Talk

Advanced search

To think that judgements about culture is not racist.....

(2 Posts)
posieparkerinChina Thu 16-Jul-09 13:29:48

I'm with my parents, my father just 'for comedy' used the 'n' word.... So I, of course, was outraged. There's no excuse on top of everything he's not stupid and he's under sixty.

So my mother defended him by saying I'm racist because there are things about the chinese culture I find very hard to tolerate. There's shit loads about the British culture I find very hard to deal with too. But one thing in particular that bugs me is the constant staring, unreserved and even if you look at them like you don't like it or are uncomfortable. Now I accept that this is a cultural thing and I am in China and so don't really have a leg to stand on. I would not dislike a chinese person for this or expect all chinese, worldwide, to do it. Is this racist? Or, like I think, is this just something I hate that happens to be something perfectly acceptable in a different country?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 16-Jul-09 13:34:49

Not racist. There are plenty of things I don't like about other cultures (and plenty I don't like about my own). Culture and race are different things, and using a highly offensive word in jest is vastly different to objecting to a cultural norm that you don't like. Unless you go round calling chinese people effing chinese square eyes or something. But I doubt it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now