Talk

Advanced search

today we took the younger 3 kids to the deer centre....

(25 Posts)
drlove8 Mon 13-Jul-09 21:19:14

... and its shit! ... theres 10 fields all next to each other and a walkway going by them. there is 9 species of deer (whoopie do) and you can see them standing about.... thats about it really ... £6 for an adult and £4 for a child.they have a bird bit too, they sit on perches.... one was lying on the ground and ds3 said look a dead one!. there is also a fox enclosure, and two wolves .... but since theyre only out a night its a bit pointless...hmm... oh forgot to say they charge £1 for a bag of "food" for the deer... yes thats right,,,they charge you for feeding the animals for them ! i dont think ive ever spent a more dull afternoon in my life... dc were more excited about going to asda on the way home shock. so aibu to think its just a massive rip off--- i had ironing to do (i fecking hate ironing btw!)

dizzymare Mon 13-Jul-09 21:22:11

Where is this place, it sounds bloody awfulshock

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 21:22:54

well. what were you expecting them to do?
tricks? lol

ok, i might have wanted a bit more of a bigger, more natural environment. but ateotd they'd have still just been standing around doing nothing

lockets Mon 13-Jul-09 21:26:05

Message withdrawn

Thunderduck Mon 13-Jul-09 21:29:27

What exactly were you expecting the deer to do? Break into an interprative dance?

OrmIrian Mon 13-Jul-09 21:31:37

Bugger! Next time let them know in advance and they can arrange some sort of performance. Or perhaps a cull! That would be exciting. What were you expecting?

lockets Mon 13-Jul-09 21:33:40

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 21:39:14

sniggering at interpretive dance thunderduck! lol

sorry OP. i do think you probably paid over the odds tbh.

seeker Mon 13-Jul-09 21:39:43

Whay were you expecting? Prancer and Dancer and Donner and Blitzen and all the rest? Or what?

4andnotout Mon 13-Jul-09 21:40:19

I think the clue was in the name deer centre rather than amazing deer circus wink

Thunderduck Mon 13-Jul-09 21:42:20

Sorry interpretive, my fingers are moving fast than my brain.blush

Perhaps they could have staged Bambi: The musical?

drlove8 Mon 13-Jul-09 21:42:24

its near cuper. it stinks too!...lol @ interprative danceing deer , now that would have been intresting! wink. dont really know what i was expecting, but i thought there would at least have been a petting area, where the kids could have seen the deer properly ,instead of staring at them through a fence.

mumeeee Mon 13-Jul-09 21:44:25

It was a deer centre and 9 species are quite a lot to see. It is often very hard to see Deer so it was good that you could see them/ Also foxes don't always just come out at night. They admission price was a bit expensive but otherwise that is what happens at these type of centres.My DDs would have loved it when they were younger. They sell you deer food to stop you gfeding them unsutable dtuff and small children usually love feeding animals.

drlove8 Mon 13-Jul-09 21:45:06

there was reindeer , but i dont think they had names tbh!
bambi the musical! grin...trust you thunderduck - you always make me laugh!

Thunderduck Mon 13-Jul-09 21:46:10

Well it'd certainly be worth the ticket price then wouldn't it?grin

drlove8 Mon 13-Jul-09 21:51:16

thing is i took the older kids to a city -mini farm, in glasgow years ago and it was much better... there was all different sorts of little animals , rabbits, guinee pigs, chickens, goats , sheep ect.. and it was much more kid friendly... there was staff who spoke to the kids about the animals and they got to stroke some of them (rabbits ect). i think if the deer centre had something like that there it would have been fab. instead it had little posters with faded info ,so you didnt really know what you were looking at , or what to tell the kids.... everyother deer was called rudolf according to ds3!

Thunderduck Mon 13-Jul-09 21:56:57

Perhaps if you find the time you could e-mail or write to them with those suggestions?

If they sold venison burgers that might liven them up a little.grin They'd really put on a show then.

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 22:00:35

i agree. write to them. i was going to say maybe they don't have much money to improve, but then i remembered your entry charges! although maybe if they don't have very many visitors they don't make much?~

anyway, i'd def write and say you were disappointed.

lockets Mon 13-Jul-09 22:04:43

Message withdrawn

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 22:06:33

we went to the deer centre last summer and we enjoyed it. The wolves were out, they don't just come out at night. There was a nice woodeny bridge walkway through the trees to look at squirrels, there was a bird of prey show, we could pat and feed deer.

For the price of going to the cinema I thought it was alright.

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 22:08:03

go to the cairnie fruit farm - it was an ace day out. Truly.

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 22:08:29

(although the berries don't do much)

drlove8 Mon 13-Jul-09 22:09:12

lockets - loved the link grin roflol

drlove8 Mon 13-Jul-09 22:12:00

pointydog , wish i had ... i lurve fruit picking! its fab, the kids usually try and eat as much a i put in the punnets lol havent been for years though !grin ... am defo gonna go soon!

lolster Tue 14-Jul-09 08:16:33

I thought the deer centre was ok. My DS loved the adventure playground in the middle of it.

On your way you would have passed the Fife Animal Park and Muddy Boots farm. They are both really good. Muddy boots costs £4 per child and is free for adults and you could easily spend a whole morning or afternooon there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now