Talk

Advanced search

to want to adopt a rescue dog?

(38 Posts)
twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 10:49:40

DH says "no way" but I've seen an adorable 2 year old dog on the rspca website.

I'm an experienced dog owner, currently have an 8 year old springer, castrated male, who's really one of the family, but slowed down a lot in the last year.

Kids are 15 and 14.

We did have a second dog, a border collie, but he developed epilepsy when he was 1 and I decided to put him to sleep, and have felt full of guilt pretty much since.

DH is away for a day more, so I'm really tempted to ring the rspca to make a appointment to see the dog.

small point - he decided to get the collie when he was a pup and I really was against it and told him he should not discuss it with the children, which he did (this was when the kids were much younger)

shall I make the call?

flowerybeanbag Wed 22-Jul-09 10:51:21

I think you need to link to the dog on the website so we can coo over it...

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 10:52:29

no, someone might get in before me! she's a white staffie....with a smudge on her mouth...smile

verysadtoday Wed 22-Jul-09 11:00:20

make the call - you don't have to take her. What is the reason husband does not want her - is it a good reason?

themachinist Wed 22-Jul-09 11:03:49

make the call. I adopted a 6 yr old cross 3 yrs ago after having my 17 yr old collie pts. She is fantastic, no probs, an absolute star! Do it!

melmog Wed 22-Jul-09 11:06:26

Shouldn't this be a joint decision??

Don't ring them. If you change your mind because you and he fall out over it you'll be wasting their time.

And staffy's don't go that quickly so you've time to work on him.

melmog Wed 22-Jul-09 11:06:51

staffys

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jul-09 11:07:22

i get that he did this before so you would be doing tit for tat, but two wrongs don't make a right. i don't think you should bring an animal into the house if the other partner has explicitly said they don't want it.
so your dh was unreasonable for doing it before with the puppy, and yabu now if you do it with the rescue dog.

MrsChemist Wed 22-Jul-09 11:47:33

Probably best not to ring. I did this and ended up bringing a 7 week old kitten home the same day.
DH was furious... for about 2 minutes. He loves kittens so couldn't stay angry for long.
Now we have a cat that we both love, but it could have easily gone wrong and he could have made me take it back. That would have been embarrassing.
Speak to your DH when he gets back. He might have a good reason for not wanting another dog.

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 13:36:03

No, I'm definately not doing it "tit for tat", I'm not that sort of person, and I fully understand the implications of it being a joint decision. A dog is for life, much like children.

However.....I did ring, and they're not open today!

I'll try and do a link, so you can see her...

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 13:37:58

Penny

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jul-09 13:55:33

sorry it was just the way you put in the sidenote about your dh doing something similar when you were against it, and thought you were using that as an excuse for you to do it now because he'd set a precedent.
didn't mean to insinuate that you were a petty,tit for tat person. my apologies.

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 13:58:12

No apology needed, it's so easy to misconstrue conversations which are not face to face.

Have you looked at the dog? What do you think? Shall I "work" on DH and ring tomorrow? grin

Think I'll ring anyway.....

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 13:59:01

And so many people do tit for tat things....sorry, I'm rambling, thinking about extra dog walks......

DrunkenDaisy Wed 22-Jul-09 13:59:59

I like Lexus and Jack.

what do people think about having a dog when you work full time, but hiring someone to come and walk it in the middle of the day?

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 14:02:10

I know people who do this.

mayorquimby Wed 22-Jul-09 14:03:05

i like caz the best. this is the problem, everytime i see rescue dogs i want to take at least one home.

Iklboo Wed 22-Jul-09 14:05:06

My 15yr old whippet/greyhound cross is getting very wobbly and I'm dreading the day..
Would love to get a replacement for her after we'd all calmed down and ideally a rescue dog would suit us.
I work FT but DH is a driving instructor and only usually out of the house for2-3 hour 'bursts' in the day at most. We've got a small front garden but plenty of parks & grassy areas to walk. Would a rescue centre allow us to adopt?

DrunkenDaisy Wed 22-Jul-09 14:09:56

Wouldn't my potential dog get lonely during the day, even with a walk in between? I would quite like a small dog that i can knit jumpers for.

Is there a type of small dog that's better at being on its own than others? I would get it a kitten to play with.

twoluvlykids Wed 22-Jul-09 14:12:48

Erm....lots of dogs and cats don't like each other. I wouldn't get a kitten for the dog to "play with". Wouldn't be fair to either animal.

Maybe get a toy dog? And I mean a real toy, f you want it to wear clothes. Not a real dog!

purpleduck Wed 22-Jul-09 14:21:30

Daisy - I don't think I would get a dog if you are working full time - it really isn't fair. sad

DrunkenDaisy Wed 22-Jul-09 14:22:39

I think you're mean and patronising.

I was just being honest. Just because I want to 'baby' my dog a bit doesn't mean I'd be less responsible as you or anyone else in caring for my dog.

Not everyone has to be the traditional type - I can picture you know parading through forests with an entire pack sniffing at your crotch.

Ok maybe the cat and dog wouldn't get on but i thought if you got them as babies at the same time they bonded much closer. Maybe Penny won't like you!

For your information, throughout my life I've had many animals (horses, dog, cats rabbits etc) all of whom have been wonderfully cared for and blissfully happy.

DrunkenDaisy Wed 22-Jul-09 14:23:58

I'm not going to, I was only asking.

bubblerock Wed 22-Jul-09 14:28:35

ahh, Penny is cute! Go rescue her!smile

melmog Wed 22-Jul-09 14:29:32

OP, Penny is reserved, was that you??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now