start school until Sept) and it cost £1000 for a family of four self catering for a week in a really nice part of the Med. The exact same holiday in August costs £3,500. WTF?

Ponders Thu 23-Jul-09 22:04:29

Late August is way cheaper than mid - because most (state) schools go back 1st-3rd Sept, the week of 29/8 - 5/9 is much less than peak price even though it has the Bank Hol in it. So go then if you can!

tigerbear Thu 23-Jul-09 23:43:00

We can only go from the 3rd or 4th August due to DH's work deadlines. I was just about to book flights to Dubrovnik for about £380 for both of us, went away for 1/2 hour to look at hotels, then when I went back on the site, flights have gone up to over £700!!
The search continues...

Ponders Thu 23-Jul-09 23:55:05

nooooo! bastards! hate it when that happens angry

good luck, tigerbear - hope you find something reasonable smile

tigerbear Fri 24-Jul-09 00:26:51

Thanks Ponders. Am really desperate now, starting to do random searches online such as Arctic cruises, and places I would never normally consider.
Sorry to sound snobby, but all of the cheap deals that pop up on lastminute.com and similar sites are all to Bodrum, Benidorm, etc, and really don't want to go anywhere like that.

Ponders Fri 24-Jul-09 00:35:15

which airport/s can you fly from?

Phoenix4725 Fri 24-Jul-09 08:35:46

yep why so may of us with dc either take them put of school to holiday or do without one.Evn theme parks in uk up their prices for entrance in August

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 24-Jul-09 08:36:39

it is sometimes cheaper to go long haul and go to carribean then it is to go to somewhere 4hrsby plane

willali Fri 24-Jul-09 08:56:26

villas work out a lot cheaper IME and if you beleive what you read in the papers there are loads of villas going cut price due to less people going abroad this year. We have used James Villas a lot and are fab

PuppyMonkey Fri 24-Jul-09 08:58:19

Just for a laugh, go onto the Center Parcs website and check out the prices for August. shock grin

SparklyGothKat Fri 24-Jul-09 09:02:13

me and my sister have booked a MNetter's cottage for a week in august in Great Yarmouth, it worked out £160 each family so we are very happy. But if we hadn't done that then we wouldn't have had a holiday this year

happywomble Fri 24-Jul-09 09:07:37

you could do a house swap somewhere really exotic if you are brave enough or go to an adult only hotel which may not have higher prices in August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now