Talk

Advanced search

to expect basic spelling to be correct in EYFS Summative Sheet?

(19 Posts)
sazzerbear Sat 18-Jul-09 14:48:32

This was completed by a keyworker - corkers include colour's, resorces, play's, practised, ingrediants and mobil. It made me feel quite sad that this comes from people responsible for teaching!

nellynaemates Sat 18-Jul-09 14:50:56

It is shocking, but practised is right as in "She practised playing piano every day". It's only "practice" when it's a noun, "practise" if a verb.

sazzerbear Sat 18-Jul-09 14:52:26

oops i'm about to get slated now...grin

mrsboogie Sat 18-Jul-09 17:44:03

what's a summative sheet?

paisleyleaf Sat 18-Jul-09 17:45:27

summat they have to fill in these days

juneybertiebottsbean Sat 18-Jul-09 17:57:48

As a nursery worker... I have to agree about standard of spelling... <slinks off>

FranSanDisco Sat 18-Jul-09 18:13:09

I worked in a pre-school for 3 years and was amazed at some of the spelling and grammer of the staff. However, the level of pay offered doesn't attract the most academic. The cleaner of the pre-school I worked in was paid more than the NVQ 3 qualified staff hmm.

FranSanDisco Sat 18-Jul-09 18:13:35

grammar - it was a typo blush!!

cookielove Sat 18-Jul-09 18:15:17

We who are in childcare are not attracted by the pay but more the quality of a job, i'm quite insulted that you assume i am not academic.

cookielove Sat 18-Jul-09 18:19:13

oh and the op original point, we send out reports termly, i check all of the folders (within my room) before they go out and encourage all my staff to proof read them, to stop any spelling mistakes, however mistakes are made, but the parents generally don't care, they seemed more interested in the report.

SweetnessAndShite Sat 18-Jul-09 18:36:11

I'd agree if it was further down the line, but at foundation stage? I'm just happy that my son is having fun, learning social skills and discovering the world around him at this age.

The misuse of apostrophes is a pet hate of mine, and as a copywriter I had most of my bad spelling drummed out of me by proof readers, so although it would bug me a little I wouldn't think for a second that it would make a difference to that person's ability to look after my child.

RealityIsGettingMarried Sat 18-Jul-09 18:42:41

Message withdrawn

RealityIsGettingMarried Sat 18-Jul-09 18:43:16

Message withdrawn

CaptainUnderpants Sat 18-Jul-09 18:43:38

Yes it is annoying that there are spelling mistakes but the staff are not there to 'teach' your child. They go to school for that.

The pay for childcare is crap and many of these reports are done in at home and you dont get paid for it .

With the new EYFS writing a transition report (i.e a report for when they go off to school from setting ) getting profiles up to date , marking off observations can take 3 - 4 hrs for each child .

so 3- 4 hrs ( x10 if you are keyworker for 10 of them )of your own time and not getting paid for it .

Perhaps that might go some way to explain some spelling mistakes ! grin

geRONtius Sat 18-Jul-09 19:01:30

That's going to appear for months on every grammar-related thread for months.
grin at Reality.

sazzerbear Sun 19-Jul-09 16:07:03

OK OK I know I made a massive boob getting confused with my nouns and verbs, i'm only human! Look, i'm not criticising staff as I know they do a brilliant job and are paid appallingly. Clearly I am more interested in the report, however considering it only covered 16 hours and a lot of the spelling errors were pretty basic, I don't think IABU! grin

pinkthechaffinch Mon 20-Jul-09 20:28:06

YANBU,
i can relate to this,my son's school newsletters have numerous errors and typos and sometimes even his spelling tests are marked incorrectly (Y2).

Ninkynork Mon 20-Jul-09 20:36:35

I've seen several posters advertising my local Nursery's "Summer Fate!" so YANBU...

sazzerbear Mon 20-Jul-09 21:05:59

Thanks guys! Mmn what is a summer fate? Sounds ominous grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now