Talk

Advanced search

To allow my 12 week old baby to sleep on her side

(15 Posts)
Reallytired Fri 17-Jul-09 16:59:00

I know it is recommended that babies sleep on their backs, but my daughter has other ideas. I put her to sleep on her back, but she rolls on to her side.

At the moment she is fast asleep on her side. I have decided not to disturb her.

akhems Fri 17-Jul-09 17:02:41

I think it's ok, that was the recommended position when mine were little (17 and 19 they are now!) so they were always on their side back then and they're both fine

Helen31 Fri 17-Jul-09 17:05:15

We started settling our baby to sleep on his side at 13 weeks as he was struggling to sleep on his back. A community midwife and doula both suggested it to us independently.

You have to do what you think is right for your baby, and accept that there may be a slight risk I guess in not following the advice word for word.

littleducks Fri 17-Jul-09 17:07:25

I think it is ok once they can move themselves? but to lie them down on their back (and poss reposition if you notice but in the night you wouldnt would you?)

clumsymum Fri 17-Jul-09 17:07:37

It's all very well, these professionals saying "your baby should do x and y", but they are all individuals, and will have their own preferences.

If your LO settles best on her side, then so be it.

A friend of mine had a baby who decided at about 16 weeks that he would ONLY sleep on his front. A big no-no as far as the health professionals are concerned, but it was either he laid on his tummy, or he refused to sleep (so no one else slept). So, he was left to sleep in his tum. He's a healthy 6 y.o. now.

BTW I can't fall asleep lying on my back at all, so my sympathies with your dd

BabyBolat Fri 17-Jul-09 17:14:56

Reallytired, my LO iS 14 weeks and he sleeps however he likes! He often goes on his front and side and trying to move him is pointless, he just rolls back to where he is comfortable - at night I always put him down on his back and then let him get on with it but in the day time when I am mostly around he does whatever he wants!

I second what everyone else says as long as she is comfy and safe (there are no obvious things that could put them at risk) then leave her be...

DandyLioness Fri 17-Jul-09 17:22:02

Message withdrawn

madwomanintheattic Fri 17-Jul-09 17:26:31

in germany i used to visit the nursery on the maternity ward, just to see all the teeny tiny bottoms lined up in the air. v sweet.

with dd2 we were advised to use rolled towels to maintain her position (ex scbu baby with ongoing issues) but under the sheet, not over it. all v complex.

i think you have to attempt to go by current advice, but try not to flap too much if it isn't possible.

smallblessings Fri 17-Jul-09 17:51:25

When my baby rolls onto her side I leave her there, not disturbing a sleeping baby!

haemomum Fri 17-Jul-09 20:21:19

YANBU - my ds was doing this from the moment he was born until he could roll over - which is when he started sleeping on his tummy. Our HV came one day and saw him asleep on his side, immediately jumped to conclusions and began the whole textbook lecture about babies being put on their backs. I politely told her that he rolled himself after I laid him on his back ,and she said "you should try to put him back on his back if he rolls". So, what, I stay awake ALL night to keep rolling him back??
All babies are individuals, if she's comfy sleeping on her side, leave her. Chances are after a few weeks she may stop doing it. I think some babies pull their knees to their chest and the weight kind of pulls them to one side - that what my ds looked like he did anyway!

oohLahLahRaver Fri 17-Jul-09 21:09:13

With DS1 (aged 23) it was drilled into us that they should sleep o their tummys and I did take a lot of stick from the elders over it. As it was DS preferred to sleep on his side

20 years on its drilled into us for them to sleep on their backs, now whos to say it wont change again. As someone pointed out not all countries follow this rule.

As DS2 has Reflux we were advised to sleep him on his tummy if he wanted

pingviner Fri 17-Jul-09 23:30:27

the back to sleep advice is useful, but it is just a guideline and your baby hasnt read it!

DS from 2 weeks on would not settle or sleep on his back, and after numerous miserable nights we tried him on his side. We all got some sleep, and side sleeping seems to be right for him.

By all means, follow the guidelines as much as you can eg the advice about not smoking, no loose sheets, overheating etc, but if the practical solution for your baby is to side sleep then go with it.

pispirispis Fri 17-Jul-09 23:35:05

In Spain where I live the advice is to lie babies on their side from birth, supporting them with a rolled up blanket. The nurse looked horrified in the hospital when I put dd on her back! grin

tokentotty Fri 17-Jul-09 23:42:13

I was taught to lie my children on their side from birth which I did with both and still truly believe it to be the best way. Sadly I have no memory due to having two in 16 months with youngest being 6 months now as to which side they should start on, but think it was right side only for first few weeks as liver and other organs being enlarged, and then after first few weeks alternating side after every nap/sleep.

tokentotty Fri 17-Jul-09 23:46:47

Oh, and agree with pispirispis, I too supported this side sleeping with blankets etc.

Also, have the sleeping on side theory supported by a hugely respected baby osteopath who is lobbying ministers now to encourage it, as since the whole issue of sleeping on backs came up, has noticed an enormous increase in issues created by it. Especially flat head syndrome and numerous other long term problems

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now