Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up that DH doesn't make a fuss of me on my birthday?

(10 Posts)
beonit Tue 14-Jul-09 19:19:00

So, it's my birthday today, and my nose is feeling very out of joint as I feel DH has barely acknowledged the day. He managed a card this morning - fished out of a drawer full of emergency cards we keep upstairs, and, to be fair, he wants to buy me a specific (expensive) present that I've been intending to get for a while, but haven't had time to look for it properly.

But TBH it's not about presents - I wouldn't care if he had just bought me a book or a bunch of flowers. What I really want from him is some affection - a nice cuddle in bed, an offer to get DD up so I can have a few minutes more in bed, a genuine interest in the question of what I might have been up to today. I just feel really flat - my family and my best friend have bothered to ring me to wish me happy birthday and have a chat, but I feel like I'm not getting anything from him at all (and again, I'm not talking presents here...) Right now he's upstairs listening to music or something while I watch the news down here. I feel miserable.

I also feel a bit pathetic - seems a bit childish to really care about birthdays. Isn't it just another day?

So, hit me with it. Am I being unreasonable?!

JohnDory Tue 14-Jul-09 19:20:54

I got an emergency card this year after many a great birtdhay

words were had

allaboutme Tue 14-Jul-09 19:21:25

have you had dinner yet?
go up and with a smile on your face ask him what he's got planned for yor birthday dinner?
if he hasnt got anything planned, then suggest he arranges a dinner out for the two of you later in the week as a birthday treat seeing as you've not 'had time' to celebrate much today?
make him realise that you want a bit of fuss and attention!

minko Tue 14-Jul-09 19:24:00

No YANBU. Men just aren't that thoughtful sometimes though. Mine isn't anyway...

I'd have words if he's not even doing anything for this evening though. Have you had dinner? Get a takeaway at the very least!

minko Tue 14-Jul-09 19:25:01

x-post sorry. It's all about the food!

Seabright Tue 14-Jul-09 19:28:35

Happy Birthday. My DP regularly forgets my birthday. It is next week & I think he's forgotten again. I haven't had a present to open on my birthday (from anyone, him or family) for three years and it looks like this will be the fourth.

Like you, I just wish someone could spare me a little thought for one day.

beonit Tue 14-Jul-09 19:44:40

Thank you for not telling me I'm being a childish cow!

Things have looked up slightly. Basically I demanded take-away pizza(great minds think alike!) and he has just gone out to get it - usually something I would always do.

As he left, he said (with heavy irony) "I shall get the pizza because I love you." He knows I'm pissed off because I told him so. I don't suppose it will change anything in future, but at least I haven't completely bottled it up as I often do.

beonit Tue 14-Jul-09 19:46:30

By the way, Seabright, I do hope your DP does better than mine next week. x

karala Tue 14-Jul-09 19:50:18

Happy Birthday and have a virtual glass of champagne! You are definitely not being unreasonable - if a treat hasn't turned up this evening then suggest that you celebrate at the weekend which will give him a couple of days to get things sorted.

bedjumper Tue 14-Jul-09 19:55:03

seabright - start now and comment on how you are looking forward to your birthday and has he anything planned yet?
mention once a day how excited you are to see what he has planned and you WILL have a better birthday
If he is rubbish at organising things, YOU book a table and a babysitter and then let him pay on the night while you enjoy yourself rather than sitting at home feeling forgotten.
If you know now that he has forgotten with a week to go and you dont remind him, then you are as responsible as he is for you being miserable on the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now