Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What age do you think The Simpsons is suitable for?

(38 Posts)
HuffwardlyRouge Mon 20-Jul-09 10:30:41

I think it is unsuitable for our 3-year-old.

I think the Itchy & Scratchy violence is horrible. I have noticed dd copying the violence between Homer and Bart. She laughs like a drain when people hit and strangle each other.

She has also taken to pointing her bottom at her father or I and 'talking out of it' like Bart does.

hmm

She just loves it. Even when she hadn't seen it for months and months she still asks if she's allowed it every time you ask her if she'd like to watch a dvd.

Dh and I agreed last year that it isn't suitable and we completely stopped her watching it ever. Now I notice she is watching The Simpsons Film with dh now and then.

I ask AIBU because the time they watch it is when dh has got up early with her and I am getting an extra hour in bed (because I've been up all night with ds). I strongly believe that it is entirely up to dh to decide how he wants to spend his time up with the children at 6am or earlier!

But, but, but... I hate her watching Simpsons.

Am I right? It's horrid for young children, isn't it? Or am I being a wally? AIBU?

TitsalinaBumsquash Mon 20-Jul-09 10:35:24

My 4year old watches it! Hed loves it, but i don't think he understands a lot of it. He has never copied any violence from watching it, we always make sure to confir that Bart and Homer are Being silly or whatever.

MorningTownRide Mon 20-Jul-09 10:38:56

DC are 2 and 4 and they love the film and watch the series. They don't copy the violence or the language.

Although do be careful your dd doesn't end up saying "Bountiful penis. Amen" grin

TsarChasm Mon 20-Jul-09 10:42:49

I agree with you actually Huff.

Mine watch it sometimes now they're older (10and7). When they were younger I didn't really want them to watch it though.

There are so many other (gentler) programmes aimed at 3yr olds, it seems a shame to bypass that stage and go straight into cheeky fart/Bart jokes.

Even I realised that I wasn't going to keep them away from the Simpsons forever, but at 3 there didn't seem any need for it and they weren't really aware of it either then as I remember.

randomtask Mon 20-Jul-09 10:44:15

My 7 year old loves it but sometimes we 'distract' him during bits that I feel aren't suitable (older jokes etc). He doesn't copy the violent parts but he does laugh at the rude (and the violent) bits. I'm (probably) a bit prudish so I wouldn't let my child watch it until they were old enough to realise it's okay when it's on tv but not real life IYSWIM.

bruffin Mon 20-Jul-09 10:44:17

Mine watched it from little,part of their bedtime routineblush and it didn't do them any harm.
They never copied the violence and have grown up nice polite children

ipiratethief Mon 20-Jul-09 10:44:56

my d has been watching it since the age of about 3, tbh I am more uncomfortable now that she is 7 with her watching it. As she understands more of it iyswim, yet generally, I am ok with it.

bruffin Mon 20-Jul-09 10:45:31

The older jokes go straight over their heads by the way.

HuffwardlyRouge Mon 20-Jul-09 10:48:50

Exactly Tsar. We have Dora or Tikkabilla or Finding Nemo or Maisy Mouse or any number of nice, gentle, interesting dvds. Why is she so much more impressed with Simpsons?

The Itchy and Scratchy bits are just nasty. And the knowing joke is that Bart and Lisa fall about laughing, totally desensitised to the violence and horror...

ReneRusso Mon 20-Jul-09 10:51:45

Mine have watched it since about 4 years old. The thing I used to wince at was liberal use of the word crap <prude>. If you're really going to overanalyse it, the overall moral message tends to be good.

Dineysor Mon 20-Jul-09 10:53:27

3 is too young
8 up I would say

HuffwardlyRouge Mon 20-Jul-09 10:56:37

The overall moral message, good or bad, goes flying over my 3-year-old's head. She just notices the strangling, the 'crap', the butt talking, the rudeness and the shouting.

I think I'm convincing myself that I'm right here. Will gently ask dh if they can watch something different. He will happily oblige, I know, which is why I wanted to be sure I'm not being a nag for the sake of it before I said anything.

HuffwardlyRouge Mon 20-Jul-09 10:57:34

God, but she loves it though. Why? Why is it so much more appealing to her than Charlie and Lola?

Dineysor Mon 20-Jul-09 10:59:57

move her onto disney? then she can be talking with atuhority about dating

potplant Mon 20-Jul-09 11:01:27

Mine DTs are 6 and they love it - I don't mind it because a lot of the stuff which is aimed at an adult audience they don't get.

Although I agree with the Itchy and Scratchy comments - they don't know its ironic.

I find things like Ben 10 and Power Rangers much more offensive tbh. Its just complete rubbish.

ipiratethief Mon 20-Jul-09 11:01:30

cos it's just funnier, and lots of slapstick, always appeals to little ones .

Dineysor Mon 20-Jul-09 11:02:50

love this about disney chanel

fortyplus Mon 20-Jul-09 11:06:33

If she's watching the Simpsons film that presumably means you have the dvd? That's hardly steering her away from it is it?

I tried to avoid the Simpsons till mine were about 8 but they did watch it at friends' houses. It won't turn her into a delinquent wink

FimbleHobbs Mon 20-Jul-09 11:14:28

Mine are 2 and 4 and they like the TV show, which I let them watch occasionally on evenings when its too early for bed but they're too tired from nursery to do much but veg. Haven't seen the film.

I must admit I like watching something that we can all watch... DH and I will veg out too if the Simpsons is on and its nice. Can't say the same for ITNG etc.

Tinker Mon 20-Jul-09 11:18:42

LOL (in a non-nasty way!) at "Why is it so much more appealing to her than Charlie and Lola?" C&L are very annoying though aren't they?

I only noticed teh other day that Mr Potato Head sticks his mouth on his bottom when Woody starts talking in one scene grin

Is Itchy & Scratchy any more violent than Tom & Jerry etc? I wholly approve of The Simpsons for kids.

BonsoirAnna Mon 20-Jul-09 11:22:34

DD (4.8) watches The Simpsons (dubbed in French) with her older brothers (11, 14) and has done for at least two years now. It is about the only thing she has ever seen on TV - all the rest of her viewing is DVDs selected by me for their great content.

I really don't understand the appeal of The Simpsons for her, but she loves it. I reckon that one or two viewings a fortnight won't do her much harm, especially given the rest of the media she is exposed to.

mumeeee Mon 20-Jul-09 12:14:50

3 is to young. I think it's okay for over 8's.

proverbial Mon 20-Jul-09 12:15:53

Mine have watched it forever, they love futurama too. They don't get most of it, have never copied anything other than DS1's new favourite phrase "Unhand me Yankee!" which he got from a recent episode grin

I far prefer it to the likes of Power Rangers and most of the stuff on Jetix and cartoon network, which is almost completely banned here. The Simpsons I have no problem with, its part of the bedtime routine now, and I'm not changing what works! wink

neversaydie Mon 20-Jul-09 12:22:28

DS tends to adopt role models and copy behaviour. DH and I agreed fairly early on that funny though the Simpsons is (are?) we really didn't want to be raising a mini Bart Simpson.

So it is not regular viewing at home. DS is now 10 and enjoys the programme occasionally, but certainly doesn't feel he is missing out because it is not on the regular viewing list.

Family Guy is banned for the under 21's in our house on the same basis!

TitsalinaBumsquash Mon 20-Jul-09 12:25:08

DP finds it strange that i let my DS's watch The Sipsons but not Power Rangers or Spiderman, Simpsons is light hearted and obviously all a big joke, Spiderman can geta bit dark at times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now