Talk

Advanced search

to make my sons sign a summer holiday contract?

(14 Posts)
ingles2 Fri 17-Jul-09 20:24:16

They are 8 + 9 and following a dreadful year workwise, I'm working most of the summer holidays and dh is at home.
I've told them I want them to
get dressed,
have breakfast and wash their bowl
make their bed,
brush their teeth
and feed the animals by 9am
so they can watch tv / play games until 11 am and give dh a chance to work for a few hours every day,
they will also get £1 a day for treats,comics etc....
I do feel mean to be so blunt and get them to sign a piece of paper, but they are a nightmare in the morning, ds2 particularly, so have laid it out clearly.....
AIBU to do this?

LisaD1 Fri 17-Jul-09 20:29:10

I don't think YABU to agree things they need to do but I think it's a little mean to make them be up/dressed etc by 9am everyday of the holidays. My DD1 is 9 and she like a lie in, not always but a couple of times a week.

ingles2 Fri 17-Jul-09 20:32:41

Thanks Lisa... the 9 am thing isn't a problem unfortunately they always get up at 6.30/7am regardless of bed time

MrsMellowdrummer Fri 17-Jul-09 20:34:09

Sounds like a good idea. We have a similar thing - big poster on the kitchen wall with all the fun stuff we hope to do over the summer scribbled all over it.

In the bottom right hand corner are my "rules" for summer...
- All jobs (including housework, and tidy bedrooms) to be done by elevenses time. TV and screens go off between 11am-5pm, so we can do INTERESTING THINGS!

Does the job for us! smile

ingles2 Fri 17-Jul-09 20:37:52

Great!.... am so glad it's not just me. They are old enough now to chip in on daily routine without constant nagging
fingers crossed it'll work...
<I give it 3 days>

Firawla Sat 18-Jul-09 11:57:52

Yanbu nothing wrong with that at all
sounds like a good idea really
they know whats expected, then less likely to have problems by them doing the wrong thing, atleast its been made clear

TheProfiteroleThief Sat 18-Jul-09 12:00:10

Nope - sounds good. I don't like endless lie-ins - it makes them stay up too late

oohLahLahRaver Sat 18-Jul-09 12:05:39

I think the £1 a day is a bit excessive IMO. Were you going to give them this money regardless or make them 'earn it'.I think the money should be a reward, you may have planned this but havn't made it clear ??

Doodle2u Sat 18-Jul-09 12:08:01

Worth a try IMO.

dmo Sat 18-Jul-09 15:15:17

why dont you instead of £1 per day say that if everyting is done each day on saturday all 4 of us will go to xyz smile

get them to write 3 things each they would like to do as a family at the weekends

ingles2 Sat 18-Jul-09 17:44:18

I was thinking the money would be a reward for doing what they should without nagging.
We will be doing stuff as a family at the weekends but the money was more to avoid the whinging for ice cream, sweets, comics when we're out etc and also to cover the cost of playing tennis at the village court or going to the swimming pool.
I was also hoping it would help ds2 (he has dyscaluclia) take control of his money and work out what he can buy, change etc...
Am I hoping for too much?

BeastQuest Sat 18-Jul-09 17:44:58

i thinkt he getting up and dressed thing is non neg tbh

ZZZenAgain Sat 18-Jul-09 17:57:02

will it make such a different to them to have it in writing rather than you telling them?

I don't know, it's a bit well cold maybe. Could you have a suggestion box or envelope where they can put some ideas/wishes for the holidays. And then you add some of those into this written contract so it is a bit more two-way?

ingles2 Sat 18-Jul-09 19:46:43

That's what I was worried about Zen, but actually they seem quite happy with it today... All went well this morning. It normally takes ds2 hours to get ready and a fair bit of nagging, but it was done by 9...
I'll alter the contract to make it more 2 way I think...
Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now