Talk

Advanced search

Is it me, or my DH?

(13 Posts)
Frasersmum123 Mon 20-Jul-09 14:11:22

Bit of Background - My DH works from home and had to move out of our box room when DD was born 9 months ago. luckily our house has a small utility room which he manages to use as his office now, plus another utility room the other side of it that I use as my washroom etc, with washing machine etc.

Now the problem is that you have to go through his 'office' to get to the utility room, and the back garden. DS2 loves to run around, and due to him being autistic, has a fasscination with the washing machine, plus he loves going outside to play with his bikes and trampoline.

Now some time before Christmas DH asked me to buy him a door of Ebay which I paid £70 for (which I had put aside for Christmas) so that he could effectively cordeon off his office and we would be able to use the other utility room and the passage to the backdoor, but he hasnt done this yet for a variety of reasons, some valid and some not so!

He now says that because he spends alot of time on the phone calling clients that I should keep DS in the house. I try and do this as much as possible, and we go to the park alot, but sits difficlut to keep him couped up all the time, and as I have two children in washables, the washing machine is on alot, and as soon as he heras it he wants to be out there.

I understand DH is stressed as business isnt exaclty booming at the moment, but am I being unreasonable, or should he put the door up?

LynetteScavo Mon 20-Jul-09 14:13:34

Well, obvioulsy he should put the door up!

MovingOutOfBlighty Mon 20-Jul-09 14:14:08

I couldn't stand my DH to work from home. I'm sorry, but its either his office or somewhere where you and the DCs can be as noisy and uninhibited as they would like.
Think the onus is on him to get the office as soundproofed as possible. You can't be out of the house all day FFS!!

shootfromthehip Mon 20-Jul-09 14:17:16

Yip, he needs to get the door on ASAP. I could never keep my 2 in all day to not disturb other people. No way, no chance.

annK Mon 20-Jul-09 14:17:54

I think it's unreasonable not to let the children play outside, maybe you can agree on a time say (from 2-3pm) when children can play outside and he can schedule his calls for later?

This sounds a lot like my DH and he always has all the reasons in the world to justify all his needs but the truth also is that he is extremely self-centred and I have to struggle against this all the time, so stand your ground and get to an agreement.

mumblechum Mon 20-Jul-09 14:18:03

Why can't you go out of the front door then walk round to the back garden?

If not poss, agree it's up to your dh to get someone in to put the door up if he can't or won't do it himself.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 20-Jul-09 14:19:31

Yesa, he should put the door up. It's not reasonable to expect any child to stay indoors all summer when there's a garden.

Frasersmum123 Mon 20-Jul-09 14:25:44

Thanks everyone. He says im being unreasonable as he has to work from home.

You cant get to the back garden from the front unfortunaely, as our utility/garage was built over the passage to the back garden.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 20-Jul-09 14:40:41

If he has to work from home, won't the door be a legitimate business expense, so reducing DH's tax bill?

potplant Mon 20-Jul-09 14:56:02

Old lady - the door is a legitimate business expense but you still have to pay for it, its just a bit cheaper.

I can see where your DH is coming from, you can't present the most professional image when you have a child running around in the background.

Having said that, you've had the door for 7 months - just get someone round and get the door put up.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 20-Jul-09 15:07:22

Oh I know it still has to be paid for, but I thought the argument might appeal to the bloke's business sense. grin

PuppyMonkey Mon 20-Jul-09 15:13:28

Sorry, I don't understand where the door is going.. won't you all still have to go through the office to get the utility room?

jeminthepark Mon 20-Jul-09 15:15:24

He should get the door sorted, it is unreasonable to expect a child to be cooped up like that- ffs.

YANBU x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now