Talk

Advanced search

to shut door on charity collector without listening to his wholespiel??

(20 Posts)
stonethecrows Thu 16-Jul-09 20:47:42

One of those ones that trys to sign you up to set up a DD to St John's. Shut door before he had even started, but I was polite as I was shutting door...said "No thanks, not interested" Thing is, I'm on MN, it's raining and cold outside, and I really couldn't be bothered to listen.....AIBU or should I have just let him say his piece?

stonethecrows Thu 16-Jul-09 20:55:57

Guess not grin

shigella92 Thu 16-Jul-09 20:58:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

qwertpoiuy Thu 16-Jul-09 20:59:52

I hate the way they ask you for your bank details, yet they're strangers you haven't met before. I know they have ID, but you still don't know. And they can be very pushy.

YANBU

qwertpoiuy Thu 16-Jul-09 21:00:29

x post shigella.

Lilyloo Thu 16-Jul-09 21:00:41

Do they ask for bank details at your door shock

stonethecrows Thu 16-Jul-09 21:04:12

Thank you!! I was feeling the tiniest bit bad as he just said "But why?" in quite a sweet little French accent as I shut the door on him. You've made me feel better!!

shigella92 Thu 16-Jul-09 21:05:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

canttouchthis Thu 16-Jul-09 21:06:22

YANBU. I just say bluntly 'not interested.bye.' nothing wrong with that.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Thu 16-Jul-09 21:07:25

YANBU in the slightest. I never sign up to things at the door be it electricity/gas/chuggers whatever.

It's bad enough that they accost you in the high street, without coming to your farking door as well! angry Should be made illegal IMO - I know some counties are No Cold Calling zones (Bedfordshire springs to mind) and I don't know why all counties don't operate this policy.

ConstantlyCooking Fri 17-Jul-09 08:08:10

I always say "Sorry I never give at the door" sometimes adding " We already have DDs to charities". Then close the door.

NotPlayingAnyMore Fri 17-Jul-09 09:36:51

YANBU - one knocked on my door just as I'd sat down to dinner at 9pm last night angry

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 17-Jul-09 09:43:21

YANBU, just say no thank you and close the door- it will be one of the most polite repsonses they have all morning I suspect.

Also- I signed up for a SJAB one (I was a member years back so felt keen) on premise of small amount a month, chap hadn't mentioned that smallamount a month was in fact taken in one lump sum so ended up severely stuffed! A case of buyer / giver beware.

What happned to cadets collecting spare change door to door- we used to do lots of that for flag week each year, a few tuppences here and there added up to a good few ambulances over the whole week

Nancy66 Fri 17-Jul-09 09:45:24

9pm is the cut off - if they call after this they're breaking the law.

I also hate people coming to my home and asking me for money.

alicecrail Fri 17-Jul-09 09:48:16

I hate being rude, but i have had so many recently that i am starting to lose my rag a bit with them.

I try explaining to them that although it may be a very good cause, i am a sahm with no income, so to pay £2 a month is a lot, when you have £0 going in.

When i was 81/2 months pg, i had a woman in the street stop me. She was from shelter. She started with "I see you're expecting, congratulations. So, how would you feel if you were having a daughter and she was raped. And she didn't feel she could come to you and perhaps your DH was abusing her, wouldn't you like to know she had somewhere to go?" I swear i nearly hit her! (i am very laid back generally)

singingmum Fri 17-Jul-09 09:49:04

Had one of these other day and he just kept talking so decided to play.
Skinny guy and overweight woman.He starts talking about how we could all do with getting healthier and fitter.Cue me and woman with him trying not to laugh as I am v.overweight.
He goes on to say do I know anyone who's had heart probs(he's from the british heart foundation he says) so I reply that yes my grandfather died of them.He then starts going on about not missing the price of a jar of coffee a week would I.
I reply no with smile on my face he starts giving the spiel and then says that they would be calling to collect in a months time.
Notice that so far I haven't agreed to this so decide to tell him my answer as to wether or not I will give.
"No"
He looks at me and says that I have said that I would not miss the money,to which I reply
"No,I won't as I budget to the last penny so therefore always know where and to whom my money goes"
Cue funny look and shock.
I give to charity when I can and already give more practical support to some so am not giving to some scrawnny guy who started by lecturing and then assumed without asking.
So you are def not unreasonable

TheChilliMooseisOnTheLoose Fri 17-Jul-09 09:55:46

I find a loud barking dog helps to get rid of them.

NotPlayingAnyMore Fri 17-Jul-09 10:24:08

alicecrail: shock
All I can say is that she herself likely wasn't from Shelter, but was one of those third party chuggers they hire - a badly or un-trained one at that!

alicecrail Fri 17-Jul-09 10:28:53

I know, i don't blame the charities, just the useless feckers they have hassling people

helsbels4 Fri 17-Jul-09 10:29:51

You can get stickers from your local police station (well my db gave me one as he works for Sussex police) that states that you don't enter into discussions with cold-callers and the like but a few have still knocked on my door. I let them say their opening line then tap on the sticker and say, "I assume you can read?" before closing the door very firmly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now