Talk

Advanced search

To consider staying away from the hospital

(11 Posts)
leftangle Mon 20-Jul-09 11:35:58

dd (12 weeks) is booked in for a scan for a heart murmer spotted at her 8 week check up. However I'm now getting worried that taking her to a busy hospital will put her at risk of catching swine flu. I'm not too concerned about the heart thing as the drs said it was probably nothing and she is so lively, so would it be better to wait until there is less risk of catching flu (although I know this could be months).

ninedragons Mon 20-Jul-09 11:37:25

Personally I'd be far more concerned about the possibility of a heart problem than of catching swine flu, but talk to your consultant about the realistic risks.

LIZS Mon 20-Jul-09 11:38:05

Go - ogf she suddenly gets ill and you haven't had a diagnosis or all clear it could become far more serious. Far mroe likely to catch it at a baby clinic, mums and tots or even shopping.

2shoes Mon 20-Jul-09 11:39:19

yabu
she could get it going to the shops

DesperateHousewifeToo Mon 20-Jul-09 11:43:55

Go!

A possible heart problem takes priority over a worry about getting swine flu.

Thunderduck Mon 20-Jul-09 11:50:56

YABU.Go. It is likely to be nothing, but it may not be so take her.
A heart problem isn't something you want to ignore.

gorionine Mon 20-Jul-09 11:54:24

I agree with 2shoes.

hobbgoblin Mon 20-Jul-09 11:56:02

Go, keep YOUR hands clean and her in car seat with the hood up and blanket to her nose I reckon.

mumeeee Mon 20-Jul-09 12:39:53

YABU. She could catch it anywhere but probably wont. A heart murmer needs checking.

leftangle Mon 20-Jul-09 13:42:28

Fair enough - I will go. Thank you all.

chegirl Mon 20-Jul-09 13:53:02

Go but I do understand.

I spent many many months in hospital with DD. She had no immune system to speak of and taking her anywhere made me really anxious. But I had to.

Hospitals will be extra careful at the moment anyway. Rates of infection in children's departments tend to be very low. (I used to keep an eye on these things)

I have developed some pretty ocd effective infection control routines and still use them now smile

If I go anywhere near a hosptial I take hand cleaner, antibac wipes and it I am staying for any time I take dettol spray.

Dont care if people think I am mad!

If you want some gone bonkers over the years tips:

Light switches
Door handles
Toilet handles

are the devil's germ factories so dont forget to wipe them.

Dust collects everywhere, a quick swipe with an antibac wipe will sort that out.

I'm warming up. I'd better not go one. I think MNs is beginning to see the other side of me blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now