Talk

Advanced search

Come and beat some MN sense into me. After years of pining for the north, the flat's back on the market and it's looking good.....and now I don't want to go!

(19 Posts)
minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 13:59:58

Yeah....just that, really.
Had an offer accepted on a 4-storey weavers' cottage in a fabulous west Yorkshire area which is well-known for a band contest, friends and family up there, cheaper everything....etc etc
And now I don't want to leave Oxford and our chums, and the general life here - people from all over the world, all the eccentrics and posho-types (and those cracking on to be poshos, who are even funnier)....just Oxford life, really.
Tried moving 18 months ago, which came to nought as the market crashed, but I was gagging to leave.
Now, however, we've settled in the - ahem - v. near Jericho enclave we're in and I just don't want to go.
Just walking to the shop takes half-an-hour as we bump into so many people.
Feeling very sad, tbh.
I know I'll build this kind of life up again in the north, but I shall miss this city desperately.
Come slap some sense into me before I dissolve into a blubbering heap, looking at the dress a neighbour has just bought DD.
Oh no - too late....I'm off.

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:22:24

Anyone........?
Please don't leave me here to sob.

posieparkerinChina Thu 16-Jul-09 14:24:16

Don't go. Sorry.

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:31:36

I know, Posie, but we've got a shoebox flat and 2 children, and there's no way we could upgrade round here.
Plus that - we've got people up north too. It's just that we'd also be uprooting DS (3 in Oct) from his nursery and his chums here - one friend in particular.
I'm being really silly, as it's what we've wanted for a while, but ...... you know.....

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 14:32:37

I moved from the city to the country nearly 2 years ago and had all the feelings you're talking about. Would I go back to city life now? Not a chance! Don't get me wrong, there are aspects that we miss but we can always go and visit, have nights out, stay with friends etc. Plus your city friends can come and visit you too and they will love the life that you have - our friends love coming down to ours and enjoying the peace and quiet of the countryside, same as we love visiting them back in the city. You can have the best of both worlds.

It's natural to feel the way you do. And honestly, if you really hate it, it would be a right pain but you can move back.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 16-Jul-09 14:34:30

Get yourself packed and set off to your wonderful new life.

I would give up the cakes I have just made to move.

MoonchildNo6 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:35:20

By the fact you're calling your friends 'chums' means you haven't a hope in hell of resettling up north! (although to be fair I don't know anyone down here that says that either grin)

It's much colder and rainier in Yorkshire, stay in the sunny south.

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 14:35:35

And by the way, the day we moved.......I cried my eyes out, was totally inconsolable....2 days later I was completely fine smile

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:36:39

Thanks HG. We're only a 20-min train ride from manchester, which is great, so we'd still be able to see big lights and fancy clothes.
Sadly, the way property prices are, we can't come back if we move. We're upgrading to a bigger place which costs less (ludicrous!).
It's cold feet. I know the area as it's where I'm from - I was always homesick for it, but now it's staring me in the face I fear I've become a big southern jessie with an even bigger southern jessie for a DP and 2 kids with funny names.

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:40:37

Ha ha! I started using @chum@ as a joke years ago, and it stuck!
Bakergirl....I was aware posting this that we're quite fortuitous, and so I don't want anyone to think i'm ungrateful, as i'm not.
it's an emotional thing, fundamentally.

StealthPolarBear Thu 16-Jul-09 14:41:09

you're obviously an outgoing person who makes friends easily. in no time at all you'll have it all again...and more!

MoonchildNo6 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:41:44

Don't start calling southerners jessies Minou, you are who you are don't blame your location!

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:43:38

That WAS meant tongue-in-cheek, moonchild. don't get all home counties on my ass!

MoonchildNo6 Thu 16-Jul-09 14:48:42

So was mine you silly moo!

bloody northerners

grin

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:52:04

Thanks, SPB.....i hope so.

minouminou Thu 16-Jul-09 14:58:09

I know, moonchild! But it's the terrifying way you're blinked at with a confused smile and then politely ignored FOR EVER which is an art form here.
Granted....it was occasioned by my singing the first line of "sweaty betty" by the macc lads, but still.......
THAT'S getting home counties on someone's ass!

MoonchildNo6 Thu 16-Jul-09 15:01:13

We do try out best. It's taught here from an early age dont you know wink

PlumBumMum Thu 16-Jul-09 15:05:47

Do it now while your babies are babies will be harder to do when they are older and will remember their friends!

posieparkerinChina Fri 17-Jul-09 16:14:19

I meant to come back to this and find that you've convinced yourself OP!!!! I do this with my dcs, you knowgringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now