Talk

Advanced search

to think that we should bring back the village stocks for people who light bonfires when everyone has their washing hung out on a lovely day?

(16 Posts)
BoffinMum Mon 20-Jul-09 09:26:32

You know the feeling, you get up early, strip the beds, wash it all nicely and get it out on the line really early to maximise the day's drying potential whilst ensuring your sheets are rendered whiter than white by the sun, simultaneously saving the planet by not using the tumble dryer. Oh! The sense of satisfaction and virtue!

Then just as you sit down with a nice cuppa and the paper after hanging up your third load of washing SOME PLONKER LIGHTS A BONFIRE SO YOU GET SOOT ALL OVER YOUR WASHING AND IT SMELLS OF BURNT RUBBISH!!! angry angry angry

I think we should introduce a form of local bylaw in which it is perfectly permissible to drag these blokes (it is invariably the males of the species, after all, as they are closet cavemen who like to Make Fire rather than shell out for a skip) to the reinstated village stocks for a full rotten tomato offensive.

Who will join me, ladies????

PM73 Mon 20-Jul-09 09:34:10

Oh yes definitly,this really pisses me off.

geekgirl Mon 20-Jul-09 09:41:22

yes please. My neighbour (retired, here all day every day) loves to burn his wet grass cuttings at the weekends when we're all outside. angry

CyradisTheSeer Mon 20-Jul-09 10:12:32

Message withdrawn

BoffinMum Mon 20-Jul-09 10:25:15

This is the advice from the Council website. It's pretty useless actually because it would mean I have to tramp the streets with small children in tow, having already taken my washing down, trying to identify the culprit from about 50 possible properties, and knocking on a complete stranger's door and arguing with them.

----

Section 79(1) of the Environmental Protection Act requires the local authority to take such steps as are reasonably practicable to investigate complaints that relate to:

•Smoke emissions
•Bonfires

Every year the Environmental Health Division receive a large number of complaints about bonfires causing a repeated nuisance. Such nuisances need never arise if due consideration is shown to our neighbours. This information explains the law and gives some suggestions to help prevent a nuisance being caused.

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 allows the Local Authority to take offenders to court should their bonfires cause a nuisance to neighbours (i.e. have an unreasonable effect on their enjoyment of their home or garden). Moreover any bonfire on trade premises which causes dark smoke is an offence regardless of whether anybody else is affected (section 2, 1993 Clean Air Act). The fines could be up to £20,000 for each offence. Persons complaining to the Council will likely be asked to keep a diary of events to assist officers investigating the matter.

Should you decide to have a bonfire, kindly note these recommendations:

•DO NOT burn damp grass clippings or 'green' material as this creates thick smoke.
•DO NOT burn any oily rags, rubber, plastics, damp garden waste or other materials which would inevitably create heavy smoke or toxic fumes.
•DO NOT light a bonfire when your neighbours have washing drying, or are out enjoying their gardens or have windows
•wide open.
•DO NOT light bonfires one hour before dusk, or leave them burning overnight. Choose the time of day and weather conditions that will cause the least inconvenience to neighbours.
•DO NOT leave your fire to smoulder for long periods.
•DO Advise your nearest neighbours before you light a bonfire so they can be prepared for any minor inconvenience that may arise. DO Burn material quickly in small quantities so the minimum amount of smoke is created. An incinerator makes this much easier.
•DO Choose your bonfire site carefully, well away from trees, fences and windows. Have a hose-pipe and buckets of water handy just in case.

BoffinMum Mon 20-Jul-09 10:49:35

Have complained to council! Yes!

bamboobutton Mon 20-Jul-09 10:56:13

yes! this really pisses me off.

offenders should have their soles whipped by brambles too.

we have people renovating their house next to us and they are too cheap to get a skip so they are burning everything.

it's such a sunny, breezy day here. perfect drying conditions.

hoping4thebest Mon 20-Jul-09 11:00:51

grrrr.
I do not understand why there are no regulations regarding this as there are for so many other things. We live near allotments so they seem to be at it all the time.
Even my son knows how much I hate them.

girlywhirly Mon 20-Jul-09 11:58:41

Agree with all. Mind you, I think stocks would be good punishment for vandals as well.

fluffyanimal Mon 20-Jul-09 12:07:01

Funny how people are much more tolerant of barbecues than bonfires. Yet I think you can get just as much smoke and nuisance from the former on nice days when you want to be out enjoying your garden.

PM73 Mon 20-Jul-09 13:08:15

BambooButton - on first glance i thought you had wrote they should have their arseholes whipped with brambles grin

BoffinMum Mon 20-Jul-09 13:48:15

Bamboo, we are coming over with a big bag of Tesco leftovers to sort next door out for you. I daresay the pineapples will hurt the most. shock

wasabipeas Mon 20-Jul-09 14:02:00

Boffinmum, can you narrow it down to a few houses, then print off the council webpage and post a copy through the doors of the suspects?

BoffinMum Mon 20-Jul-09 14:08:25

Wasabipeas, I probably could narrow it down to about a dozen houses and indeed do this, but the reaction would be for them to ignore it completely, I imagine. We are not dealing with the most sensitive or considerate human beings here really. If it ain't against the law, then they think they can do what they like.

BoffinMum Mon 20-Jul-09 14:09:02

Plus I would rather pelt them with tomatoes wink

piscesmoon Mon 20-Jul-09 14:16:24

People who live near others should never have bonfires.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now