Talk

Advanced search

to ask everyone to sign this to try and get schools to put suncream on children....

(20 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 07:58:51

sign this petition and see if they will get this sorted

hocuspontas Tue 14-Jul-09 08:12:05

What - because parents can't be bothered to show the children how to apply it?

And what happens if the school miss a bit?

By the time the school have applied 30 lots of suncream (changing plastic gloves each time) playtime will be over...

watsthestory Tue 14-Jul-09 08:14:39

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 08:16:17

No.

I put once-a-day cream on my children in the morning. It is my responsibility. The school's responsibility is to teach my children.

Picante Tue 14-Jul-09 08:16:30

Never heard of having to wear plastic gloves - teachers touch children all the time. And if they've had permission, what's the problem?

pooka Tue 14-Jul-09 08:16:52

I don't think schools should be given the responsibility of applying cream to all the children in a class (which could be 30 plus).

They are then open to criticism if a bit gets missed, and the time spent playing would be dramatically reduced.

I think schools should supply a large bottle of the stuff in the classroom, and the children should put their own cream on. If children have allergies or skin sensitivity, then they should be able to take their own cream in.

Parents should teach their children about sun cream application, hat wearing and keeping in the shade during the middle part of the day.

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 08:18:04

Picante, cross contamination of different brands of suncream. If your child has a reaction to another child's cream, who are you going to haul over the coals?

southeastastra Tue 14-Jul-09 08:19:11

maybe they should provide lots more shaded areas

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 08:20:12

So thats a yes to AIBU then LOL

I can't believe that the only people reading this are the ones who are saying no...are you all teachers grin

I just believe that children should not come home from school with burns that leave lasting damage to their health, that is unacceptable.

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 08:21:48

"I just believe that children should not come home from school with burns that leave lasting damage to their health, that is unacceptable."

I agree but I think it is unacceptable for their parents to let that happen when there are alternatives.

SoupDragon Tue 14-Jul-09 08:22:04

And no, I'm not a teacher.

plimple Tue 14-Jul-09 08:22:25

Just make sure they wear a hat.

watsthestory Tue 14-Jul-09 08:24:17

Message withdrawn

abraid Tue 14-Jul-09 08:24:52

I'm not a teacher but this is MY responsibility.

JodieO Tue 14-Jul-09 08:25:13

Why can't the parents apply in the morning and send the child in with a bottle to reapply at lunchtime if needed? How can 1 teacher apply 30 lots of suncream in the time they have? It's not reasonable and I'm not a teacher.

My ds2 has aveeno suncream as he's allergic and has bad eczema and I wouldn't want the teacher getting another brand on him by mistake.

juuule Tue 14-Jul-09 08:29:57

I won't be signing. I try to avoid suncreams if possible.

Same as Southeastastra I think that more shaded areas should be provided.

clayre Tue 14-Jul-09 08:34:38

i taught my dd to apply suncream herself i wouldnt expect the school to do it, shes only 6

MorningTownRide Tue 14-Jul-09 08:57:55

No, I would not expect the school to apply suncream.

DD is fully clothed and wears a sun hat and the school has plenty of shaded areas.

Teachers are for teaching.

2rebecca Tue 14-Jul-09 08:58:37

If you put sunscreen on your child on a morning and give them a hat they should be fine. They shouldn't get that much exposure in a school day, this sounds like someone being OTT and neurotic about a minor issue. School age kids can be given a small ssample of sunscreen (Boots do portable sachets) and apply it to their own arms, face and legs if you're that bothered.
Teachers have jobs to do.

seeker Tue 14-Jul-09 09:05:21

Exactly when is a teacher going to sun-cream 30 children? Even if it only takes a minute a child that's half an hour. Just not practical.

At our school they aren't allowed out to play without a hat. They are also reminded about sunscreen.

My dd is pale skinned and red haired and burns incredibly quickly. I sun screened her in the morning, made sure she had a hat and reminded her to top up the sun screen if she was outside for games. She never got burnt at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now