Talk

Advanced search

I really do know I AM but feck feck fecking bloody feck

(34 Posts)
chegirl Wed 22-Jul-09 21:34:54

This is a stupid post but I am on my laptop and I have just seen this advert and this stuff is just coming out of my fingers. I know I ABU but bloody hell.

That new cancer research advert has just been on and i bloody bloody hate the fucking thing. I want them to get lots of money and its a good advert really but I wish I knew when it was on so I didnt have to bloody see it. It catches me by suprise and it does feel like a punch in the stomach.

I know that charities have to raise money and this is better than the chuggers thing we have just been discussing but the good adverts can sometimes be the worst IYSWIM.

No one need reply, honest. If I wasnt online I would have probably just sobbed, I wouldnt have logged on just to write this bunch of rambling nonsense blush

wrinklytum Wed 22-Jul-09 21:37:16

{{{hug}}}}

squilly Wed 22-Jul-09 21:37:26

You are not at all,not even vaguely being unreasonable. I'm so sorry for your loss. Your daughter was a really beautiful girl.

harpsichordcarrier Wed 22-Jul-09 21:38:04

yeah and a <hug> from me, too
HC xx

Thunderduck Wed 22-Jul-09 21:38:39

YANBU. Of course the adverts are necessary but you aren't being at all unreasonable to feel this way.
I'm sorry that it's upset you so much but it's perfectly understandable and anyone in your position would feel the same way.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 22-Jul-09 21:39:39

I hate them too. Every time I see any of them, I get resentful and belligerent and think 'why the fuck should I send you any money - you couldn't save my mum'.

So I know where you're coming from.

Arcadie Wed 22-Jul-09 21:40:03

Hey chegirl not at all BU. Not rambling. Have hugs.

SecretNinjaChipmunk Wed 22-Jul-09 21:40:25

oh chegirl, you are so not being unreasonable. its a very hard advert to watch. it makes me want to cry. i'm very sorry for your loss.

TheCrackFox Wed 22-Jul-09 21:41:22

YANBU. One of my friends lost her mum to cancer when she was 13 (some 30 odd years ago). She cancelled her DD because of this advert. The advert upsets her so much and like you has said "it is like a punch to the guts" every time she sees it.

chegirl Wed 22-Jul-09 21:42:12

Awww all these hugs, this cant be MN surely smile

Thank you. Yes she was the most beautiful girl.

I fully support CR and this advert is so much better than their last one. That one annoyed me this one breaks my heart.

The other one was so bloody mawkish and it also showed a very healthy looking girl with all her shiney hair pushing a drip stand up a deserted hospital corridor and some poor, very ill looking women being helped up some outside stairs in her nightdress hmm.

Its so difficult. I want them to show what its really like but its so horrible when the do.

So therefore I MUST be unreasonable. But you are al so kind to say otherwise.

Thunderduck Wed 22-Jul-09 21:44:13

You are most definitely not being unreasonable. I mean that, we all do. Besides we get the final say as we outnumber you, so no YANBU and that's that.

chegirl Wed 22-Jul-09 21:49:09

Because I am sorry about your mum sad. Yes I have been known to shout that at the tv too. I have also screamed 'oh good for fucking you!' when the surviviours type ads are on (how bloody awful is that? My lovely sis is a survivour).

Crack your poor friend. I have a young email buddy who lost her mum last year when she was 14. She got in touch through DD's memory website. She is a wonderful girl. Poor darling. My hotmail account has gone haywire and its my only way of contacting her, I am so worried she will think I have forgotten her sad

Sorry rambling again.

Thanks again all

junglist1 Wed 22-Jul-09 22:03:02

Oh have a hug from me aswell hun I don't blame you,it must be heartbreaking for you.

GiraffesCanRunA10k Wed 22-Jul-09 22:04:00

Thinking of you x

chegirl Wed 22-Jul-09 22:15:22

I am lolling a bit at the covert huns and hugs.

Cheered me up no end.

Thank you.

MummyDoIt Wed 22-Jul-09 22:25:56

You really have my sympathy. I did the Race for Life the week before last for Cancer Research. They used to do a two minute silence before the race started but now they do a two minute 'celebration' where you're supposed to clap and cheer and celebrate all those people who have been cured. I found that really hard as I was running for DH and my dad who weren't among the lucky ones. So many of us running that day had lost loved ones. I found the whole thing a bit insensitive.

GentlyDoesIt Wed 22-Jul-09 22:42:54

Of course YANBU chegirl! I can empathise. A few years back I avoided ad breaks for about 4 months when there was a particular campaign running - it happened to use a case study with the same first name as the person I lost. Still leaves buses and billboards to deal with, but the TV feels more intrusive because the message barges into your living room and interrupts your evening.

GentlyDoesIt Wed 22-Jul-09 22:44:47

MummyDoIt I didn't realise they were doing that at Race For Life now. Seems a bit like forcing people's feelings, I can understand why it would feel uncomfortable. Perhaps you should let Race for Life people know, I'm sure you weren't the only one?

chegirl Wed 22-Jul-09 22:57:42

I used to do the race for life every year. I got a bit fed up with it. It used to feel like a real event and like the participants were really valued.

By the last time I did it I felt that the organisers just wanted to herd us in, get the thing over and get the cash.

Thank God I didnt do it this year. I think that two minute thing wouldve have finished me off. Jeez how bloody insensitive.

I know that feeling so well Gently. It feels like they are doing it on purpose!

GentlyDoesIt Wed 22-Jul-09 23:07:58

You will know that you are turning a corner when an ad starts up with sad piano, soft focus people looking out of windows and a kindly voiceover that says "Have you ever wondered what it's like to care for a parrot with mange?" and you laugh your head off, punch the air and say "Thank god for that, it's only the stupid Mangey Parrots Society tonight!"

(Apologies & sympathies to owners of mangey parrots everywhere )

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 22-Jul-09 23:10:51

I can't do the Race for Life, and I can't do the lighting of the Christmas tree lights at the hospice, because it's all - 5 years on - still too raw. The open, public 'celebration' of these events is too difficult.

And - and I do realise how selfish this sounds - it isn't going to make any difference to me.

So stone me.

cheesesarnie Wed 22-Jul-09 23:17:05

biwi it doesnt sound selfish at all!

the stroke one used to get me as it brought memorys.

chegirl-yanbu.i dont do hugs but foryou

cheesesarnie Wed 22-Jul-09 23:17:32

btw i dont usually fluffy cutey pictures either grin

chegirl Wed 22-Jul-09 23:26:47

Thank you cheese <feels a bit frightened of that scarey looking kitten>

grin

I think I might be asked to leave MN if people keep hugging me.

Because its not selfish. Its anger. You SHOULD be bloody angry because its not fair.

Anyone who knows about loss will understand and people who organise these things SHOULD know about loss.

Silver1 Wed 22-Jul-09 23:36:26

I am so glad you started this topic-because for so many the truth is that advert hurts. I don't know how else they can get the message across but they must know how raw it is for so many people, parents, friends partners children the list goes on..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now