Talk

Advanced search

to want to throw the neighbours fragile parcel down the stairs

(28 Posts)
inzidoodle Tue 21-Jul-09 20:11:59

I have lived here over 5 years. Neighbour and her family DH and 2 grown DC live next door. My DH and I have always been polite smile/say hello/move bin in for them etc etc The neighbours DH and DC (who have now moved) have always been polite back. But she has always been a total cow...never makes eye contact never says hello and it just a very very rude amd ignorant person.

Anyway a parcel came today for her (9am) and was left at mine because she wasnt home...fairly large in size like 4 shoeboxes bound together. She came home an hour later and has been home since and hasnt come to get it.

Is it just me that thinks thats very rude hmm also pissed of as we have a dog that will bark if she knocks the door tonight and probably wake DD

am I a bitch to be tempted to throw the parcel downstairs......

.....which I wouldnt actually dogrin but the thoughts there!!!!!

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 20:13:41

maybe she is very shy which is why she doens't make eye contact?

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Tue 21-Jul-09 20:14:20

Have you never thought that maybe she has SN? Aspergers? Autism?

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 21-Jul-09 20:14:40

YABU - you have no idea of her life/circumstances/reasons for not speaking to you.

Morloth Tue 21-Jul-09 20:14:59

Are you sure she has the card thingy to know you have it? I had a parcel at the neighbours for a week before she gave me a buzz. I never got the little card saying they had signed for it.

Notalone Tue 21-Jul-09 20:15:11

She may be shy or depressed or she may just be a rude cow. I would go round there with it and give it to her at a time that is convenient to you. If you don't she will probably knock just as you sink into a lovely bubbly bath or an other equally annoying time.

Wonder what the parcel is <<nosy emoticon>>

hercules1 Tue 21-Jul-09 20:15:46

Loads of people find it hard to make such contact with others. Yabu.

EnglishCream Tue 21-Jul-09 20:16:04

Gosh yes, I would have thought she was on possibly on the spectrum with behaviour like that.

That is her possibly excused,what is your defence.??

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 20:16:19

How does she know you have it? She might be very shy, avoiding eye contact can be a sign of low self confidence, cut her some slack.
No wonder she does not look at you, she might be scared of you, she might even be a MN...grin

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Tue 21-Jul-09 20:16:46

how do you know that she knows the parcel is with you?

If you have signed for it thwey wouldn't leave a card anywhere

and she may not be a bitch

AmazingBouncingFerret Tue 21-Jul-09 20:17:44

Maybe its a REALLY big self help book on how to talk to people you dont know so well!

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 20:18:34

Also she sounds depressed, i mean according to you her husband and children have left home! shock

littleducks Tue 21-Jul-09 20:19:10

Seriously just take the parcel to her, i always do if i see neighbour come home, if she still is awkward and you feel she is rude just dont accept parcels in future if you feel it too much hassle

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 20:19:48

This is your chance to make friends with her!

inzidoodle Tue 21-Jul-09 20:20:05

I think I can tell after 5 years of trying to be friendly if someone is rude or is unable to communicate....she doesnt have any problems when she is in her garden talking to friends/relatives etc

Maybe I look like a monster hmm

bigchris Tue 21-Jul-09 20:20:48

yabu

she probably doesnt know you have it

you shouldnt have taken it in if you were going to be so mean spirited about giving it to her

inzidoodle Tue 21-Jul-09 20:21:20

LOL at Amazingbouncingferret!!! grin

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 20:23:03

You can't be a monster with lovely children such as yours (seen your profile). Maybe your neighbour is just strange, is she older than you?

inzidoodle Tue 21-Jul-09 20:27:36

Aw thanks ripeberry smile smile

She is maybe late 50's.....I just think she really doesnt like me and i am not good with people not liking me I am nice grin!!!!!

............I even post a xmas card every year!!!

ladyofshallots Tue 21-Jul-09 20:30:16

I don't have any problem talking to friends and relatives, but have a massive social phobia that means I find it difficult to make eye contact or strike up conversation with people I don't know well. That can include neighbours I have lived next to for years. I bet you would think I was rude too.

Ripeberry Tue 21-Jul-09 20:33:10

There's your answer then, the age gap and ladyofshallots post. Deliver it now and get it over with smile

KingCanuteIAm Tue 21-Jul-09 20:37:03

It is more than possible that she just doesn't know, they often don't leave cards round here!

It is also possible that she has issues of her own and she is waiting in for her dh to get home so he can collect the parcel. For all you know she could have spent the day terrified that you will knock on her door with the blooming parcel and she will have to interact with you. A friend of mine was terrified of contact with the outside world, a phone ringing would have her hiding under the stairs (I mean really, for hours). She could talk to people in the street but she hated it and tried to avoid it if she could. I know she seemed rude but she wasn't really.

Have a heart and give her the benefit of the doubt, at the end of the day it makes no real difference to you, if she has a problem or if she doesn't like you, either way you two are never going to be friends so why not be the nice person here and assume it is something she cannot help?

knpeppa Tue 21-Jul-09 21:17:23

"Anyway a parcel came today for her (9am) and was left at mine because she wasnt home...fairly large in size like 4 shoeboxes bound together."
Maybe she bought 4 pairs of shoes and doesn't want her husband to see?

shigella92 Tue 21-Jul-09 21:33:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 21-Jul-09 21:34:36

If you don't like her much, and don't interact with her much...why did you accept the parcel? you could have told the postie 'no she won't like it'!!!

For what it's worth, it's how I made friends with my neighbours, accepting their post whilst on materenity leave, my hallway looked like a royal mail sorting office, but my neighbours appreciated it and we're all on very good terms!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now