Talk

Advanced search

to not want to go and sit in a central london restaurant because I'm pregnant and might get swine flu?

(18 Posts)
anna456 Tue 21-Jul-09 18:37:23

title says it all really...perhaps i'm being over-paranoid

corblimeymadam Tue 21-Jul-09 18:44:00

Message withdrawn

Tambajam Tue 21-Jul-09 18:46:44

I think you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
I can understand why you might feel worried. Do you live in London? I think it's going to be pretty hard to avoid being in crowds TBH.

RorysRacingMa Tue 21-Jul-09 18:49:44

Chances are you won't so why not have a good night out - they're few and far between in my book.
Is it your 1st pregnancy? How far are you?

But ultimately it's as tambajam says 'do what you feel comfortable with'

MadameCastafiore Tue 21-Jul-09 18:52:11

Bit hysterical really - why do you think you would have more chance of getting SF in the big smoke?

Do you not think that people are less ikely to go out for dinner if they have symptoms whereas they may HAVE to go to the supermarket so you have more chance of getting it in Waitrose!

SetSquare Tue 21-Jul-09 18:52:43

fgs

retiredgoth2 Tue 21-Jul-09 19:06:50

I presume this is a joke, right?

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 19:08:27

of course you are being over paranoid

you cannot quarantine yourself for the next x months

enjoy the chance to be out and about

corblimeymadam Tue 21-Jul-09 19:09:59

Message withdrawn

janeite Tue 21-Jul-09 19:13:42

Anna - you are being paranoid but you probably know that really!

It really isn't helped by the media, whipping things into a frenzy with every available opportunity.

You will be no more at risk in a restaurant in London than you would on a bus in Bradford, a train in Tipton or a limousine in Lichfield tbh.

You can't stay away from people at all times, unless you fancy becoming a hermit!

LyraSilvertongue Tue 21-Jul-09 19:16:21

You're being ridiculous. Swine flu is everywhere, not just in London.

sweetss Tue 21-Jul-09 19:19:24

I admit I may be paranoid but I do understand your concern -- if I can avoid going to extremely crowded places I do it...

piscesmoon Tue 21-Jul-09 19:23:07

I think you are more likely to come into contact in a supermarket, bank etc-all the places that you have to go to in RL-why single out a London restaurant?

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 19:33:02

i am 29 weeks PG

but the advice is to carry on your usual business

there is no reason why going to a restaurant is making you more at risk that doing your daily commute

i do apologise if my original post seemed dismissive though

anna456 Tue 21-Jul-09 19:40:46

I don't do a daily commute and maybe that's why it seems like a big deal... yes you are probably right that it's the hormones - I'm sure I'm usually more rational than this. Just feel v protective of my baby...

vickram Thu 23-Jul-09 05:25:03

Hey not necessarily paranoid. I'm pregnant in London too and have been careful about where I go. We are near some of the areas with the worst outbreaks in London (and UK..), so if we go to a restaurant we have been dining al fresco in quiet spots. Go with your gut instinct. You can't rid yourself of all risk, but can minimise a lot without it being too restrictive.

Longtalljosie Thu 23-Jul-09 07:17:03

Well, London is a bit of a hotspot, so it's reasonable in that respect if the OP doesn't live in London for her to worry about going to London specifically.

That said - you'd still be staggeringly unlucky, OP - perhaps if you are concerned, get a cab from the station / car park and avoid the tube?

I work in central London and tbh it seems to be schools / nurseries which have the cases - no-one in my office did.

That said, if you're not going to enjoy yourself, there's no point in going...

pootle09 Thu 23-Jul-09 08:35:17

Swine flu is everywhere, but it's more prevalent in london so there IS more chance of catching it there than on a bus in bradford etc isn't there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now