Talk

Advanced search

To ask the nursery to give the kids full fat milk instead of semi skimmed???

(17 Posts)
NewTeacher Mon 13-Jul-09 15:12:00

My daughter is 3 and attends nursery from 8-6pm.

She has breakfast, lunch, tea and snacks whilst there and is given milk to drink.

I assumed that the milk provided was the blue top (full fat) but I've seen the milk being delivered to nursery and its the green top (semi skimmed).

Anything I've read says that ff milk is better for young uns. Nothing says that ss is bad as such, but considering the cost is the same shouldnt they use FF ?

AIBU and should I ask the nursery to now but the ff stuff instead?

NewTeacher Mon 13-Jul-09 15:12:53

buy oops!

Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Mon 13-Jul-09 15:13:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyslippers Mon 13-Jul-09 15:14:09

nothing wrong with SS for a healthy 3 year old

mamakim Mon 13-Jul-09 15:14:33

I believe they now say semi is better for over twos - what with the whole childhood obesity stuff.

mamakim Mon 13-Jul-09 15:16:00

link

belgo Mon 13-Jul-09 15:16:03

Most children have so much fat in their diets they don't need full fat.

I've always given my children ss, from the age of about 2years.

NewTeacher Mon 13-Jul-09 15:16:21

mamakim is that really true must investigate.

thanks for replies so far.

sunburntats Mon 13-Jul-09 15:18:57

I had this discussion a couple of years ago on here.
I gave my ds ff milk till he was 5.
It apears in fact that there is no more calcium content in ff milk than there is in ss milk.
It really is just the fat content.
As mine didnt eat very much, i preferred him to have ff so that i knew that he was getting at least one source of fat every day.
Apparently they need ff stuff till they are 1ish for brain development, after that ss is fine.

NewTeacher Mon 13-Jul-09 15:22:09

Thankyou ladies. So I was worrying for no reason.

I'll keep giving her FF at home as she doesnt eat biscuits and cakes so not a worry about obesity.

Feeling a whole lot better now! Cheers.

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 15:23:50

very little difference between ff and semi skimmed

RamblingRosa Mon 13-Jul-09 15:27:18

YANBU. I had the same conversation with nursery but DD was about 18 months. I think the guidelines are full fat up until 2 years and then switch to semi skimmed but if you want to give her FF then maybe you could take your own milk in?

mumeeee Mon 13-Jul-09 22:02:19

Semi skimmed is actually better for over twos than full fat milk. CArry on giving her full fat at home if you want to but let the nursery give her semiskimmed.

queenofthenewyear Mon 13-Jul-09 22:17:48

Maybe YAB a bit U - they probably have to adhere to current health advice and give lower-fat milk to over 2's.

MissSunny Mon 13-Jul-09 22:20:38

Message withdrawn

Uriel Mon 13-Jul-09 22:29:02

You might be interested in this -

Whole milk contains some vitamin A, however levels in semi skimmed and skimmed milks are much lower.

From the Dairy Council.

Firawla Mon 13-Jul-09 23:01:46

atleast if she has semi @ nursery and full fat @ home she wont grow up fussy about the different milks. many people only drink one kind and dislike the others because its what they grew up with. i don't think its a big deal if they give them semi skimmed after age 2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now