Talk

Advanced search

Advice on 12A certificate, HP

(24 Posts)
bunnybotsmum Sun 19-Jul-09 17:40:16

Is it a good or bad idea to NOT take my nine year old to Harry Potter when she is constantly nagging? its a 12A, is that too unsuitable and scary? Shes never seen any of the other scary ones, (the earlier ones not included) but has set her heart on it.

CyradisTheSeer Sun 19-Jul-09 17:45:02

Message withdrawn

MadEyeMoodyToptheMule Sun 19-Jul-09 17:51:02

There were a few children around the same age as your DD when I went to see it on Wednesday evening. I imagine there might have been a few more in the daytime showings. I think if she doesn't easily scare then she will be fine. There were one or two scenes that were quite scary but not utterly terrifying. However, if she hasn't seen all of the previous films then I don't think it will make complete sense.

Wilts Sun 19-Jul-09 17:54:22

I think a nine year old would be ok. We didn't take Ds2(6) but now I have seen it think he would have been ok,apart from one scene.

There was a toddler in our screeninghmm that spent virtually the whole time crying

janeite Sun 19-Jul-09 17:57:53

Has she read the books? If not, and if she hasn't seen the previous films, I doubt it will make any sense at all to her.

LovingTheRain Sun 19-Jul-09 18:03:04

My DDs (7,8 &10) all enjoyed it.

Not sure if your DD will understand parts of it if she hasn't seen some of the previous movies but this one is light hearted a lot of the time and not too many dark scenes.

The scene with Harry and Dumbledore in the cave may scare her, even made me jump when the inferi popped out the water!! blush

I'd take her - you can always leave if it gets to scary for her (I don't think it will though!) enjoy

AgentCodyBanks Sun 19-Jul-09 18:03:24

there is another thread on this
it wasnt scarey

123andaway Sun 19-Jul-09 18:07:19

Im planning to take my 3 (6,8 + 11). They've watched the other HP films and been fine. YANBU.

Longtalljosie Sun 19-Jul-09 18:13:45

The excellent Parents BBFC website will give you an idea of what to expect... www.pbbfc.co.uk/filmDetail.asp?filmID=1270

5Foot5 Sun 19-Jul-09 18:28:23

We went to see it yesterday. I think 9 should be perfectly OK but, as others have said, if she hasn't read the book or seen the other films she might find it hard to follow.

Some parents in front of us had taken a little boy of 4 or 5 and he was way to young. He whinged quite a bit towards the end and then wet himself. Can't believe someone could be daft enough to take a child that young.

LadyGlencoraSnape Sun 19-Jul-09 19:01:59

Nine should be fine, we saw it yesterday with my nine year old, but as others have said, don't do it if she hasn't seen the others - she will be completely lost. They need to be watched in sequence.

MadameCastafiore Sun 19-Jul-09 19:05:07

Think the only thing I would have issue with is the utterance of the word tosser about 90 seconds in but I don't think it was too scary for a 9 year old who has read the books.

gonaenodaethat Sun 19-Jul-09 19:06:52

I took my 10 yr old DD who has read the books and seen the previous films. She had a tight grip on my hand on a few occasions and I thought some of it was quite scary and disturbing.
I didn't take DD2 who is 7 and am glad
1.It was too intense 2.It's quite complicated and I'm not sure she would've been that interested.

purepurple Sun 19-Jul-09 19:12:23

I know of children as young as 4 that have gone to see this
He did say it was a bit scary though
But he does watch Doctor Who and Primeval

LadyGlencoraSnape Sun 19-Jul-09 21:24:57

I should have thought a four year old would have been very bored apart from anything else. Most of it would have gone way over his head I should imagine.

LadyMuck Sun 19-Jul-09 21:28:23

It has been rated PG in the US. If your dd hasn't seen the other films though I wouldn't start with this one, as I believe it does assume that you will be familiar with the characters.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 21:32:33

I don't think it was a scary or as dark as the one with the tri-wizard tournament (forget which one that was). Theres only one 'jump' scene. A fair bit of silly teenage romancey stuff (nothing explicit, just lots of snogging references) Dumbledores death was done pretty mildly.

LadyGlencoraSnape Sun 19-Jul-09 21:35:17

It's odd, isn't it. I thought it was less scary than the previous two and assume they were hoping for a PG, which the scarier Goblet of Fire was.
But on the other hand I'm glad I didn't take my six year old because she would have been bored as a bored thing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 19-Jul-09 21:37:38

Thats the one 'Goblet of Fire'!
I really thought it would be pretty heavy going but it was much more icky teenage stuff in many ways.
Can't imagine how they will do the next pair of films when as far as I recall half the book was them wandering about camping!

katiestar Sun 19-Jul-09 21:40:38

My 7 YO was fine.the 4 yr old didn't enjoy it though ,she sat in the seat upside down most of the time

LadyGlencoraSnape Sun 19-Jul-09 21:43:06

Katiestar - that's just why I made DH suffer through IceAge3 with DD3 instead of coming to HP. The thought of having to watch the film with that going on in the next seat was too much.

katiestar Sun 19-Jul-09 22:02:09

Yes it was pretty distracting.that and the row of 14yr old boys behind who yapped the whole way through.

bruffin Sun 19-Jul-09 22:06:22

We had a row of teenage girls causing problems as well,thankfully the big man behind us had words with them then got a manager and they quietened down. They were taking photos of each other on their mobiles in the darkhmm and climbing over the chairs

ShellingPeas Sun 19-Jul-09 22:18:46

Agree not scary, just too long and a bit boring for younger children. I took 7 nine and ten year old boys today (DS's birthdya treat) and my seven year old DD - boys sat enthralled and really enjoyed it, DD kept asking how many hours she'd been there for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now