Talk

Advanced search

to think that my boss is an idiot?

(8 Posts)
bleh Mon 13-Jul-09 15:01:53

Basically, we have found out recently that there was a lot of Machiavellian scheming going on, our old boss was forced out so that the friend of someone quite senior could come in instead. So, this is our (now not so) new boss. Relations between the team and our boss and line manager (also a friend, brought in a couple of months ago to "manage" the team) deteriorated hugely. Then, a couple of weeks ago, the team was sent on a team building exercise as apparently we weren't working well together (though we do work VERY well together).

They then asked us to present our findings and ideas on what could be done to improve things. We got the sweetest, longest serving member of the team to present. As soon as she started speaking, you could see the barriers coming up, and the boss started shouting at us. They barely listened to a single suggestion, and when we asked to be allowed to do things like work from home(allowed under our employment contract), they did not listen and started saying that they couldn't work from home, hence no one could. Then, there's been some conflict with other areas, where they were doing our work (and badly). I pointed one of the situations out, and she said, don't bother getting involved. She would rather not make enemies, even though what could happen is a major risk.

Roll on the day when they bring in 360 reviews because these people are TERRIBLE and at present, we have no other recourse.

Rant over.

tyotya Tue 14-Jul-09 10:24:39

My experience is, that about 99% of effort at work goes into putting up with aggravation. Hence all those expressions like GRD (grinning, running and ducking) and SEG (sh*t eating grin). You can either handle it, keep your job and possibly work your way up the career ladder in that company, or leave and be branded as a job-swapping moaner or, if you're very lucky, land on your feet. Or, leave and start your own business. The choice is yours.

OhBling Tue 14-Jul-09 10:27:01

Oh Bleh, it's weird, there are amusing similarities it seems between your world and mine.

YANBU

Hope you enjoyed the rant?! grin.

bleh Tue 14-Jul-09 10:29:03

It helped massively grin

This morning they were chatting to my colleague about a database that we set up years ago, and they kept on saying "nobody told me about this". I just sat there going: yes I did, and you said it was rubbish.

OhBling Tue 14-Jul-09 11:38:29

Yup. Been there. Done that. got the nail marks in my hand from clenching my fists so tightly....

My personal favourite is ongoing crisis for the last 12 months. I have briefed multiple times. I can just about cope with bosses not remembering the briefing. I am almost okay with them insisting on me going back to check things that I KNOW the answer to. The big I cannot forgive? Claimed he'd never heard of it and tried to give the whole thing, as a new crisis, to someone else in the team who knows NOTHING about it.

bleh Tue 14-Jul-09 11:56:25

Ah yes, the giving-work-to-the-ignorant person scenario. One I know well. That keeps on happening, and then when said ignorant person messes everything up, it normally lands back on my desk to sort out.

Maybe we are in the same job? Hmmmmm

Rindercella Tue 14-Jul-09 12:02:42

<<hope you're not posting this from a work computer>>

Sounds rubbish though, tiy have my sympathies.

Rindercella Tue 14-Jul-09 12:03:42

ahem, you have my sympathies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now