Talk

Advanced search

To want to throttle my Mums local BNP candidate? Or should I go to local press about this faux pas?

(25 Posts)
DrNortherner Sun 19-Jul-09 08:58:57

My Dad died in April sad Amongst many other things he was a highly respected local councillor for the labour party and had been for 15 years. Following his death they are holding a by election to replace him.

The lib dems and tories have been very sensitive with their canvassing, avoiding putting their election leaflets through my Mums door, they have even called in for a cuppa to check she is OK as they were passing as my dad was respected by all parties.

Yesterday my mum comes home to two adressed enveolpoes that have been hand delivered. One for her and one addressed to my Dad sad It was only from the BNP candidate askig them to vote for her, and in the fucking letter it even says 'due to the sudden deah of councillor DRNorther's Dad' and yet they fucking addressed it to him angry

I am angry for 2 reasons, my Dad abhored the BNP and everything they stand for, and this caused unessasary upset to my mum who is finding it hard to cope at the moment.

I have tried to find a phone number for the candidate but I can't. So, what should I do?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 19-Jul-09 09:08:29

Ugghh. Could you try the local paper? If they are not too right leaning they might be interested. How horrible. x

LaurieFairyCake Sun 19-Jul-09 09:10:24

if you can bear it tell the local paper, they deserv everything coming to them. Contact BNP HQ - there must be a large rock they have to crawl under at the end of a day or racist chanting.

Sorry for your loss too sad

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 19-Jul-09 09:11:27

Sorry to hear of your loss. sad

I would definitely ring someone. Either the party who has been kind and supportive for their advice or the local paper.

differentID Sun 19-Jul-09 09:15:46

Why don't you get in touch with the 3 main parties- labour, tory and lib dem and show them these 2 letters?
Ask them if they want to publicise how insensitive the bnp have been in light of your recent loss, because you and your mother are so upset.

MIAonline Sun 19-Jul-09 09:22:31

differentID's advice is good, then you don't have to be focusing on it yourself when you and your Mum should be able to get on with supporting each other.

Sorry that this had added to your mum's distress, would like to say I am shocked, but nothing would shock me about the BNP.

cornsillk Sun 19-Jul-09 09:23:56

Incompetent idiots. Agree with diff ID as well.

babybarrister Sun 19-Jul-09 09:28:16

leaving aside issue of BNP and politics etc [although agree with all written above] my experience of bereavement is that admin "errors" hmm happen all the time - after my mum died in a private hospital I got a bill from the hospital itself addressed to her personally ....I complained and was given "computer says no" type of answer..Unfortunately you will have to steel yourself for a variety of these types of issues in my experience.

sorry for your loss though

DrNortherner Sun 19-Jul-09 09:33:09

I know admin type errors happen all the time, we have even had some of those too! But this, given the circumstances seems so much worse. This BNP candidate is only a candidate because my dad died, they are electing his replacement fgs, the letter even mentions the sad reasons for the by election - my Dad's sudden death. And she posts one individually addressed to my Dad?!

cornsillk Sun 19-Jul-09 09:37:36

That is just awful.

proverbial Sun 19-Jul-09 09:40:12

Well doesn't that just show the level of intelligence of your average BNP candidate? hmm

I would publicise it as much as possible. If your dad was against the BNP (and given he was a councillor) presumably he would agree? Think of it as one last piece of campaigining...wink

Sorry for your loss.

PuppyMonkey Sun 19-Jul-09 09:41:41

Be aware that if you go to the local paper, they may well want quotes, pix etc of you, maybe your mum too. Would you be up for that?

Telling one of the other candidates and letting THEM tell the story to the paper/radios may be worth thinking about.

Bumperslucious Sun 19-Jul-09 11:03:07

Well it's not difficult to think, if they have been hand delivered, 'where did councillor DrNorherner'sdad live?' is it?

Agree about going to the other candidates. Anything you can do to keep those tossers out of the running!

chegirl Sun 19-Jul-09 12:02:34

Let someone else deal with it unless you are feeling very strong.

The story (although I know its much more than a story to you) may induce a flicker of interest or it may take off nationally. You just never know.

Either way it can be upsetting either because people dont seem to care or because your Dad and your life will become the property of everyone else.

I think its awful and I am really sorry for you loss. It sounds as if it was a real loss to your community as well.

Do what you can but look after yourself.

dilemma456 Sun 19-Jul-09 12:23:23

Message withdrawn

sweetnitanitro Sun 19-Jul-09 12:29:29

YANBU, it was insensitive and massively stupid of them to do that. Going to the other candidates is probably the best idea. Sorry for your loss, I hope you and your mum are coping OK despite the letter.

katiestar Sun 19-Jul-09 16:53:07

The delivery person will have just been given a bundle of leaflets and streets to deliver them to.I think YABU to suggest this delivery person would have known which was your Dad's address.
YANBU to be upset about it though

FAQinglovely Sun 19-Jul-09 16:56:48

"The delivery person will have just been given a bundle of leaflets and streets to deliver them to"

Read the OP they were ADDRESSED envelopes - with the names on. Not random leaflets to be shoved through any letter box.

Hassled Sun 19-Jul-09 16:57:42

It's really down to how strong you feel - the easiest option would be to do nothing, and that would be quite understandable. You really have enough shit to deal with.

If you do want to act, given that your father was a Labour councillor, it would make sense to ring the local Labour party and tell them what's happened, and say they have your permission to do with the "story" what they want. Leave it in their hands, and see what comes of it.

Ripeberry Sun 19-Jul-09 17:01:25

BNP members are just thick! Sorry your mum has had such an upset sad

DrNortherner Sun 19-Jul-09 18:56:58

Thanks for all your comments, I have decided to ring the local labour party tomorrow.

My Mum is happy for me to do this. Also, she visited my Dads grave today and because of all the heavy rain his grave had sunk and all his flowers and pots had to be retrieved by my mum kneeling into the gravesad

DrNortherner Tue 28-Jul-09 16:36:34

Quick update on this, in a moment of madness I emailed a national newspaper about this and a reporter called me - they are arranging a telephone interiew and sending round a reporter......

Hopefuly it will be in the press next week. I'll keep you all posted!

DrNortherner Tue 28-Jul-09 16:37:07

sending round a photographer I mean!

Spidermama Tue 28-Jul-09 16:39:43

I would want to call her or write to her directly to tell her what she has done.

Sorry about your Dad. This must be a very hard time for you and your mum.

Spidermama Tue 28-Jul-09 16:40:36

Whoops! I've read the thread now.

Well done you. Update us on what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now