I wouldn't keep him off, but I do agree that he isn't going to miss much.
What end of term stuff would you be sending him back for? I don't think you can pick and choose what you send him in for, if you don't want him at school because of the risk of him catching swine flu then he should miss everything, I don't think the school would be very understanding if you start sending him in for the things he doesn't want to miss.
YANBU, (don't think last week of school is v educational)on the other hand, most of the cases in my child's school (confirmed or not) were of the 48 hr variety rather than fullblown week. So even if he gets it, you may find he gets it very mildly. Meanwhile he may get it from some other source unless you keep him and you locked up or running wild over moors.
We are in exactly the same position. I really don't know.... I've informed school that we are making the decision over the weekend. I really really don't want to take it on holiday with us and school is by the far the biggest contact we will have with it at the moment. At the same time, they've worked hard all year and this week is a chance to celebrate and have fun with friends. <dithers>
I now think they should have made it optional for people to send their kids to school considering it is so easily caught and passed there. Especially if you are sending in healthy siblings of a swineflu case. If you NEED the childcare of the last week, or if you don't mind your kids catching it or prepared to take risk, well and good. BUT if you really do not want to catch it or give it to others, I think we should be allowed to exercise our judgement and remove our kids for last week[s) of term. SO YANBU a second time
no-one knows the incubation period if this flu yet, or how infectious it really is, so either keep him off for the rest of term entirely...or just send him in for the whole time. We have broken up already, just as the flu was hitting the local schools, so feel lucky! Ask the school if it will be recorded as authorised or unauthorised absence if you do decide to keep him off.
Sheeta - thats very true. We are thinking the last 3 days of term so that if she gets it she'll display symptoms before we set off.
swanriver - I completely agree. Our school have not even informed parents, not even people I know with asthmatic children. I had heard lots of rumours so I specifically asked with regards to my asthmatic child.
I expect a lot of tourist areas would rather that we were given the choice too. I can't imagine how large campsites/hotels will cope with a rapidly spreading outbreak of flu.
Have you got insurance Tsar? Its silly, I'm pretty practical about getting the flu, but I just feel a bit out of control with regards to the holiday. I do rather like to be in control.
I've done a few things to help reassure me. Have checked with our insurance. Am packing a flu survival kit, including bucket and disinfectant. Lots of meds, extra inhalers. I've been reassured here that the campsite will have the number of the local doctor.
So just this decision to make. Just don't know if its silly or sensible.
Might take her in on the Monday, I've promised dds teacher a morning of help so I'll have a pretty good idea of the situation.