Talk

Advanced search

To loathe Britain in Bloom and all the hideous hanging baskets everywhere?

(73 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Jul-09 11:51:50

I think they look vile and are a waste of money.

Everywhere seems to have the same look - I drove through Taunton and Barnstaple at the weekend, they both had hideous displays of hanging baskets and topiary thingies, all with the same flowers (bright pink and red busy lizzes, geraniums, lobelia). It makes everywhere look the same.

It's just such a waste of time. These things will be dead by the end of the summer. I know councils have a budget for gardens, but why can't they spend it on year round plants and trees, not the creation of these crappy hanging baskets. The cost of their erection (oo-err missus) and watering must be high as well.

Or am I a miserable old caaa?

Morloth Wed 22-Jul-09 11:54:53

I love them, it is so pretty and just so very English, the city is so loud and grey and the splashes of colour are very nice.

Seems like a nice way to spend money to me, presumably the "cost" involves someone having a job.

bruffin Wed 22-Jul-09 12:02:27

YABU

My Uncle use to regularly win prizes for the hanging baskets he did for a local petrol station. They were gorgeousgrin

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 12:03:19

we have a floral dragon in our town

Italians take pics of it

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 12:04:05

Id post a pic of Gilbert but i'd have to change names again

wink

MamaLazarou Wed 22-Jul-09 12:06:01

YABU

You miserable old caaa

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Jul-09 12:08:14

Floral dragon! Gilbert <splutter>

Well, at least that is interesting. In coastal devon we used to have crappy old boats filled with flowers.

I think my bitterness stems from the fact my gran entered Ilfracombe in Bloom every summer, and I had to help her plant her hanging baskets and tubs. I also had to water the bloody things with miracle gro every night.

I wish they would do things a bit differently though. The floral displays in Taunton, Barnstaple and Ilfracombe are exactly the same.

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 12:09:05

you google him, he is quite a local heartthrob

Dumbledoresgirl Wed 22-Jul-09 12:10:16

My town was the South West regional winner last year. Imagine what it looks like to be a winner!

Mind you, I am feeling benign towards them this year as they held a painting competition and my dd won in her category. <shameless boast> smile

MovingOutOfBlighty Wed 22-Jul-09 12:11:58

Are you crazy!!!

I love all those kind of things. What do you want, some succulent plants in a metal tub?

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Jul-09 12:12:09

Jesus! Who the bloody hell thought that up (Gilbert) PMSL.

Plus, intrigued that you are specific about Italians taking pics of it? Why Italians? And what do the Spaniards take pics of?

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Jul-09 12:15:12

My gran used to win Ilf in Bloom in her category as well. We lived in a victorian house and the whole front of it was bedecked in flowers.

She planted loads of flowers in various off things, such as old piss pots, wellington boots, gnomes with their heads chopped off etc.

It was nuts and I used to trip over the damn things ('mind the bloody flowers' I can still hear her cry!)

happywomble Wed 22-Jul-09 12:17:48

YABU - there should be more of them particularly in grim places like bus stations, station platforms.

The only ones i don't like are tacky fake flowers.

When I was young we used to go to Wales on hols and my mother always complained that there were no hanging baskets there!!

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Jul-09 12:20:47

General consensus is that I am a miserable old gimmer then grin

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 22-Jul-09 12:21:01

I know what you mean.
I don't like the colour palette much - always these very strong dark pinks against black and gold painted 'heritage' street lamps.

I would like some pastels for a change.

GetOrfMoiLand Wed 22-Jul-09 12:31:28

Yes Kathy! Someone (sort of) agrees.

There must be some other nice flowers than geraniums, busy bloody lizzies, begonias and lobelia.

Yes also to the olde worlde Victorian pastiche lamposts and bins. Everywhere looks the same.

Pikelit Wed 22-Jul-09 12:57:06

In my village we take particular pride in refusing to take part in any of these civic malarkeys. "Britain in Bloom", "Best Kept Village"? Shove it we say and git orf our land!

seaturtle Wed 22-Jul-09 13:01:02

Our city won so many times we were banned from taking part at one point. Or so they claim.... I don't mind the hanging baskets, but I do mind when drunk people leave the remains of destroyed hanging baskets all along our street.

Our shopping centre loos were also Toilet of the Year winners for ages. Which is a bit sadder than Britain in Bloom, I reckon.

Chevre Wed 22-Jul-09 13:04:12

they have to use hanging baskets to stop folk nicking the plants.

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 13:04:50

seatrutle
its a bit like Irelend and the Eurovision

"i loves you Ireland"

Chevre Wed 22-Jul-09 13:06:36

i love teh father ted eurovision episode

silverten Wed 22-Jul-09 13:09:30

Floral dragon? That's nothing - Doncaster had a floral three piece suite last year...

fannybanjo Wed 22-Jul-09 13:10:54

YABU

My mum spends a fews hours every week along with other volunteers clearing up other peoples litter, tidying overgrown spots of her local area all in the aid of Britain in
Bloom. Its not all about pretty hanging baskets.

If there were more people like her and less moaners in the world, the UK would be a nicer place to live. wink

SetSquare Wed 22-Jul-09 13:13:09

outside the national theatre they have a green sofa

Chevre Wed 22-Jul-09 13:13:52

thats nice. we have a clock with hands wot work and everything

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now