Talk

Advanced search

My blood is boiling at this thread

(516 Posts)
chaosisawayoflife Fri 17-Jul-09 07:23:03

Warning: contains link to a website full of selfish bridezillas worrying about how a woman breastfeeding at their wedding will ruin the day for them.
here

Wallace Fri 17-Jul-09 07:33:49

hmmangry but also grin at that thread.

Love this quote "think it is weird and creepy to feed elderly children"

ilovesprouts Fri 17-Jul-09 07:36:18

grin@ that thread

CarmenSanDiego Fri 17-Jul-09 07:41:54

I spend way too much time reading Mumsnet and love the liberal attitude towards extended breastfeeding, BLW etc.

Then it's always a shock to find the real world and people have these shitty, closed-minded and uber-judgey attitudes that have no real reasoning behind them other than 'URGH!'

That said... a wedding site is going to have a target audience of young and mostly childless women. Plenty of time for them to rethink a few things wink

SoupDragon Fri 17-Jul-09 07:44:43

Oh god, there is a lot of nonsense being spouted on that thread. Its almost worth registering just to reply.

chaosisawayoflife Fri 17-Jul-09 07:47:46

I am wondering if said mother is an mnetter.

bumpsoon Fri 17-Jul-09 07:48:53

I have no experience of extended breatfeeding ,i only fed dd until she was 13months and felt for me that was plenty long enough smile. I do think though that children of 3 and 4 will be having 3 meals a day and drinking non breast milk fluids ,therefore there wouldnt be a problem. I always thought that children who were extended breast fed (sounds painful) did so for comfort when they were tired as opposed to actually needing the milk for nutrition, so the offer of a nice comfy quiet room makes sense to me .

bumpsoon Fri 17-Jul-09 07:49:53

Obviousley i am happy to be corrected by anyone with more knowledge grin

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 17-Jul-09 07:50:56

I'm just pleased it wasn't a textspeak lolhun site. I thought we were alone out here grin

belgo Fri 17-Jul-09 08:01:03

<sigh> it's just so frustrating, I don't know where to start.

I do find that the women who breastfeed for a few months are the ones who are most prudish about breastfeeding and the most judgmental.

They are All For Breastfeeding. Oh Yes absolutely all for breastfeeding Babies BUT only when the child is younger then 6 weeks/4 months/6 months/9 months or not walking/not talking (delete as per prejudice).

And these opinions are the hardest to change because they don't consider themselves prudish, they have no idea that they are being judgmental and prejudiced. They really think that they have the right to hold these judgmental opinions.

Maybe someone should link them to this thread?

wolfnipplechips Fri 17-Jul-09 08:03:25

YABU people get stressed about everything on their wedding day and TB fair to her i know its not right but, extended BF is not really the norm.
Who knows what ignoramus she may have coming to her wedding. I know i used to find it uncomfortable when dhs colleagues would call round to our house to find my friend bf a 4 year old in a very NON discreet way, in fact she used to forget and conversations with her boob in her hand lol at the thought.

The only reason i felt bad is i could see it made the young lads really really uncomfortable. I on the other hand couldn't have cared less. I know that if people excepted it more it wouldn't be an issue but shes a bridegrin she going to find a problem with everyone.

<dons hardhat> i'm ready for my flaming now.

piscesmoon Fri 17-Jul-09 08:21:41

I don't see anything wrong with extended breast feeding, but it isn't necessary when out and the DC can be given a drink of water or a banana or something. I feel sorry for the DC-mine wouldn't have let me keep them babies for so long. In fact DS3 who was the one I wanted to keep as a baby flatly refused!

brandonsflower Fri 17-Jul-09 08:24:06

I love that she is worried a woman with a bare boob will be in her photos!
Because just as the photographer calls for the bridal party to gather for a group photo, she is bound to whip her norks out; they do that you know, those extended breastfeeders- they're only doing it for attention wink

JodieO Fri 17-Jul-09 08:25:29

piscesmoon so are you saying extended bf is a way to keep them babies?? hmm Why should a baby have water when they can (and it's perfectly normal and natural) have breastmilk? It's society and the way they judge breastfeeing that needs to change; the way to do this is by doing it in public more and others being accepting. Not assuming the mum is "trying" to keep their child a baby, it's absurd.

piscesmoon Fri 17-Jul-09 08:28:46

I haven't read the link but if it is about a child over 2 they can be treated as a child when out. They should be taking an interest in the wedding-they do not need breast milk for a few hours!If they are thirsty water would keep them going. If it is a baby-it is different. A toddler can have the same as everyone else while out.

tattycoram Fri 17-Jul-09 08:30:50

I particularly like "Is she thin? All that breast feeding must be burning so many calories." hmmgrin

piscesmoon Fri 17-Jul-09 08:30:59

I breast fed mine fully, they never had a bottle, and I breast fed them everywhere but once they are walking and talking they can manage to have what everyone else is having when out.

WoTmania Fri 17-Jul-09 08:32:34

Can I just run away screaming and hide in a corner.
Fucking awful thread.
angry

bedjumper Fri 17-Jul-09 08:35:07

there do seem to be a couple of sensible posters on that thread who are nicely and politely putting the misguided ones right though, which is heartening.

WoTmania Fri 17-Jul-09 08:40:11

But the misguided (rather more genteel than the term is was going to use) ones were just ignoring the sensible voices.
What gets me is the way they go on about it being the woman's 'choice' to BF her children. No comment on it being the child's choice.
In fac some of the seem to believe you have to force a child to BF. They obviously haven't met my DS2. I dread to think what he'd do if I tried to give up. Actually I do. He'd just kepp bugging me til I gave in.

dizzydixies Fri 17-Jul-09 08:52:00

it worries me that what her guests think takes priorities in her eyes over the health/wellbeing of a child

I wonder if she'll feel the same once she's had her own kids and breastfed them hmm

AppleandMosesMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 08:52:45

Hmmm i'm not sure i would have fed at a wedding though and my dd was 3 when she weaned.

AppleandMosesMummy Fri 17-Jul-09 08:53:32

she has her own kids and breast fed them, it says in the op

dizzydixies Fri 17-Jul-09 08:55:51

ah bollox sorry blush

belgo Fri 17-Jul-09 08:56:43

yes appleandmosesmummy and because she bf her own babies she thinks she has a right to impose her views on everyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now