Talk

Advanced search

To think that people who use this babyplanning service (?) have more money than sense?

(36 Posts)
BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-09 13:48:21

I just saw a link to this site over on another thread, and read a few paragraphs before my brain started to ache with how pointless and a what a stupid waste of money doing this would be. Can people do nothing without professional help these days?

Do I just not get it? What am I missing?

Shall I set up a business helping people plan their next trip to the toilet? With a VIP package for anyone needing a poo?

NormaSknockers Tue 21-Jul-09 13:51:35

The worlds gone bonkers....YANBU!

HolyGuacamole Tue 21-Jul-09 13:55:36

Jesus, you can have help with all that for free on MN grin Some people have more money than sense.

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 21-Jul-09 14:01:59

Message withdrawn

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Tue 21-Jul-09 14:02:58

<phew>

I got all the answers correct in the quiz.

<as I should after 3 babies>

Do people seriously pay for this sort of thing? What's wrong with reading a book, talking to people, using the internet???

HensMum Tue 21-Jul-09 14:06:37

Why would someone pay £400+ for a list of stuff that someone thinks they need? hmm I really am missing something.

My local Children's Centre gives out lists of M&T groups, activities and childcare for free, as do the HVs. Do people not realise that?!

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-09 14:07:03

It's for rich idiots people who are too busy and posh and who think MN is Lower Middle Class I guess...

sazzerbear Tue 21-Jul-09 14:08:48

I wish i'd thought of the idea, obviously a money spinner! grin

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-09 14:16:18

Actually, don't MILs do this as a career for free?

wasabipeanut Tue 21-Jul-09 14:19:19

I so wish I'd thought of this. The OP is right - a great deal of people really can't do anything without professional help now and the people that realised they could come up with yet another way to screw cash out of parents to be should be congratulated for their chutzpah.

I bought some crap I didn't need with my first baby but not £400's worth. Mainly just a moses basket actually and it eventually came in handy for toy storage.

EffieGadsby Tue 21-Jul-09 14:21:16

I'd feel a bit sad if I weren't to do the planing myself, with DP. In an article about them in the Observer, they say that they average woman spends 150 to 250 hours preparing for the birth of the first child - if you deduct the ante natal classes and appointments from that, it's not really an absurd amount of time, and it's good time well spent. I'm surprised the type of women using this service have enough time to even conceive the wee things.

HensMum Tue 21-Jul-09 14:22:09

But the £400 isn't even for the crap - it's for the list of crap to buy! Which probably costs another £4000.

I'm quite impressed by their nerve actually.

hf128219 Tue 21-Jul-09 14:23:45

And what is wrong with being too busy and posh? grin

HolyGuacamole Tue 21-Jul-09 14:26:18

grin hensmum

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-09 14:28:28

They must have been chuffed to get that free advert in the Guardian hmm

As HC said earlier, you get that advice on MN for free.

VinegarTits Tue 21-Jul-09 14:28:38

URGENT MESSAGE: BOF i need a POO, send VIP pack imminently grin

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-09 14:31:31

Hf, even you are plebby enough to be capable of googling grin

BitOfFun Tue 21-Jul-09 14:33:44

< rushes to VT's aid with babywipes and an invoice for £650 > grin

RealityIsGettingMarried Tue 21-Jul-09 14:34:25

Message withdrawn

EffieGadsby Tue 21-Jul-09 14:37:45

Just looking at their site again, and see that they don't even help you to actually get all the crap they tell you you'll need! "We develop your Babyplan to list everything you need, a timeline of when you need it and full details of where to get it." So you still have to do the waddling around the shops bit yourself. Planning what to get is the easy part.

I did their quiz and I didn't know what posset was (and here was I thinking it was a type of pudding...). Am clearly going to be a terrible mother and I pity the bump.

VinegarTits Tue 21-Jul-09 14:38:39

Bof you forgot to charge me £100 for a one-to-one session to get to know my poo-planner before commiting the the poo grin

muggglewump Tue 21-Jul-09 14:39:12

Bloody Hell.
People actually pay for this?

And the thing is, it won't be the folk who are maybe in need of help either, it'll be those very intelligent folk, with really good jobs who pay for it.

Can people not think for themselves anymore?

I've been thinking this in general recently, particularly with baby products, but got called insensitive and offensive after suggesting that only a numpty wouldn't be able to work out if a bath was too hot without the aid of a thermometerhmm

thefortbuilder Tue 21-Jul-09 14:43:26

VT you must make sure that the VIP pack contains moist paper and not tesco value stuff grin

I agree with hensmum - it's complete nerve, but seriously, it doesn't take long to do a website and if someone's willing to pay....

babybarrister Tue 21-Jul-09 14:43:33

I rather get the impression that the "service" is less about an individual sugning up than it is about comanies signing up so that they can be seen to be "women friendly" - have a look at the links on the side ....

I think this is the mums' equivalent of PR "greening" n'est ce pas???!!!

FAQinglovely Tue 21-Jul-09 14:47:56

PMSL @ the quiz question

"Where an epidural given"

1. The clitoris
2. The buttocks
3. in the "epidural" space in the lower back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now