Talk

Advanced search

to want my stuff back?

(10 Posts)
makipuppy Wed 15-Jul-09 22:59:31

18 months ago I rented out my flat because DP and I were going overseas for a while and intending to move in with DP when we got back. I'd spent 3 years filling it with things I liked.

The tenants, 3 girls, said they wanted the flat with every last thing in it, furniture, pictures, rugs, cushions, lamps, expensive cookware, all my books. This suited me brilliantly, because I didn't have to get any storage. They renewed for another year.

We got back from overseas, moved to a rented flat, got pregnant, due in a few weeks, and are now hiking round Ikea buying cheap furniture which drives me mad because they have my nice stuff, some of which is quite special to me.

Would I be very out of line to ask them to swap some bits for Ikea stuff?

Fruitysunshine Wed 15-Jul-09 23:03:10

I am not sure of the legalities here - and you are both protected by a contract. I don't see the problem in swapping like for like. But, of course, perhaps that is something you need to discuss with them also - If I was a tenant I would not have an issue with it, don't you do an annual inspection of the property to check everything is still ok and to see if the property needs any maintenance?

littlelamb Wed 15-Jul-09 23:03:35

Serve them notice if you want them out. If there's no new contract, it's termed a rolling contract and you'll only need to give them a months notice. I'm shock at you leaving everything there though. I hope you had a damn good inventory, or you're stuffed if anything is missing

KingCanuteIAm Wed 15-Jul-09 23:10:49

You could take the upgrade option, as they have been in the flat some time. Tell them you wish to update the flat in order tokeep its value and you will pay for suitable accomodation whilst this is done. Pay for one night at a local travelodge or similar. Get in, remove the furniture you want, spruce up the lounge, kitchen and bathroom with a coat of paint etc. Put back new, contemporary, matching furniture and hey presto, they have an updated flat and you have your bits back. Ensure you make a new inventory detailing all items removed and all items added and get them to sign it. You cannot take anything and not replace it so make sure you have it planned to the last detail.

makipuppy Wed 15-Jul-09 23:13:12

Well, I want them to stay - it would be really hard to find tenants to pay the same amount in this market, and they have been great. I just want to take out some of the expensive stuff and replace it with Ikea.

I had a professional inventory done - also I've been round several times for jobs etc. and we're on very good terms. They're nice people and are looking after my stuff.

Lots of people have said I was silly to leave everything there, but it suited me very well at the time because we were leaving the country.

I was wondering if I could name some items and let them choose replacements from the Ikea catalogue?

kormachameleon Wed 15-Jul-09 23:16:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelamb Wed 15-Jul-09 23:17:24

I'm sure they are lovely, but letting them pick their own replacement stuff is a bit too nice imo. The stuff you pick now is the stuff that will be left behind when they move out, so just make sure it won't date the flat too badly and will be hardwearing. They'll still be getting a more than generous deal

makipuppy Wed 15-Jul-09 23:21:44

Thanks Korma, I suppose they don't own the stuff. I just feel it's cheeky to take things they've been using for nearly two years. Perhaps I'm just a wimp - I've given them everything they've asked for inc an expensive big new fridge..

King - bit extreme for a wimp like me!

kormachameleon Wed 15-Jul-09 23:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KingCanuteIAm Wed 15-Jul-09 23:25:41

grin

It does work, they feel great because you are upgrading their flat and you feel great because you get what you want and have happy tenants to boot!

If you are going for the plain replacement idea please don't give them the book, as has been said this is your flat, they can leave next month if they want to and you have to relet it. The choices have to be sensible ones, ones that you would be happy to show prospective tenants!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now