Talk

Advanced search

To want to go to Camp Bestival - Swine Flu - Am pregnant - Should I still go? - Please help

(15 Posts)
Stigaloid Wed 22-Jul-09 10:13:22

Am in two minds as to what to do with regards to this weekend. Have bought a one day ticket for Saturday for my DH and DC and I to go to Camp Bestival. We are staying in a local Premier Inn for the night as no camping tickets were left. Am looking forward to it but am pregnant and as there seems to be advice that pregnant women and children under 5 should avoid crowded places I do not know whether to try and sell my ticket or just go.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

PS have also posted this in Camping but think more people look here so am hoping for advice.

franklymydear Wed 22-Jul-09 10:16:40

Well the odds are there will be various viruses doing the rounds.

Camping and Festivals where people live on top of each other and have limited sanitary opportunities are great for virus spread

But its also expensive

So it has to be your decision.

I have to say we're going to Camp Bestival and one of my children is off school today as she woke up vomiting (she has a sensitive stomach and I'm fairly sure we've all already had swine flu) I'm just hoping she'll be better by tomorrow when we're setting off. So as long as she's not actively puking we're still going because we've bought tickets and prepared for it and the children are looking forward to it.

So I imagine even those with suspected viruses will feel very similar and will probably go anyway hoping they / their children will recover on the way

Stigaloid Wed 22-Jul-09 10:37:40

Hmmm - i think you are right. People still go out when sick so i guess it is just asking for trouble but am so gutted.

HeadFairy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:39:35

Personally I'd go, being out in the fresh air is going to be healthier than indoors or on a crowded train/bus. I think when the govt say pregnant women may want to consider staying away from crowded places I'm assuming that means enclosed crowded places. I think being in the open reduces your chances of catching it massively.

Stigaloid Wed 22-Jul-09 10:42:15

I was wondering that too HeadFairy - i have no intention of going somewhere like the O2 or anything and i don't think Dorset is badly hit, but then people will be travelling from all over and like the PP wrote, many will come with viruses anyway as they would rather have a good time than stay home. Gah! I don't know what to do but must make decision today as will need to cancel Premier Inn so as not to get charged.

Wish i could make my mind up - am scatter brained at best of time sbut worse so when pregnant!

Bolshy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:42:23

I live fairly near the venue and swine flu is absolutely rife here at the moment - as are various other viruses. My whole family has just had the second dose of illness within a fortnight. If I was pregnant, I wouldn't go.

TigerFeet Wed 22-Jul-09 10:43:08

I'm pg too and I'd go. You could pick it up anywhere. I agree with HeadFairy, enclosed spaces pose far more of a risk.

Bolshy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:43:14

Dorset has been fairly badly hit by swine flu since Glastonbury brought it down this way.

muffle Wed 22-Jul-09 10:43:27

I think you can go and be careful. Take lots of that gel stuff to use on your hands regularly, don't stand too close to people, and if anyone coughs or sneezes near you, move away and out with the gel again.

The advice basically when you get down to the nitty gritty seems to be that you can still get on with your life but when pg try to follow the hygiene advice very strictly.

CaresMildly Wed 22-Jul-09 10:43:42

I would go, just take some of that hand sanitiser stuff with you so you can clean up before eating/after loo/etc. Definitely think being out in the fresh air and enjoying yourself will do you good. Haver fun!

Hulababy Wed 22-Jul-09 10:47:07

I'd probab;y still go.

JemL Wed 22-Jul-09 11:02:51

I'd still go. I went to Glastonbury while pregnant, the whole swine flu thing never occured to me!

It is a worry when you are pregnant, but realistically there is a limit to the precautions you can take.

Stigaloid Wed 22-Jul-09 15:57:20

Have decided to cancel. Son has a slight cold at the moment and don't want to risk it. Absolutely gutted as really looking forward to this. DH not too bothered as not a festival type so was only doing this for me. Will take DC to local farm to see pets and we can watch Mr Tumble on TV. Sigh. Thanks for advice ladies x

stonethecrows Wed 22-Jul-09 17:20:02

Stigaloid, so sorry you felt you couldn't go, hope you can find something nice to do this weekend instead.

Franklymydear - nice attitude - good of you to spread your germs around in a family festival angry

Bolshy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:33:31

FWIW, Stigaloid, I think you made the right decision. Someone that I know locally came back from Glastonbury with swine flu and is STILL really poorly with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now