Talk

Advanced search

to not know whether to laugh or despair at this level of ignorance in a mum to be

(57 Posts)
SebbysMum Sun 19-Jul-09 19:01:25

In Mothercare this morning a young couple were bickering about the newborn clothes to buy for the bump. The mother was insistant that the clothes had to be pink and that there should be NO blue for her child. From what I could gather she was also wary of the neutral stuff. Her reasoning - "You wouldn't put a girl in blue would you, she could end up being gay".

Scorpette Sun 19-Jul-09 19:15:01

This is hilarious, especially when you consider that well into the 20C, pale blue was seen as a feminine colour and little girls were dressed in it, whereas pink, being a pale version of dynamic red, was seen as a boy's colour!

Can't believe people are so thick that they think there is a gender to any colour!

I feel sorry for that unborn child - what about jeans; they're blue, so are they banned? And is she going to be stopped from doing or wearing anything that her Mum doesn't find sufficiently feminine?! I just hope she grows up to be a radical feminist Bull Dyke just to piss her mum off!

nickytwotimes Sun 19-Jul-09 19:17:00

Dear God, I wish I could think they were joking, but I have met people like that.
No wonder bigotry lives on!

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sun 19-Jul-09 19:25:14

How much would you laugh if her unborn "girl" turned out to be a boy and she only had pink cloths grin watch out dale winton

AppleandMosesMummy Sun 19-Jul-09 19:27:14

So no allowances for hormones here then hmm

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 19-Jul-09 19:27:37

Oh my God a man once said to me that it was good I breastfed because otherwise he might grow up gay. What goes on in people's minds?

Mrsdoasyouwouldbedoneby Sun 19-Jul-09 19:32:57

It is madness. Someone said they didn't like their child (boy) pushing a buggy cos it might make him gay. I did ask whether her DH ever pushed a pram!!! DS loves all that sort of thing. Though I will put my hands up and say I DID have to suppress a snigger when he came downstairs dressed as a fairy pirate. I laughed openly too... it was a sight to behold. Kids have to be what they are tho!!!

I m one also thinking it would be amusing if the SHE baby was a HE.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sun 19-Jul-09 19:34:07

So if you breast feed girls do they grow up gay?

diedandgonetodevon Sun 19-Jul-09 19:36:03

Oh dear, there is no hope for my poor, pink-wearing DS then.

AmazingBouncingFerret Sun 19-Jul-09 19:38:07

I see this all the time at ELC, drives me bonkers I swear they encourage it.
HappyLand perfectly good as it was HappyLand now comes in pink for girls... Grrr.

differentID Sun 19-Jul-09 19:40:11

I see this level of stupidity every day because I work in retail, specifically children's retail.
And yes, we do POSL when they come in and sheepishly ask to exchange £200 worth of pink stuff, because "she" was a "he".
My absolute favourite was when this rather well-off family had done everything pink- nothing white, as they believed completely that baby was going to be a girl. They had got someone in to do a mural of a fairy castle in the nursery, bought a brand new bright pink carpet, furniture was pale pink touches on white, row upon row of pink frilly dresses, had bought one of those pink leatherette prams.
grin
need I say any more?

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Jul-09 19:45:57

lol
if DS2 is a girl, she's going to be in her big brother's mostly blue hand me downs until she is old enough to have an opinion!
OK well I say that now but I'll end up shopping when she's 2 days old and piling up th epink and lilac stuff...blush
But she can still wear the old stuff at home

reducedfatkettlechip Sun 19-Jul-09 21:04:36

My supposedly educated MIL once announced to my friend that it was good that her dd preferred wearing dresses to trousers as otherwise she might grow up to be a lesbian shock
WTF? It was so wrong on every level, it still leaves me open mouthed at the memory of her saying it.
Thankfully my friend saw the funny side, she's known MIL for years and understands that she's prone to making tactless and wildly inaccurate comments.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 19-Jul-09 21:15:22

Lets hope pink has no bearing on sexual orientation then, my poor son has hand me downs from my dd, so its pink buggy, bed linen and car seat. Im drawing the line at dresses though grin

chegirl Sun 19-Jul-09 21:15:29

There is a lot of that round here. Loads of mums I know come out with 'his dad would go mad at that' when their DS is playing with a buggy at playgroup.

Load of old toss. My OH has never been like that and he fits the sterotype of a man who 'should'.

The idea that a colour or toy could influence sexuality!

One thing that makes me chuckle. My very good friend's dad has always been homophobic and racist. He ended up with a [very] gay son who only goes out with black boys smile.

Makes me laugh everytime I think about it. I can laugh because her dad has radically changed his views now. It wouldnt be funny if he disowned his son though.

MamaHobgoblin Sun 19-Jul-09 21:18:51

Come on, AAMM, you can't blame that sort of blinkered bigotry on pregnancy hormones! She was presumably thick before she got pregnant... With any luck she'll grow up one day and realise how daft she used to be. I do feel sorry for the baby (if she does turn out to be a girl), because she's going to have pink frills all the way, sounds like!

Noonki Sun 19-Jul-09 21:23:02

what a load of homophobic rubbish. Hope the poor kid isn't gay for her sake.

tearinghairout Sun 19-Jul-09 21:27:50

<<smugness alert>>

Little girls used to be dressed in blue, because that was the colour associated with the Virgin Mary. Witness Alice in Wonderland.

NintyZelda Sun 19-Jul-09 21:28:53

When DS used to come to work with me and loved pushing a pink pushchair around, one day one of my workmates said "ooo, he'll end up a poof if you let him have that" shock I was gobsmacked and said what a crock of shit and even if he was gay I wouldn't give a flying fuck as long as he was happy. I was so shocked that people really thought like.

AlistairSim Sun 19-Jul-09 21:33:21

People's attitudes are weird.

My mum took DS into a charity shop were he picked up a baby doll (he loves dolls). As my mum went to pay for it, the women behind the till said "Oh dear! What will his dad think?"
My mum, bless her, said "He won't mind. He's an adult." and walked out.

AppleandMosesMummy Sun 19-Jul-09 21:33:58

Yes she probably is as thick as pigshit and the child will no doubt be thick and ignorant too, but they'd probably not air it in public if not for the pregnancy hormones is my guess.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 19-Jul-09 21:35:22

AppleandMosesMummy - I don't think hormones make an intelligent person ignorant, bordering on homophobic!

dobby2001 Sun 19-Jul-09 21:42:48

Oh god I remember the outfir we had for bringing our baby home was a marks and spence 3 piece - navy blue jacket, white t.shirt with blue trim and 2 tone blue leggings - EVERYBODY kept asking if we knew we were having a boy angry- hich was ironic as if they had looked properly they would have seen the motif on all 3 items was tiny flowers smile Thought it was a good compromise myself - and my DAUGHTER looked lufferly in it grin

LovingtheSilverFox Sun 19-Jul-09 21:45:38

A friend of a friend of a friend (etc) refused to put her little girl in dungarees, because she may grow up to be gay! shock

DDs nursery uniform is bottle green dungarees, what am I doing to her?! She will be in therapy for years, I'm sure! wink

Noonki Sun 19-Jul-09 21:57:01

apples - do you think pregnancy hormones make you ignorant and homophobic hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now