Talk

Advanced search

In not wanting my friends to join my diet club?

(8 Posts)
hiddeninthegarden Fri 17-Jul-09 18:02:47

I have name changed as I am a regular and I think the ladies I am talking about may be on here too! blush

I have been going to a diet club for quite a while now, have made some nice friends (all new people).

I have chosen to go to one in the next town so that I could meet some new people there and have some time for me etc.

Some of my friends ask me each week how my weight loss is going etc and now two of my friends (neither particularly close) want to join

I know I probably sound very selfish but i'm not, honest.
I really enjoy my diet club and having these 2 ladies join feels a bit like an intrusion. Neither of them have to loose much weight (about 1 stone each if that) so they possibly would only be there till christmas but once they reach their goal weight they are free memebrs for life so could come for free.

One of the ladies has a very expressive face and will pull faces if there is something she does not like or she thinks is weird. It is not discrete atall and is quite embarassing. Sometimes she'll nudge me and signal who is talking about etc or say "look" which is pretty obvious. The other lady can be quite loud and neither are discrete!

Feely teary as i'm writing this as part of me feels selfish but another part of me doesn't want them intruding on my diet club. I deliberatly chose one in the next town so that I wouldn't know anybody and now it feels like I am going to loose that.

AIBU?

Is there anything I can do to put them off?

MorrisZapp Fri 17-Jul-09 18:09:10

Totally sympathise. I'm a 'compartmentaliser' too and I hate it when people get out of their boxes and meet up with people from the other boxes so to speak.

Worst was when my very sociable best friend took up with my next door neighbour, who she met when she was visiting me and the neighbour popped in to borrow something.

I don't think there's much you can really do - it's a free country and you can't tell them not to go. Maybe just stop talking about the club and it'll slip their minds. Good intentions being what they are, they might not actually go anyway.

Devongirl Fri 17-Jul-09 18:24:00

YANBU, I hate it when two worlds collide in my life! I agree with Morris, just don't mention it. If they ask again tell them about the one nearer your town maybe? I would totally understand if someone told me that something was their 'thing'.

Good luck with your weight loss!

hiddeninthegarden Fri 17-Jul-09 18:32:20

thanks MorrisZapp and Devongirl. The funny thing is, the only time I ever mention it is if they ask much most I lost, and I never talk about the group

I would love to say to them that it ws my thing but in all honestly, I am scared to.

When I turned down a cinema trip with them I got what was near to an interrogation angry. They are the type of women who will go whatever I say to them I think!

ConnieComplaint Fri 17-Jul-09 18:34:30

Hiya.

It being a club open to all members it's up to them if they go, but I totally get where you're coming from too.

Do you think they would want to sit with you? Do you think if someone had a gain & it was read out the expressive faced one would show you up? It does sound a wee bit like you're embarrassed of them both... maybe I've got it wrong though?

Good Luck & well done with your weight loss so far

hiddeninthegarden Fri 17-Jul-09 18:44:50

I think it would very very embarassing if they were to make looks/comments.

Plus, neither of them would like their weight loss/gain being read out! hmm

hiddeninthegarden Fri 17-Jul-09 20:22:06

Anything to put them off?

Devongirl Sat 18-Jul-09 10:02:34

Make a big point of telling them how they read out weight gains then! Just a little white lie and it might discourage them from going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now