Talk

Advanced search

Help! Urgent work related AIBU

(12 Posts)
CoffeeAndCarrotCake Thu 23-Jul-09 11:27:41

I'm about to go for an appraisal with my boss and I just know he's going to say that I won't be able to progress if I continue working a 4 day week, and that I should change to a 5 day week. sad I really really love my day with DD, and hate the thought of only seeing her at weekends (she's generally in bed by the time I get home). My job is important to me, but honestly, it simply doesn't compare to how important DD is to me.

AIBU to tell my boss that I DO want to progress, albeit 20% slower than a full time worker, but that I want to keep my day with DD.

Aarrgghhh - am feeling sick at the very thought of this horrible meeting!!!! sad sad sad

TracyK Thu 23-Jul-09 11:31:32

I would have thought they wouldn't be allowed to say that! Discrimination. I'd take loads of notes in case you need them for later.

You only have 1 DD - plenty of jobs though!

FimbleHobbs Thu 23-Jul-09 11:32:11

Of course you can progress in something that you do 4 days a week rather than 5.

As you say, maybe at a slightly slower rate, but not much.

Unless of course there is some particular training that you are missing because it happens every week on your day off. In which case you could just swap days I'd have thought.

I would ask for specific reasons for his statement (if he does actually make it) and then give specific counter arguments to each one.

Good luck, deep breaths.

cornsillk Thu 23-Jul-09 11:33:12

He can't say that. Talk about your work/life balance - stress how good it is at the moment.

muddleduck Thu 23-Jul-09 11:42:18

Overwhelm him with positivity about how pleased you are at how well things are working out and how glad you are to have his support grin

CoffeeAndCarrotCake Thu 23-Jul-09 11:42:18

Thank you! The trouble is, even if employers are "not allowed" to say or do things, in practice, they often do, and short of suing them shockand being out of a job, there's not much you can do.

No, there's no specific thing or training that happens on my day off, and if there ever is something I'm needed for, I just come in anyway. They just don't like the idea of part time workers. sad

Longtalljosie Thu 23-Jul-09 11:48:58

Turn it back on him, if he says you can't progress on a 4-day week say "can you explain why"? and start taking notes of his responses.

He's on dodgy ground. He won't like the notes.

If he brings up genuine problems think about how you can get round them. If he doesn't, then he'll show up the weaknesses in his own argument.

choppychopster Thu 23-Jul-09 11:59:05

If you are fulfilling all the reqirements of your job role in your 4 days, I don't see what the problem is? Also, I presume that your company is saving 20% on what they would have to pay you if you were in 5 days a week.

junglist1 Thu 23-Jul-09 12:01:18

I agree with LongTallJosie. Am quite angry for you actually

scaryteacher Thu 23-Jul-09 12:04:17

I did a 3 day week until ds started reception, and then did the same hours over 5 days to fit with school, so did 5 5 hour days instead of 3 7.4 days, and made some flexi as well.

Tell your boss you'll review the situation when dd starts school perhaps. He then has a set time for this situation.

CoffeeAndCarrotCake Thu 23-Jul-09 12:14:25

Really good ideas - thanks so much. I'll certainly take notes. I agree that he's on dodgy ground (if, of course, he does tell me this - I am perhaps jumping the gun a little blush) but I think I am too, as I don't want to upset the apple cart and end up branded a trouble maker or booted out. I'm sure it happens all the time. I feel like I have to apologise for having a DD and for actually wanting to see her!

And you're right choppy, they're saving 20%, so I'm a bargain! grin

rookiemater Thu 23-Jul-09 20:35:17

How did you get on ?

I work 4 days a week too, and I have just had to be honest with my boss and explain that whilst I enjoy my job and want to perform well at it the most important thing is to balance my work and home life. Working part time allows me to do that and if that means that I won't go any higher up the ladder then that is how it has to be.

Hope it went well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now