Talk

Advanced search

To not take tamiflu because I am breastfeeding

(19 Posts)
smallblessings Tue 14-Jul-09 12:21:03

I may have swineflu and have been prescribed tamiflu. My Doctors surgery has told me that it is 1) safe to take when breastfeeding 2) under 1s can be prescribed it. I have read that the side effects are not known and it is not suitable for under 1s. Please help....

LupusinaLlamasuit Tue 14-Jul-09 12:28:35

I thought the other one (Relenza?) was supposed to be targeted at BF mothers?

I would get a second opinion, or ring NHS direct, or ring one of the BF helplines (as I imagine they will have had to find out the answer to this pretty quickly recently?)

Or all of the above.

You might get a better answer on the BF forum by the way.

Upwind Tue 14-Jul-09 12:29:07

I don't know.

I can tell you that when I had direct exposure to confirmed swine flu, I was advised that I should not take tamiflu when breastfeeding.

Since I never actually developed any symptoms, I stopped worrying. I think it is probably something that has not been researched well, and you will have to make a judgement call, based on your own circumstances and the risks and benefits.

KDD2009 Tue 14-Jul-09 12:30:34

I had Flu when I was pregnant and was not perscribed anything even though I was really ill.

If the Doctor has perscribed this for you I would say it was for a good reason.

If you are worried then do a little reserch yourself but I would be more worried about the effects of the Flu seeing as you are vunerable now.

I understand your concerns but you have to ask yourself if it worth not taking it?

Good luck (and health)

fluffyanimal Tue 14-Jul-09 12:39:40

Found this link for you. It is mostly about pregnant women but mentions breastfeeding as well.
www.nhs.uk/news/2009/07July/Pages/Antiviralsinpregnancy.aspx

AllieAllie Tue 14-Jul-09 13:34:45

Relenza is the 1st drug of choice for pregnant women. It's however not suitable for people with asthma and other conditions. So unless you have asthma or other breathing /chest problems, Relenza could have been prescribed for you.

So go back to your doctor and speak to them urgently. Doctors are not always aware of everything.

Good luck and all the best
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/Adviceforpregnantwomen.aspx

mumtoted Tue 14-Jul-09 13:42:19

I would concentrate on boosting my immune system which in turn will help your baby too. The virulence of disease has everything to do with the health of the person with it. Eat plenty of fresh,healthy (organic if poss) seasonal fruit & veg,
eggs etc. Not sure if you can take echinacea when feeding but this is a proven natural anti viral.

wasabipeas Tue 14-Jul-09 13:58:40

I'm sorry mumtoted, but that is total nonsense
There is NO scientific evidence to suggest taking echinacea is an effective antiviral and to suggest that someone takes that instead of a prescribed medicine is nothing short of stupid
There have been a couple of since discredited studies showing echinacea helps shorten the length of a cold

MiniMarmite Tue 14-Jul-09 14:30:44

This is an extract from the Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) for Tamiflu used by Healthcare Professionals when prescribing:

emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/10446/SPC/Tamiflu+75mg+hard+capsule/#PREGNANCY

and this is from Relenza:

emc.medicines.org.uk/medicine/2608/SPC/Relenza+5mg+dose+inhalation+powder./#PREGNANCY

So, it seems that there is some animal data regarding pregnancy but little or none regarding lactation for either product.

This is the WHO advice www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Children/Maternity/Maternalandinfantnutrition/DH_099965

I agree with Lupusina that calling NHS is a good idea - WHO states that pregnant women should take Relenza due to lower exposure. The Tamiflu SmPC has more relaxed wording around breastfeeding.

If it were me I would be concerned too but I think I would probably take either as that could help me recover more quickly and continuing to feed the baby which could contribute to keeping the baby healthy. They have presumably been prescribed to you because the doctor feels that the benefit outweighs the risk of any potential side effects on your baby.

I hope you feel better soon.

mumtoted Tue 14-Jul-09 14:31:26

Well it works brilliantly on my family so thank goodness for good old placebo effect. And so does black elderberry.

noddyholder Tue 14-Jul-09 14:38:01

until there is more evidence about the exact details of this virus it is not wise to try and 'boost' anything as sometimes an over active immune reaction to a virus/bug can be more dangerous than and under reaction.It happened to me and was dreadful.

smallblessings Tue 14-Jul-09 15:24:59

Thanks for all your replies. I read fluffyanimals link <<<<<thank you>>>> and decided to take the tamiflu and keep breastfeeding. smile

poface Tue 14-Jul-09 18:03:19

smallblessings I'd be interested to know how your baby tolerates it - just in case we are in that position later on - I can't take relenza as asthmatic. How are you feeling?

LeonieSoSleepy Wed 15-Jul-09 08:07:30

Message withdrawn

smallblessings Wed 15-Jul-09 10:14:43

Hi poface,

Well I have took 2 doses and baby seems fine! I actually feel great and my other DD who is supposed to have SF too seems a lot better. I am honestly wondering if this is it?

poface Wed 15-Jul-09 10:52:41

Glad you're all feeling ok!

Qally Wed 15-Jul-09 22:36:36

My 9 month old had to take Tamiflu syrup. I was worried, as there are question marks over safety in the under 1s, but he was very ill, so we decided the balance was in favour. He was fine - and is all better now.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 22:58:13

Message withdrawn

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 16-Jul-09 10:26:11

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now