Talk

Advanced search

to take baby with me for smear test?

(27 Posts)
Dysgu Tue 14-Jul-09 09:03:29

Am dashing around getting DD1 (aged 2.10yo) ready for childminder.

Am on ML with DD2 - she is 29 weeks old so just a baby.

I have a smear test booked for 10am and my mum, who was going to have DD2 whilst I went to clinic, has just called to say she can't as has migraine and off to bed.

DP is working on mainland - we live on an island.

CM is full.

AIBU to think I can take the baby in with me to have a smear test? Figure she can sit in her car seat and won't have any idea about what is going on.

But would the nurse mind?

WWYD?

CMOTdibbler Tue 14-Jul-09 09:04:58

I took DS with me when I had smear, and then for coil fitting. No problem at all, and he just stayed in his pushchair

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 14-Jul-09 09:05:01

I've taken DD to my coil check up - there was no problem.

It will be fine.

SarahL2 Tue 14-Jul-09 09:05:26

I took my DS with me when I went for a smear test when he was teeny and the nurse didn't mind at all.

Wouldn't do it now as he's old enough to ask "what doin' Mummy?" but at 29 weeks I can't see a problem

geordieminx Tue 14-Jul-09 09:05:41

As long as she'll be ok in her car seat then I'm sure it'll be fine - if it sint the nurse will tell you and you'll have to make another appointment

BootleBumtrinket Tue 14-Jul-09 09:06:35

I'd take her. I took mine to a smear shortly after giving birth and the nurse was a bit stroppy with me but he lay quietly on his mat so I don't see what the issue was. I had no family to look after him and was new the the area.

Have since changed GPs though and they are much nicer at new one!

Take her.

crokky Tue 14-Jul-09 09:06:40

I took my DD in a baby car seat for a smear. It was fine.

Sarey1 Tue 14-Jul-09 09:07:50

I don't think YABU - I had to take my DS (7 months) in with me when I had mine and while I felt odd with him sitting there in his seat smiling at me smile, the nurse didn't mind and my DS wasn't bothered either. Couldn't do it now though - he's walking and it would be a nightmare!

Dysgu Tue 14-Jul-09 09:08:11

Thank you for such quick replies everyone.

I thought it would be okay but wasn't sure so good to check.

She is very easy, placid baby so won't be a problem herself.

smile

CarmenSanDiego Tue 14-Jul-09 09:08:37

I've sat and breastfed through doctors' appointments, pausing for her to examine me. It's fine. Can't see a nurse would mind unless the baby was screaming.

notevenamousie Tue 14-Jul-09 09:13:07

I've done smears, GUM clinic blush and my coil with my daughter aged between 6 and 22 months. So should be fine. Wondering if your on the same island now!

Firawla Tue 14-Jul-09 11:14:09

YANBU i take mine to any appointments i have to go to.
so far managed to avoid smear tests but have been told after dc2 is born i will have to go and have one, so i will probably be taking both ds1 (1 yr) & dc2 with me, or else not going. If nurse has a problem i think she is the one being very U!!

Niecie Tue 14-Jul-09 11:21:08

I also took a 6 week old and a 3yr old to have a coil fitted - same sort of principle as a smear - you are flat on your back, legs akimbo. Dr and nurse were fine about it even though DS2 kicked off after 5 minutes. Smears only take a moment too so much quicker.

Even the 3 yr old didn't really care what was going on so I wouldn't worry.

Got a smear myself this afternoon!

suwoo Tue 14-Jul-09 11:21:13

I've had to take both of mine to the gynaecologist/ for smears/ for colposcopies....the lot! DD is 7 too grin

This is what happens when you have no help with childcare.

HolidaysQueen Tue 14-Jul-09 11:21:41

I've done a full smear/colonoscopy with a 14mo. He provided a happy distraction for me, the nurse and the doctor You'll be fine!

ChairmumMiaow Tue 14-Jul-09 11:21:52

DS was a bit older when I had mine. I spoke to the docs when I booked it as I hadn't confirmed childcare and they said they don't like to have them in the room but they'll take the pushchair behind the desk and a receptionist will watch them for you

In the end I didn't need it but it was nice to know the lovely receptionists would at least try to entertain him! Its worth a try.

HolidaysQueen Tue 14-Jul-09 11:22:08

I think I meant colposcopy blush Colonoscopy is something completely different!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Tue 14-Jul-09 11:23:37

I had to take my youngest with me when I had a smear and a receptionist held him while I went to another room. He was about 10 months old.

It won't be a problem.

sfxmum Tue 14-Jul-09 11:23:40

I took my then near 4 yrs old to my smear I explained broadly what would happen and when she walked in she just sat there chatting to the nurse
I have taken her as well when I needed blood tests, they don't bother me so thought it was fine probably would not if they scared me

Dysgu Tue 14-Jul-09 11:33:57

Thank you everyone.

It all went fine. DD2 gurgled in her pushchair and nurse loved her.

(Both DDs prem so we have spent more than our fair share of time at clinic - quite well known).

notevenamousie IoW?

Pyrocanthus Tue 14-Jul-09 12:55:04

As long as you're the one having the test - no problem.

GiraffesCanRunA10k Tue 14-Jul-09 12:58:24

sfxmum - that sounds a great idea. Bring them up with it normalized and they are more likely to go for it themselves.

ElenorRigby Tue 14-Jul-09 13:01:18

YANBU, take her. I had to take DD with me to my Osteopath when she was about 6 months, she looked a bit quizzical but was fine.

LovingTheRain Tue 14-Jul-09 13:07:48

Take her. I had to take all four of mine once as DH's flight had been delayed by 24 hours. They didn't mind atall and the children were a welcome distraction for me!

shhhh Tue 14-Jul-09 21:33:45

Do it! Nurse won't mind and so what if she did..! its your child and your choice.

I remember taking dd along to a ST. She was only 2-3 months old and the nurse didn't mind at all...although shen laughed and said, when your next one is due you may not be so keen..esp as dd will then be 3 and you may well be in tesco when your dd decides to announce to all what she had witnessed...shock

I never took her to the next one but as a baby it wasn't an issue.!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now